This guy needs a fat lip

MitchellC

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 28, 2016
I think pulling the leash of a kook is a dick move.

Depending on the pecking order, I tend to surf pretty aggressively in the line-up. If I don't recognize someone, or they're not that impressive (I watch everyone to assess), then I'll act like they don't exist. (OTOH, since I've long lost any spot @ the pier, I'm pretty meek these days when I visit the peak.)

That means paddling right past them back out after a wave, sitting a few feet away if they're anywhere close to where I've ID'd the peak, etc.

So, anyway, this past summer I'm doing my standard routine and a guy who looked like a brazzo got annoyed and grabbed my leash. I acted like I didn't know, or that he may have done it unintentionally - after all, I was inches away as I paddled back out past him.

Anyway, yet another set pops up exactly where I'd been sitting, and I took off once again. I think by this time he got the message, because he eventually drifted off to another peak.

I guess the message is: don't do pussy things like grab a leash unless you can back it up.

MitchellC

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 28, 2016
Where do you guys surf where there are so many kooks? My local is a highly concentrated zone of (a few) CT, more QS, hot locals and traveling photo surfers - along with internationals just "checking it out".

I'm so past my prime I'm relegated to 1 or 2 towers either N or S*. Cannot deal with the necessary level of testosterone and aggression to catch waves at the peak anymore - a sure sign of getting older.

*But still close enough to hear the heckling, yelling & screeching. In my experience, that creates a great environment for catching waves, because it tends to bother a lot of people and make them distracted.

MitchellC

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 28, 2016
Not to entirely change the topic, but I have a question for GWS. Remember last week when Harvest hit 14'? Well, I wasted my time checking out a few places and then drove home. I was bored so I decided to walk out on the pier just to look at the ocean.

There were 3 guys on the S side surfing the lefts. It was really big and drifty and I couldn't tell whether the guys were kooks or pros. Well, a huge set came in and one guy whipped and went - definitely not a kook. Really impressive, actually, as he kicked out before the pilings (this is the very end of the pier).

The 3 guys traded a few waves, all charging. Eventually, the rip/drift got to them and they got carried away. Tired of battling - and with the wind coming up - they all got waves in.

I was walking back to my car anyway, and got a little excited with the prospect of trying to ID the one goofy foot who was the most impressive. I did my most casual drive by lurk as he was getting out of his wetsuit. He had a brand new Roberts gun, and he was next to another guy who had some photo equipment.

I took a look @ Roberts' team rider page, but couldn't ID him. Any idea who it was? Mid 20s, 6' tall, board was probably 7' or maybe 7'6". Oh, wears a hoody and has a small moustache.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
MitchellC said:
<snip>
That looks like a normal, "who gives a sh!t" type of day where people are just trying to get wet
<snip>
* Fun fact: I've never surfed between D&Ws and Sunset. Sunset once driving home from work on a huge, messy winter swell with a negative low tide right before sunset. Wasn't too bad out around the back on the exposed sandbar.
Hiya MitchellC!
Dude, you nailed it with what I snip~ied!
Don't we all just wanna paddle out, get wet,
have FUN, before we all have to then deal with real life, with what's ever goin' on in our lives???
Same with that surfer girl, I'd betcha too. And some dude felt the need to jock her, and then, yank her off her ride that she legitimately had caught, before dealin' with her real life sheee~it...
:wave2:

Look,
there are some 8 to 10 millions pep's hangin' around/livin' in L.A.
I was~a born here, at UCLA no less. No, not in class~room or hall~way, but at Thee Hospital waaaay back in' '62. So I'm very aware of how crowded L.A. has become. And we ALL try to co~exist! And, for the most part, do so...

That said,
there are in~deed some fun waves to be had here!
Even waves easily seen off the road of PCH can be fun, if ya get my drift...
As this dude saw, again, this evenin' at 4:54:40pm as he paddled back out after ridin' another!

With only 2 other dudes out there, wind off~shore + water temp at 61.0°,
you know he had fun this evenin' in L.A.
Get some too, when ya can...
RW
:jam_on:

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
casa_mugrienta said:
ifallalot said:
Has she registered here yet?
Maybe post a link to this thread in her facebook.
+1

That's a no leash day if I've ever seen one
If she wasn't wearing that leash it would have never happened
#burnyourbras&leashes

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
MitchellC said:
Not to entirely change the topic, but I have a question for GWS. Remember last week when Harvest hit 14'? Well, I wasted my time checking out a few places and then drove home. I was bored so I decided to walk out on the pier just to look at the ocean.

There were 3 guys on the S side surfing the lefts. It was really big and drifty and I couldn't tell whether the guys were kooks or pros. Well, a huge set came in and one guy whipped and went - definitely not a kook. Really impressive, actually, as he kicked out before the pilings (this is the very end of the pier).

The 3 guys traded a few waves, all charging. Eventually, the rip/drift got to them and they got carried away. Tired of battling - and with the wind coming up - they all got waves in.

I was walking back to my car anyway, and got a little excited with the prospect of trying to ID the one goofy foot who was the most impressive. I did my most casual drive by lurk as he was getting out of his wetsuit. He had a brand new Roberts gun, and he was next to another guy who had some photo equipment.

I took a look @ Roberts' team rider page, but couldn't ID him. Any idea who it was? Mid 20s, 6' tall, board was probably 7' or maybe 7'6". Oh, wears a hoody and has a small moustache.
Matt McCabe?

Jan 30, 2014
Santa Cruz Mtns
LiamUnknown said:
I'm torn...

On the one hand she perfectly exemplifies what is wrong with the modern kook. I'm sure she has no clue about etiquette, happily paddles out with 5 plus people to peaks with one or two people out, and happily backpaddles on her giant dongboard, completely blissfully unaware of surfing etiquette. Her reaction to something as minimal as a leash pull is further evidence of this.

On the other hand, anyone who teaches surf lessons deserves to be utterly destroyed and their business burned to the ground.
Yup

Barracuda

OTF status
Mar 30, 2013
I get eurokooks paddling around me all the time on bigger boards, mostly ~vanlife~ ones.

They pull up to a break they never surfed before, paddle around a bunch of local guys and get buthurt when people tell them off or drop in on them. After that they go back to their van where they'll leave their trash and toilet paper in the bushes.

God i hate this vanlife trend.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Barracuda said:
I get eurokooks paddling around me all the time on bigger boards, mostly ~vanlife~ ones.

They pull up to a break they never surfed before, paddle around a bunch of local guys and get buthurt when people tell them off or drop in on them. After that they go back to their van where they'll leave their trash and toilet paper in the bushes.

God i hate this vanlife trend.
I'm just glad I don't have to interact with these kind of people like I did in NorCal. My Sonoma County friends had acquaintances that would have been proto-Vanlifers

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
MitchellC said:
Now, a core caveat is the waves have to be at least worthy of a little competition. If I was out @ Venice* in those conditions, I'd be on a log as well. Why that dude paddled out on a HPSB in those conditions says more about his attitude than skill.

That looks like a normal, "who gives a sh!t" type of day where people are just trying to get wet and stretch some muscles.
This. If I'm out in those kinds of conditions, and getting that heated about things... well, I've got some talking to myself to do.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
Originally Posted By: rts265
been wanting to bring this up for a while - now seems like the right time. another female 'surfer' of similar complexion has a post of her on a mat dropping in on black lee (of red vs black lee infamy) calling him a jerk and attacking him for ruining 'her wave'. not too hard to find on insta. ok, lots of catching up to do on this thread.
casa_mugrienta said:

i bet shes never been tubed. its kind of infuriating "knowing" the truth and reading her version of it

SOMEBODY ASK BLACK LEE WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/lKKThRXSDenFS" width="480" height="201" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/steven-seagal-aikido-marked-for-death-lKKThRXSDenFS">via GIPHY</a></p>

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
I like her comment lower in the thread... "I was so mad at this dude. And I had no idea I was getting barreled at the time" :roflmao: