The Search for Donald Day and Donny Wilson

Scott Ando

OTF status
Nov 12, 2002
Santa Barbara
Visit site
remember these two ripping and being cool to me when i was a grom. they still surfing?

Donald is still ripping, a school teacher down south - LA area I think. His kid Tristan rips too and they came up to SB to do a few workouts with CI grom team. Donald is still happiest dude on planet. Seriously

I speak to Donny about once every 3 years, I think he may the one that first told me about Donald's kid, can't recall what he's doing but still surfing and in the scene.

• Love
Reactions: Havoc

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
The vibe at Topangry really went downhill after Donald stopped showing up. He was always friendly and encouraging and made the rest of the fuckery tolerable. The last couple of times I was there, the scene was just ugly AF. The best part is how I look a lot different after the cancer thing, and those fookers pretend they don't recognize me.

I wish the old locals would come back. :(

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
ya, there was a good period of time when day, wilson, tre, willy, darren and crew were consistently out and it was regulated. groms like me got waves too. good times! hope u are well witchipoo!

Reactions: Witchipoo

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
Donny wilson still rips, or at least he did the last time I surfed w/ him a couple years ago. That was the first time I met him, and after chopping it up with him for like an hour (we were the only 2 in the lot at a shittty beachbreak in LA) he left me a note w/ his # on my car when he went in. Stayed in touch w/ him for a bit

Not being from LA I didn't know who he was... we talked for a while before paddling out, when he came out he gave me props on my surfing and then proceeded to rip a shittty 3 foot wave... i was like who is this old boy? Come to find out he is somewhat legendary from my palisades/ topanga friends. Nice enough guy, at least in my experience, he told me that he spends a lot of time in SD now.

Reactions: Havoc

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
this the same dw who was a rep for 1 or more surf companies?
first heard of him when a local grom decided to bitch out a visitor (dw)
dw said i am a rep and i can make u lose your sponsors
didnt really go any further