***The Official Retirement Post***

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
This is why I've always worked for myself after college. Mental grind of dealing with asshole bosses/managers, trying to bullshit my way up the corporate ladder, pretending to enjoy hearing all about the boss' family vacation in Paris.
How do you earn a living?
I’m fascinated by entrepreneurs

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I’m 60 and have no hope of retiring in the near future
i honestly can’t see me having enough money to be able to live off investments for decades
and if I can’t afford to live the way I’d want in retirement, then id rather not retire

i like my job well enough, but I really would like to take a few years off while I’m youth and health enough to enjoy the time, but I didn’t set myself up for that

The financial impact of having A kid while still in college with a girl who never aspired to make much money goes on forever, at least the way we did it
I retired as early as I could, even it it meant a drastic reduction in income. My dad was offered an early retirement package and declined and then died of a heart attack at 58. Before he could retire.

For me being able to surf when I want, avoiding crowds, is priceless and means more to me than being able to buy nice clothes or eating in expensive restaurants.

A couple caveats. My pension has a cost of living adjustment each which is equal to 4% of the first year's total. The amount never changes. All the time I was working inflation was under 4% so I thought that was fine. Literally the year I retired 2021 inflation sky rocketed. Let's go Brandon!

Last edited:

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
I retired as early as I could, even it it meant a drastic reduction in income. My dad was offered an early retirement package and declined and then died of a heart attack at 58.

For me being able to surf when I want, avoiding crowds, is priceless and means more to me than being able to buy nice clothes or eating in expensive restaurants.

A couple caveats. My pension has a cost of living adjustment each which is equal to 4% of the first year's total. The amount never changes. All the time I was working inflation was under 4% so I thought that was fine. Literally the year I retired 2021 inflation sky rocketed. Let's go Brandon!
Yikes, sorry to hear that. Guess I picked a interesting year to retire with the elections and all that follows. :socrazy:

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
How about the part where you stop having a paycheck?
How is that not difficult
I don’t live extravagantly. Ask subway. I really dont
But living in a high cost of living area and wanting to travel, that alone is enough to rip through a boatload of money
I need to get a financial advisor type person for the $ part and a shrink for the mental part
Getting off the merry-go-round is difficult ... you have to make decisions on lifestyle and want you want to do with your life. Thinking that you are going maintain the same level of lifestyle after you stop getting a paycheck makes it even more difficult. Mrs. Flyinraptr and I both had corporate IT careers ... both burned out from working our @sses off for a lot of years but we had a pretty good lifestyle .... nice home, vacation rental ski condo, RV, quads etc. We took a trip to Nicaragua and Mrs. Flyinraptr fell in love on the first walk of the beach and said "Why don't we get a place here". One thing led to another with bought a lot about 100yds from the Colorado's surf spot ... built a 2 bedroom casita with a pool and listed it on VRBO. A couple years go by and the burnout is continuing ... the company Mrs. Flyinraptr was working for announced they were going to be having major layoffs .... the prospect of looking for a new job in your mid-fifties is not something to look forward to. We started talking about retiring and moving to Nica... crunching the numbers ... we figured we could live comfortably In Nicaragua even if we had to build another house that was bigger than the casita and we would be able to take at least one extended vacation per year and a bunch of local trips. It took us a year of craigslist, garage sales, goodwill donations, etc to gid rid of all the crap we had accumulated in our house over the course of 20 years. Sold all of our toys, properties, vacation condo, cars, our home and we both quit our jobs. This July it will be 7 years living permanently in Nica. We have a much slower and simpler lifestyle but it is what we wanted .... we are both in much much better health and shape with a lot less stress (and a lot less crap that we accumulated). Not to mention ... I'm surfing better than i ever have ... and get in the water 3 or 4 times a week depending on conditions. If we had not retired and stayed in the US ... most likely one or both of us would still be working.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Congratulations!

I am very envious. I started doing math on my roth ira and feel pretty good. I see light at end of the tunnel. Kids better get college scholarships though.

Comfortable retirement has always been my ultimate career goal. Nothing ever depressed me more than when interviewers asked where I saw myself in 5 years or worse, 10. Shivering sobs are apparently a poor response to this question. :monkey:

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Getting off the merry-go-round is difficult ... you have to make decisions on lifestyle and want you want to do with your life. Thinking that you are going maintain the same level of lifestyle after you stop getting a paycheck makes it even more difficult. Mrs. Flyinraptr and I both had corporate IT careers ... both burned out from working our @sses off for a lot of years but we had a pretty good lifestyle .... nice home, vacation rental ski condo, RV, quads etc. We took a trip to Nicaragua and Mrs. Flyinraptr fell in love on the first walk of the beach and said "Why don't we get a place here". One thing led to another with bought a lot about 100yds from the Colorado's surf spot ... built a 2 bedroom casita with a pool and listed it on VRBO. A couple years go by and the burnout is continuing ... the company Mrs. Flyinraptr was working for announced they were going to be having major layoffs .... the prospect of looking for a new job in your mid-fifties is not something to look forward to. We started talking about retiring and moving to Nica... crunching the numbers ... we figured we could live comfortably In Nicaragua even if we had to build another house that was bigger than the casita and we would be able to take at least one extended vacation per year and a bunch of local trips. It took us a year of craigslist, garage sales, goodwill donations, etc to gid rid of all the crap we had accumulated in our house over the course of 20 years. Sold all of our toys, properties, vacation condo, cars, our home and we both quit our jobs. This July it will be 7 years living permanently in Nica. We have a much slower and simpler lifestyle but it is what we wanted .... we are both in much much better health and shape with a lot less stress (and a lot less crap that we accumulated). Not to mention ... I'm surfing better than i ever have ... and get in the water 3 or 4 times a week depending on conditions. If we had not retired and stayed in the US ... most likely one or both of us would still be working.
:bowdown:

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Cisco bought our company for $5B. Told my boss I would stay for 2 years, no interest in working for another mega business. I lasted 18 months, told my boss of my intentions to retire on wife’s birthday. He told me ”no!” A package would be developed to keep me through the end of the calendar year. I responded, “no!” and I retired September 12. Cisco then decided all the senior Israeli management were no longer needed (including my former boss). They got their walking papers in December. Cisco didn’t know what to do with their $5B purchase so, they sold it back for substantially less than $1B. I have to say that deciding to retire was one of my BEST career decisions. Never looked back.

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
It's official, I gave notice to my boss and HR yesterday that I will be retiring on September 30th. After 29 years of faithful service to the State Judicial System, I've decided it's time to really have some fun. My pension would be fully maxed out if I waited another year but the difference in pay would be minimal. Now's the time to enjoy life, travel, surf whenever I want to, play tennis, pickleball, fish, buy a new truck and trailer, maybe even a boat.

Another fun fact is that I've accrued so much vacation time that I can apply it towards my offical date of separation which would put me out of the office somewhere around the end of July. View attachment 176495

Oh yeah, and I'm 58 years old. View attachment 176497
Retirement = Everyday is a HOLIDAY!!!!

I retired at age 59 because my wife, as a nurse, always earned more than twice as much as I did as a bookkeeper. Try to marry a nurse or a doctor!

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Retirement = Everyday is a HOLIDAY!!!!

I retired at age 59 because my wife, as a nurse, always earned more than twice as much as I did as a bookkeeper. Try to marry a nurse or a doctor!
I tell my wife that it seems like every day is a Friday with Friday being a holiday! Great minds think alike Aquaman! Soooo good to not worry about budgets, search warrants, hostile environments. I suppose you would have to walk in my shoes to understand the relief every morning after a good 8-9 hours sleep for the first time I can remember in my adult life…

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Yesterday I did a 27 mile run, 12 miles of it up in the Santa Monica Mountains, 9 miles on the beach. Neil Young is back on Spotify and this song came up while I was in the mountains and I remembered my old man, felt some sorrow the he never experienced this (retirement) and dedicated the moment to him. Thanks Dad. April in Los Angeles and feeling perfect.

IMG_9408.JPG

IMG_9419 3.JPG

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Congrats young friend
I'm planning on doing the same next year after being a suit for 45 years. I'm hoping by then all my replacement part surgeries will be over and I'll be healed up to join the line up with you again and start making stuff again.
All the best to you and your family

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
Congrats young friend
I'm planning on doing the same next year after being a suit for 45 years. I'm hoping by then all my replacement part surgeries will be over and I'll be healed up to join the line up with you again and start making stuff again.
All the best to you and your family
Thanks B, we'll be back in fall of 25'. Hopefully, those new parts will be running smooth by then and if not, we may have to just pick you up, put you in a wheel barrow and wheel your butt down to the water. ;)
Congrats on a long career and a happy retirement.
:waving: