The Roberts Twonzer

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
too much static here...wtf are you doing to us GWS?

Has GG finally sunk in to you all?...designing a board with a complementary fin theory.

Going the Switzerland route not ruffle too many feathers...FCS and Futures..

Plus a nod to the Campbells with the use of the Bonzer fin.

Another nod to Jobson’s Twinzer... Fish Tails...Bat Tails...skulls.

Channels..!!!!!!!!! please someone make the Hitler bunker meme parody with this board.

We have just crossed over into...The Twonzer Zone.

I Love it.....

And my claim to Twonzer Fame...I used to surf with Sean when we were maybe 13 yrs old or so in Carlsbad...at Surf Camp...:) He was better than us, he was the best at the camp, but we all used to charge for being that young and pushed each other. I still remember his William Dennis board. I was a better skater though :) fun memories and good years for waves.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Fuckme, that channel bottom number looks good!

I tried an octonzer a while back...went pretty good

https://www.instagram.com/p/1mv2YfMtHt/

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
Ok, presently I'm past talking design specifics on the "Design Forum." It always gets ugly. I just don't have the patience for it anymore. I've got enough drama in my personal life, I don't need to create more over surfboards of all things.

The charge for the channels was reasonable IMHO. We will see if that holds. If tons of these things were ordered, I could see the glasser reassessing their rates. Robert has actually worked out a fairly easy way of shaping them in. And no, I'm not going to tell you all how.

Fredtool

Nep status
Jan 31, 2014
Florida
Looks like an up dated Zinger, a board that was designed by Ace in San Diego when he was working for Mike Eaton. Ace builds some interesting boards.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
from the old thread I linked:
GWS said:
I don't know. If you check the properties it will lead you back to an open photobucket account. The logo looks like a take-off of one we did here poking fun at CI. I assume that's a glassing lam down at the tail, but when I zoom in I lose resolution. I can't read it. Eaton has been doing the Zinger for some time.

But all the ones I've seen have been funboards.

I would like to give it a try. Seems like with boxes in all positions you could sub in either of the Bonzer 5 fins. Which would you leave you screwed if you felt like you needed that Bonzer3 size lead fins, but like I said, that seems like a lot of fin.
GWS said:
I've never ridden them. Hate the way they look. IMHO, it just cheapens the look of the board. Which means jack-$hit if it surfs well, but whatever. Malcolm doesn't like them. For me that says it all. I don't argue with him on things Bonzer. Or Twinzer or Twonzer or ...

:shrug:
stoked to see Roberts messing around w/ this and his team riders diggin them

and thanks for sharing GWS :jam_on:

chrispalmer

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 1, 2008
ghostshaper said:
from the old thread I linked:
GWS said:
I don't know. If you check the properties it will lead you back to an open photobucket account. The logo looks like a take-off of one we did here poking fun at CI. I assume that's a glassing lam down at the tail, but when I zoom in I lose resolution. I can't read it. Eaton has been doing the Zinger for some time.

But all the ones I've seen have been funboards.

I would like to give it a try. Seems like with boxes in all positions you could sub in either of the Bonzer 5 fins. Which would you leave you screwed if you felt like you needed that Bonzer3 size lead fins, but like I said, that seems like a lot of fin.
GWS said:
I've never ridden them. Hate the way they look. IMHO, it just cheapens the look of the board. Which means jack-$hit if it surfs well, but whatever. Malcolm doesn't like them. For me that says it all. I don't argue with him on things Bonzer. Or Twinzer or Twonzer or ...

:shrug:
stoked to see Roberts messing around w/ this and his team riders diggin them

and thanks for sharing GWS :jam_on:
Yesssirrr!

Fredtool

Nep status
Jan 31, 2014
Florida
GDaddy. A small keel is a good idea. I was also thinking of a keel with a cutaway base. Maybe a little more cut then Normal.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
ACE was recommending low aspect fins for their bonzer and Zinger designs on those midlengths. I think in part because of the prevailing conditions at Sunset Cliffs where they were centered. He has previously commented about thinking that there's considerable overlay between channels and fins, enough so that he favored his 6-shooter (quad + canards) on flat bottoms over doing channels.

So now we've been seeing the NPjr twin single, and we know that the use of channels allows for the use of smaller fins and that channels add hold as well as adding drive, so this design has taken that track further by skipping altogether the twin single + channels combo that would have been an intermediary step between the two. The other thing is that Roberts has the main fins way further back when compared to the NPjr design, which engages them even more.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Fredtool said:
GDaddy. A small keel is a good idea. I was also thinking of a keel with a cutaway base. Maybe a little more cut then Normal.
This is my favorite fin setup for fishes.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
GDaddy said:
ACE was recommending low aspect fins for their bonzer and Zinger designs on those midlengths. I think in part because of the prevailing conditions at Sunset Cliffs where they were centered. He has previously commented about thinking that there's considerable overlay between channels and fins, enough so that he favored his 6-shooter (quad + canards) on flat bottoms over doing channels.

So now we've been seeing the NPjr twin single, and we know that the use of channels allows for the use of smaller fins and that channels add hold as well as adding drive, so this design has taken that track further by skipping altogether the twin single + channels combo that would have been an intermediary step between the two. The other thing is that Roberts has the main fins way further back when compared to the NPjr design, which engages them even more.
Very interesting you brought this up and you’re spot on.

I was recently talking to GG about an 8 channel quad speed egg he made me, which is insane, and I mentioned how it absolutly flys, loves the pocket, but it’s very different when going hard on the rail for a roundhouse. It projects differently on rail with fast speed but wants to flatten a tad. Sorta like a fish squirting through the hands. I just throw more weight into it, but GG immediately said the trailers should be reduced to correct it. Lightbulb finally went off in my head...of course...the channels are creating a bigger “fin” .

BTW...who ever said channels don’t work in chop... :hah: good job at keeping a speedy production line all these years.