The Real Reason for the Russian Invasion of Ukraine (***ErBB related, not political, mods please don't move to the foil forum)

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

"The dish was named after Count Alexander Grigorievich Stroganoff and originated in Odessa, in 19th century. There’re two versions of the dish’s origin. According to the first one, Beef Stroganoff was invented by the French chef Andre Dupont for the elderly Count, whose teeth were no longer strong enough for chewing large pieces of meat. According to the other, more popular version, this dish was prepared especially for the recurring middle-class guests of Count Stroganoff.

Being a wealthy aristocrat and without children, Stroganoff offered the Odessa citizens to eat at the so-called “open tables”. Everyone could come in for lunch right from the street; the only condition was to be properly dressed and fairly educate"

National pride is at stake . . . .. :drowning:

• Love
Reactions: Boneroni

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
1 Dear old mom made beef stroganoff and chicken Kiev way back in the day. Knowing nothing from anything as a tot, thought everyone's mom made stuff like this.

2 Took Sweetie-pie on a date to this restaurant not once, but twice: Russian Renaissance Restaurant on Geary Blvd in SF. I ordered the beef stroganoff, came with peas and mashed potatoes. Tasted just like dear old mom's recipe. I was a little surprised how similar the flavor profile was. (2nd time we took Friend #1 and his wife because of the freakiness of the dining experience. There is (was?) a wall of porcelain dolls behind the bar in various costumes, the piano and violin entertainment was this hilarious battle of egos between the two musicians (short pudgy violinist kept stopping to rebuke the vaguely cadaverous and sallow pianist about some timing issues or him playing over his violin parts). Overall, the food was ok, the drinks ok, the entertainment was unexpectedly uncomfortable and difficult to tune out, and the ambiance unsettling, but together, well, hmmm, cheaper than flying to Eastern Europe.

1648484829638.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: grapedrink

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
1 Dear old mom made beef stroganoff and chicken Kiev way back in the day. Knowing nothing from anything as a tot, thought everyone's mom made stuff like this.

2 Took Sweetie-pie on a date to this restaurant not once, but twice: Russian Renaissance Restaurant on Geary Blvd in SF. I ordered the beef stroganoff, came with peas and mashed potatoes. Tasted just like dear old mom's recipe. I was a little surprised how similar the flavor profile was. (2nd time we took Friend #1 and his wife because of the freakiness of the dining experience. There is (was?) a wall of porcelain dolls behind the bar in various costumes, the piano and violin entertainment was this hilarious battle of egos between the two musicians (short pudgy violinist kept stopping to rebuke the vaguely cadaverous and sallow pianist about some timing issues or him playing over his violin parts). Overall, the food was ok, the drinks ok, the entertainment was unexpectedly uncomfortable and difficult to tune out, and the ambiance unsettling, but together, well, hmmm, cheaper than flying to Eastern Europe.

View attachment 126898
That place is awe some.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
My mom made both chicken Kiev and beef Strganoff a few times. Shrimp Creole, Swedish Meatballs, Hungarian Goolash? There was a bunch of stuff, between fried everything, canned everything, and stuff that swims or walks, tastes good on white bread or becomes moldy before you eat it sometimes.
I'm surprised I survived.

Reactions: grapedrink

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Notice how Russian food is not hugely popular in the USA...is this due to the Cold War during the proliferation of restaurant culture or just because it SUCKS?
I found Eastern European food pretty yummy. (Of course it helps when you're very hungry and you only have enough for pickle soup (broth was made of milk and chicken stock) and rye bread...I mean, I still needed drinking money at night as not everyone wants to buy Mr Doof intoxicating elixirs in the local den of iniquity.)

I figure the trick to eating foods in foreign lands consists of:

A Reasonable quality of ingredients
B Someone who knows how to put them together well, maintain proper food habits
C Sense of adventure, within reason...will pass on the bile soaked tripe or fermented duck embryos.
D Understanding that it is likely 10s of 1000s eat this every day and live, so, I should be ok

Attachments