The Social Construction of Racism in the United States

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
Trigger Warning lol

Your reference shows high levels of racism if citizen reporting is to be believed. For racism to be overrated then citizen reporting has to be disregarded.

That fewer whites object to interracial marriage could be part of the overall trend of not using overtly racist language rather than declining racism. Objections are just words. The proof is in the pudding as in, "What if the baby is black."

I think your guy needs to do more work.

Reactions: Woke AF

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Your reference shows high levels of racism if citizen reporting is to be believed. For racism to be overrated then citizen reporting has to be disregarded.

That fewer whites object to interracial marriage could be part of the overall trend of not using overtly racist language rather than declining racism. Objections are just words. The proof is in the pudding as in, "What if the baby is black."

The fact that people think more young black men are killed by police than die in traffic accidents was enough to convince me.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
My brother married a Mexican woman. Her mom was like, "What if the kids look white?"

Reactions: hal9000

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

Did you look into who “my guy” is?
Here’s a picture of him for you.
1619051837744.jpeg

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
My brother married a Mexican woman. Her mom was like, "What if the kids look white?"
Sure, sure, it's the same. People say things that don't pan out when it gets real. Another racist reaction to interracial relationships might be the friends who no longer come around or perhaps constant race baiting. Like this kid I know who calls his brother's Vietnamese bride Mulan. It gets old.

Last edited:

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
It absolutely does, however that shouldn’t influence how often people perceive that it happens. That’s the media and social narratives at work.
no, quit Karening.

It is what people are fearful of. Equating people like you getting hit by a car or having a cop(s) put his entire magazine into people like you evokes different feelings and responses.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
no, quit Karening.

It is what people are fearful of. Equating people like you getting hit by a car or having a cop(s) put his entire magazine into people like you evokes different feelings and responses.
Lolz. I 100% agree that it is very troubling that arrests lead to death. That should never happen, whereas we all know that driving has inherent risks. The fact that these deaths happens makes it exponentially more newsworthy than car crashes, and I basically said that in my post.

that said, the fact that it’s more newsworthy should not convince people that it happens more often. There are people who actually believe that George Floyd’s are happening on a daily basis, and in the case of this article more than car wrecks, which is absolutely false. The fact that people draw this false conclusion is very telling of the social and media climate we are in and is a problem in and of itself.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
:roflmao:

My 80 year old mother in law told me proudly that of her three daughters none of them came out ni negrita ni chata. The four boys range from mildly toasted to chocolate.

Trigger alarm for you know who.

• Haha
Reactions: hammies

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
“When asked to choose between a future in which racially offensive remarks were so heavily punished as to be nonexistent and one where minorities were so confident that they no longer felt concerned about racial insults, black respondents overall preferred, by a 53%–47% margin, the resilience option. White liberals preferred the punitive option, by a 71%–29% margin; black liberals chose the second option by just 6 points, 53%–47%.”

Wow

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Sure, sure, it's the same. People say things that don't pan out when it gets real. Another racist reaction to interracial relationships might be the friends who no longer come around or perhaps constant race baiting. Like this kid I know who calls his brother's Vietnamese bride Mulan. It gets old.
Sounds like brother ought to give the kid a couple of slaps and teach that punk some respect.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
“When asked to choose between a future in which racially offensive remarks were so heavily punished as to be nonexistent and one where minorities were so confident that they no longer felt concerned about racial insults, black respondents overall preferred, by a 53%–47% margin, the resilience option. White liberals preferred the punitive option, by a 71%–29% margin; black liberals chose the second option by just 6 points, 53%–47%.”

Wow
This is very interesting, but it makes sense, it's not surprising after a little thought.

White people have never experienced structural racism. Bigotry and prejudice, sure, but not structural racism. Black people have. This would have to allow for differing opinions on the subject.

The article does not say or argue that structural racism doesn't exist.

• Haha
Reactions: Your Moms Dildo