The Potential Official Frisbee Golf Thread

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
If anyone is looking for a relatively inexpensive and wicked fun new hobby that’s all about being outdoors/getting fresh air, walking a lot, and doesn’t even require you to be particularly athletic (my disc golf bro Fat Andy always shot lower than me bc) but it helps (esp tennis and baseball) and also involves crushing beers and smoking lots of reefers Frisbee Golf is where it’s at.

Random draw partner aka doubles or dubs is played for money and along with the top teams getting the buy in there’s an ace pot that rolls over until someone hits it = beau coup dolores and dubs is always a party.

Was lucky that when I played last in PA there were some dank courses around including one of the hardest in the country that were worth the drived and along with doing a bunch of league play, went to watch a pro tourney at the hardest course and saw part of the round where a ridiculous new course record was set etc bc it’s that fun.

As laid back as it gets and for the most part everyone who plays is chill, and smokes weed.

So if anyone is interested I’d share what I learned getting started, beginner disc selection, techniques, mistakes I made learning, etiquette learned through league play etc.

today I tries to help this dude find a lost disc in the undergrowth bc I wasnt in a hurry and bc that’s sort of what your supposed to do. We spent a few minutes walking a few feet apart up and down the side of the fairway where he thought he threw it the other day but bw the brush and leaves on the ground it could be anywhere so you write your # on the bottom and hope someone finds it and texts you. He was stocked I tries to help him even though we couldn’t find it

One of the greatest shots ever thrown

Last edited:
Reactions: pastel

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
One of the reasons frisbee golf is so fun is it’s surprisingly wicked technical. And technique/skill totally trumps athleticism up to a point.

The different grips are pretty interesting and worth learning bc they have a lot of influence

And to get a disc to really fly you have to set it up to do so aerodynamicly which means throwing “nose down” among other things

But just like real golf none of that means sh!t if your short game sucks. The pros are so good at putting its fucking ridiculous.

Reactions: pastel

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Frisbee golf is fun as hell. I would play more, but I suck. I suck because I don't play enough.
Preach. The really good dudes at the leagues play as much as they can (too much?) and all have “practice baskets” to work on their short game at home. You can’t be too good at putting. Aim small miss small. And when I pump myself up like Tony Robbins before long putts more often than not I drain them = power of a positive attitude on the course

Disc selection is key starting out and in general especially when it’s windy and when you don’t get play much are old “discing down“ to even to the point where you’re throwing midranges and putters off the tee. That and proper form particularly follow through (protect your joints) along with putting less effort into throws. At the tournament I was surprised how little effort the pros put into their monster drives.

What putter for putting don’t matter and Ive found following discs to be indispensable: Driving putter = Colt for me, Mids = Wombat 3 (so easy to throw straight and far bc glide) and VCobra (easy to throw straight along an S) and for Fairways = Leopard3(easy to throw straight and far, excellent forehand disc, very versatile), Teebird/Teebird3 (flies a consistent hook, good in the wind, versatile), and Valkyrie bc wind, forehand, and I think long downhill throws. I don’t mess with any of the “distance drivers“

This is some nice footage of the dank course in the redwoods and some dirty hippies who are all pretty damn good at frisbee golf

Last edited:

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Is it against the rules to use one of these as a driver?

shopping.jpeg

I was wicked accurate with one of these up to about 60 yards back in college. Fun game of effortless catch.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Is it against the rules to use one of these as a driver?

View attachment 156554

I was wicked accurate with one of these up to about 60 yards back in college. Fun game of effortless catch.
Only discs that are PDGA approved are allowed in regulation play but the great thing about frisbee golf is as long as you’re not hassling anyone else or littering you can do whatever/play the game however you want.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Dynamic Disc Open going on right now...I don't miss JomezPro offerings, great way to relax.

PCU

I might have to watch some tournaments again soon, I thoroughly enjoy them when it’s a technical wooded course. Big boring open fields not so much. Just ordered some F2s factory seconds from the Innova pro shop, def not a plastic/ disc snob but I figured out what I like/what works best and that’s innova 4 life bro

1687042906668.png

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Frisbee golf is fun as hell. I would play more, but I suck. I suck because I don't play enough.
Then you are doing it wrong?

The prerequisite is bong loads. Without that you feel like you suck but with the right amount of the cron you will not only play better you will feel better about it even if you suck. :)

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

The prerequisite is bong loads. Without that you feel like you suck but with the right amount of the cron you will not only play better you will feel better about it even if you suck. :)
The leagues I played in were filled with hardcore stoners to the point I was abstaining from some of the seshes just to be able to maintain my dome in the round and still be able to play effectively. I remember one dubs where for some reason we were gonna be pressed for time to complete the round (lot of cards and/or getting dark early) and as a result prior to starting we were informed to “try and keep the bowl holes to a minimum” lol. Good luck with that.

If you are playing frisbee golf you are not getting enough pussy.
Same could be said about a lot of dude pastimes. One of the greatest things about disc golf is how easy it is to go and play. All you need is one disc and some weed and/or beers to crush. No greens fees, tee times or dress codes. Play 18 holes, just a quick 9, get some practice in on particular holes (shots you need work on, new routes to the basket, etc.), you can never practice your short game too much etc. Other than how hard it is (thought it would be easier/I’d be better smh) very user friendly hobby. Once you know the local heads youll more likely than not bump into someone chill on the course if you feel like having someone to throw with. I’d stop by after work all the time knowing at least a few of my bros would be too

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: keenfish

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Same as regular golf in that respect.
George couldnt have said it better bro, bc it really just is “golf with a frisbee Jerry!”

When I went looking for quick and easy ways to improve my game/drop some strokes I headed to the local library and ended up checking out the Dr Bob books on the mental side of golf. Change the club descriptions to disc ones and yards to feet (a 375yd hole in ball golf equivalent is 375feet in disc golf) and everything else is exactly the same only the equipment is wayyy cheaper.
514638F8-4C64-4C06-BAB9-043AD43D9859.jpeg

B6E2A75D-4D3A-4A18-A823-8CF138A8DB70.jpeg

E6A03911-CEC6-4D2E-B2CD-3EB53E81E91C.jpeg

Reactions: crustBrother

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
On second thought, it's not about prerequisite bong loads, it's about casually puffing a j while strolling down the fairway whistling this tune.

• Love
Reactions: keenfish

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
On second thought, it's not about prerequisite bong loads, it's about casually puffing a j while strolling down the fairway whistling this tune.

Bluetooth speaker with some chill tunes as long as the rest of the card says it’s ok.

and some players will break out the reefer with less than harmonious intentions. I got my bro Leo to admit that if someone on the card is having a hot round he will try and get them wicked high with the hope that they will start playing worse as a result

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC

Oh, great. My daughter goes to school at Humboldt and texted recently how much fun she's been having playing frizbee golf. I guess I know what that means.
On second thought, i guess it's a forgone conclusion when your kid goes to Humboldt. Oh, and her name is Kaiya.
Party on, Kaiya!!!!!