Thinking about starting a surfboard business…

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Roy … who????

Did he make a lasting impression HERE??
I mean, Roy wasn’t like Trent or Curren
or even Brewer …

Roy was a one off … and gone…
:shrug:

Ok… a million bucks … an oddity
Not an every day working surfboard
Hanging on somebodys wall. And folks will ask … who built the board? “
Roy what’s-his face?”
“Roy…who??” … ”

No validity in the product. Just a dollar sign.
buyer bought a shiny thing

:toilet:

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Yeah, but he sold it for a million dollars.
BFD ….
Seller made bank
Buyer took it in the shorts from a snake charmer.
Buyer should have come here first …. And come for the laff’s
I’m still LOLing ….
And he’s still , Roy, what’s-his face …..
with NO real validity in the surfing community
except his own claims

You’ve … lost your humor, son …

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
BFD ….
Seller made bank
I’m still LOLing ….
except his own claims

I was kidding. Roy is a clown.

I used to always make fun of him.

Who lost his sense of humor indeed! :dancing:

• Haha
Reactions: PPK96754
Try this… Go somewhere internationally, maybe France, Ireland, Netherlands, Portugal, Australia or Japan, teach ten stoked amateurs and a few pros how to build their own hollow wood surfboard and after living the locals life for a couple weeks, and making lifelong friends, go home with a stack of 100 uncirculated Franklins… Repeat regularly…

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Try this… Go somewhere internationally, maybe France, Ireland, Netherlands, Portugal, Australia or Japan, teach ten stoked amateurs and a few pros how to build their own hollow wood surfboard and after living the locals life for a couple weeks, and making lifelong friends, go home with a stack of 100 uncirculated Franklins… Repeat regularly…
You think …. That it only takes a couple of weeks and hanging with “the local bro’s” to build a hollow wooden board like Roy built AND, supposedly sold for a million dollars?? And, if I’m correct, you’re also saying that Pat Curren or Buzzy Trent built 4,6 & 8 stringer balsa wooden guns in only a few weeks?
AND, for your expert advice on the “how to build a hollow wooden surfboard”, your theory, THEORY, is that you’ll be paid big American dollars **in a foreign country** for having such quality, surfboard building skills … in a couple of weeks?

There’s a quality shaper here who might want to know what country he should visit.

I’m and old sh!t ….. but not a dumb, old sh!t
or you’re just an uninformed troll

Last edited:
Reactions: PLJ
No, I’m not a troll and no you are not a dumb old sh!t, old maybe, but not dumb… Uninformed, but I flew pretty far under the radar with what I was doing… In the extreme niche of hollow wooden boards some know my name…

I did have a pretty sweet alternative income and reason to travel for more than a few years… I’ve taught 30 workshops internationally and domestically… I fell into a sweet spot of timing with Clark Foam closing and the resurgence of alternative methods, Through no deliberate planning, I was the first to contemperize what Tom Blake started…

My boards are not like Roy’s… Completely different method and philosophy.… Also, what Roy supposedly sold his famous board for seems to be rumor or speculation… I’m doubtful… Roy is now an accredited building inspector in New Zealand…

One day in 2005 I got an email from a guy in Ireland saying his son wanted to build a board and he thought there were other who might too… We signed up and I taught over a dozen that first class… I was invited back the next year, then Portugal, France etc… Without planning, I had a business model…

My workshops took five days for an individual to assemble, shape and sand… A collaborative group could do it in three days…They had to take care of the exterior glassing on their own afterwards… It’s a pretty simple process and not speaking the native language was never a barrier… I was in country typically two or three weeks with the workshop centered in that time…

A construction company in San Diego commissioned some boards to represent their company values… Mine was uniqueness… Such an honor…

I am now fully retired, but here’s my website >>> http://www.hollowsurfboards.com/

5E19377F-4F2E-4E0F-A23D-B2626C76BBDB.jpeg

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
BFD ….
Seller made bank
I’m still LOLing ….
except his own claims

One of the best laughs in my life was reading here that GMAC rode Roy’s board and the fin broke. It was funny enough that Roy said he would air fright the board and actually followed through, only for it to end like that. I was at the library computer lab reading the story and I broke out in laughter. When I realized I couldn’t contain it, I went outside and collapsed on the grass and with tears in my eyes for a good 5 minutes. Good times :beer:

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
One of the best laughs in my life was reading here that GMAC rode Roy’s board and the fin broke. It was funny enough that Roy said he would air fright the board and actually followed through, only for it to end like that. I was at the library computer lab reading the story and I broke out in laughter. When I realized I couldn’t contain it, I went outside and collapsed on the grass and with tears in my eyes for a good 5 minutes. Good times :beer:
That was a good story to follow when it was happening. Classic erBB tale.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
No, I’m not a troll and no you are not a dumb old sh!t, old maybe, but not dumb… Uninformed, but I flew pretty far under the radar with what I was doing… In the extreme niche of hollow wooden boards some know my name…

I did have a pretty sweet alternative income and reason to travel for more than a few years… I’ve taught 30 workshops internationally and domestically… I fell into a sweet spot of timing with Clark Foam closing and the resurgence of alternative methods, Through no deliberate planning, I was the first to contemperize what Tom Blake started…

My boards are not like Roy’s… Completely different method and philosophy.… Also, what Roy supposedly sold his famous board for seems to be rumor or speculation… I’m doubtful… Roy is now an accredited building inspector in New Zealand…

One day in 2005 I got an email from a guy in Ireland saying his son wanted to build a board and he thought there were other who might too… We signed up and I taught over a dozen that first class… I was invited back the next year, then Portugal, France etc… Without planning, I had a business model…

My workshops took five days for an individual to assemble, shape and sand… A collaborative group could do it in three days…They had to take care of the exterior glassing on their own afterwards… It’s a pretty simple process and not speaking the native language was never a barrier… I was in country typically two or three weeks with the workshop centered in that time…

A construction company in San Diego commissioned some boards to represent their company values… Mine was uniqueness… Such an honor…

I am now fully retired, but here’s my website >>> http://www.hollowsurfboards.com/

View attachment 147482
My sarcastic replies, which I will apologies for and question, are these all Foam surfboards being built? I’ve watched, seen the “old style glue ups” in Waikiki as well as Currens & Trents work as a young kid. Watched Greg Noll, Hap Jacobs, Larry Felker Velzy in his work shop in San Clemente and other’s over the decades. So I guess I’m talking old school as opposed to new methods and such

But as you replied, different method and philosophy and a different product If it’s foam, that’s being processed.Again, my apologies on jumping to suck quick conclusions on your production methods.
And yet if it is foam, then the method of teach and building in such a short time frame would be that it is, a foam product.
Thank you. I appreciate your reply.

btw …. Are those your boards in Bird’s shop?

Last edited:
My sarcastic replies, which I will apologies for and question, are these all Foam surfboards being built? I’ve watched, seen the “old style glue ups” in Waikiki as well as Currens & Trents work as a young kid. Watched Greg Noll, Hap Jacobs, Larry Felker Velzy in his work shop in San Clemente and other’s over the decades. So I guess I’m talking old school as opposed to new methods and such

But as you replied, different method and philosophy and a different product If it’s foam, that’s being processed.Again, my apologies on jumping to suck quick conclusions on your production methods.
And yet if it is foam, then the method of teach and building in such a short time frame would be that it is, a foam product.
Thank you. I appreciate your reply.
Thank you sir…

No, the boards are not foam… I show up with frame kits I’ve brought from home, the host has secured a location to build the boards, sourced the epoxy, fiberglass and the other materials and supplies needed… I show up and show / assist each person to build their own hollow wood board… I brought a custom frame for each one… Or should I say, used to… I’m retired…

To answer one of your other questions…
Japan is a hotbed with a large disposable income for things like building a board with an expert to guide them…

Also, it would not be hard to travel and teach how to build almost any kind of custom sporting equipment… Wood bikes, simple… Golf clubs, too easy… And the thing is, no one that I know of is doing it…

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Thank you sir…

No, the boards are not foam… I show up with frame kits I’ve brought from home, the host has secured a location to build the boards, sourced the epoxy, fiberglass and the other materials and supplies needed… I show up and show / assist each person to build their own hollow wood board… I brought a custom frame for each one… Or should I say, used to… I’m retired…

Japan is a hotbed with a large disposable income for things like building a board with an expert to guide them…

Also, it would not be hard to travel and teach how to build almost any kind of custom sporting equipment… Wood bikes, simple… Golf clubs, too easy… And the thing is, no one that I know of is doing it…
Your boards that went to Kauai ? . Personal wall hangers or for retail Sale & wall hangers in a shop?
Are those your boards boards in Bird’s Shop?

btw …. Are those your boards in Bird’s shop?

Your boards that went to Kauai ? . Personal wall hangers or for retail Sale & wall hangers in a shop?
Birds - Not that i know of… I doubt it…
The boards in the photo were at DPR Construction headquarters, San Diego..

Kauai- Real Estate company wall hangers… Sad, but great $$$$…

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021
Hey there! I'm new to this forum, but I couldn't help but respond to your post. Taking it seriously, starting a surfboard business sounds like a sick idea. But before you dive in, it's important to have a solid business plan. You gotta think about things like your target market, competition, and finances. A business plan consists of all the deets you need to get your biz off the ground. You can check out this link for more info on what a business plan consists of https://www.ogscapital.com/faq/. Good luck.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site

View attachment 147482
I've been in this lobby a few times. Yours's is the nicest of the four by a wide margin.

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008

View attachment 147482
Didn't you have a thread on Swaylocks on your hamburger tour of Ireland?

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
I agree - My wife and I just spent 3 weeks in Japan over Christmas visiting our daughter. We went to Joetsu City in Niigata, Tokyo, Nozawa Onsen to ski and also Kyoto. I saw you were in Kyoto PLJ. I went to a guitar store near our hotel in Kyoto. I have a Martin D-28 acoustic guitar which is arguably one of the best regular production acoustic guitars ever made and retails for about $2,800 new in the US. I waited until I was 56 to buy such a guitar - 6 years ago. We went to several guitar stores here in the suburbs of NYC and only found one new D-28 (it's mine now and I wish I had bought it sooner). It was actually the highest priced acoustic I could find - the other acoustic guitars stopped at $1,600 or so.

The guitar store in Kyoto didn't have a new D-28 at all but they had about 6 other Martin acoustic guitars with higher levels of trim than the D-28 ranging in price from about $6,500 to $12,000. I was amazed - I thought I had stumbled onto some special guitar store. When I got back home I was poking around some guitar forums and found out that it wasn't a special guitar store - that's just what the Japanese buy. They save and save and save and then buy something really nice. Japanese wholesale buyers come to Gibson and Fender and the other US manufacturers and specify and pick out special expensive guitars for their market.