The official total solar eclipse thread

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Tell that to my 9 year old son.

He is very irritated with me right now that we didn't go to Texas to view the eclipse. Reminded him that there are many others in the future and if we are going to travel for one, it's going to be somewhere better than Texas. :roflmao:
Well, ok but we came to Texas to visit old friends plus this is one of the coolest towns maybe in all of Texas…preachers and lawyers had to be out of town by sunset. Plus the ‘Hill Country’ is cool and there was an eclipse…
IMGP0364.jpeg

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
In 2017 I was super over it as our town was overrun with people coming in to see the much hyped total eclipse from within the path of totality. Traffic sucked and the grocery stores were cleaned out. Tourons were everywhere. I was planning to sit home and maybe go outside to look for a minute but couldn't understand the hype.

The night before my then 10 and 12 year old kids convinced my wife and I that we should go somewhere cool to see it. They were so hyped on it we couldn't say no, we woke up at 3 and managed to be one of 300 cars allowed into a local state park 45 minutes away, climbed to the top of a predominant rock outcropping where you can see miles in every direction and settled in for what turned out to be easily one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced. Something about the moon and sun aligning in total eclipse transmits a celestial energy and power that you can't feel otherwise. A feeling of smallness but also connectedness within the universe. It was like I was on some kind of drug. I'm a person who usually brushes descriptions like that aside as hippy sh!t but I'm here to say that it was legit. My then 12 year old was yelling out 'this is so sick' involuntarily as we took in the incredible vistas around us and looked right at the incredible show that was the moon blocking out the sun. EDIT: The closest thing I can compare it to would be hiking though Haleakala in the middle of the night during a full moon on shrooms in my late teens / early 20's.

When it was over everyone around us was buzzing with energy and the look in peoples eyes said it all. We talked about it for days after and immediately made plans to be somewhere for it on April 8 2024. It seemed like mandatory viewing whenever we had the chance. A year and a half ago I started looking at a few spots like Mazatlán and everything was booked or insanely expensive but we still wanted to check it out. Unfortunately life intervened and we didn't end up in totality again yesterday but I had super bad FOMO about it and was stoked for everyone who got to experience it. Where we are at the moment (Colorado) was about 65% and it was still cool to see but nothing close to being in totality.

If you haven't experienced it I highly suggest you figure out where to find the next one (2045 I think in the US, not sure if there's any sooner internationally) and get into the path of totality, ideally somewhere naturally beautiful and away from other people if possible.. I'll be 70 at that point and hope I can see it again. And for those who conflate total solar eclipses with other like annular eclipses, they are not the same.

Make fun of me for this description of it if you want. IDGAF. It was an amazing experience with my wife and kids that took me by complete surprise and one that I will never forget.

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
In 2017 I was super over it as our town was overrun with people coming in to see the much hyped total eclipse from within the path of totality. Traffic sucked and the grocery stores were cleaned out. Tourons were everywhere. I was planning to sit home and maybe go outside to look for a minute but couldn't understand the hype.

The night before my then 10 and 12 year old kids convinced my wife and I that we should go somewhere cool to see it. They were so hyped on it we couldn't say no, we woke up at 3 and managed to be one of 300 cars allowed into a local state park 45 minutes away, climbed to the top of a predominant rock outcropping where you can see miles in every direction and settled in for what turned out to be easily one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced. Something about the moon and sun aligning in total eclipse transmits a celestial energy and power that you can't feel otherwise. A feeling of smallness but also connectedness within the universe. It was like I was on some kind of drug. I'm a person who usually brushes descriptions like that aside as hippy sh!t but I'm here to say that it was legit. My then 12 year old was yelling out 'this is so sick' involuntarily as we took in the incredible vistas around us and looked right at the incredible show that was the moon blocking out the sun.

When it was over everyone around us was buzzing with energy and the look in peoples eyes said it all. We talked about it for days after and immediately made plans to be somewhere for it on April 8 2024. It seemed like mandatory viewing whenever we had the chance. A year and a half ago I started looking at a few spots like Mazatlán and everything was booked or insanely expensive but we still wanted to check it out. Unfortunately life intervened and we didn't end up in totality again yesterday but I had super bad FOMO about it and was stoked for everyone who got to experience it.

If you haven't experienced it I highly suggest you figure out where to find the next one (2045 I think in the US, not sure if there's any sooner internationally). I'll be 70 at that point and hope I can see it again. And for those who conflate total solar eclipses with other like annular eclipses, they are not the same. Make fun of me for this description of it if you want. IDGAF. It was an amazing experience with my wife and kids that I will never forget.
Great writeup on that. I've never seen a total eclipse, just partial ones.

Aug 2026 looks like a good one. Iceland would be insane. Northern Lights + Eclipse, surf under both.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Great writeup on that. I've never seen a total eclipse, just partial ones.

Aug 2026 looks like a good one. Iceland would be insane. Northern Lights + Eclipse, surf under both.
Seriously. That would be easily worth the travel.

Reactions: npsp

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
1 Drove to LA then Flagstaff, then Santa Fe, then Dallas.
2 Had sorry excuse for pizza in Flagstaff, Az, and Lewisville, Tx.
3 Stayed with youngest of my mean older sisters. She has a BMW 440 now.
4 Got snowed on in Santa Fe, and it was mildly sketchy to get back to I-40
5 Best mileage was over 47 mph in the Golf even at 75 mph, had rockin' tailwinds that day.
6 Lots of red dust near Amarillo on the 287 with that tailwind, down to 1/4 mile visibility at times.
7 Somehow became tech support for sister and her new computer for 1/2 a day
8 Inadvertently helped bro-in-law get fake grass approved for the dog run area in the backyard (sis didn't want it)
9 Both of them were amazed at the eclipse. "Wow! Didn't think it'd be this cool, thanks for this."
10 Partial eclipse as seen via pin-hole camera effect through straw hat:

11 Just a second before totality ends...high clouds put a damper on image quality:

12 Way back was Dallas, Santa Fe, Williams, Death Valley.
13 Didn't buy a boatload of fireworks in NM. Was temped though.
14 Walked out at Badwater to Lake Manly...it was really quite stunning to see water there.
15 Hiked up some random alluvial fans to some canyons and ate lunch with rocks and silence.
16 8.5 hrs from DV to SF and found the semi-domesticated feral cat happy to see us.

Last edited: