***The Official LA Isn't So Bad Thread***

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I was in Hermosa today waiting at a light on PCH & Aviation and brand new s500 Benz in front of me opened the passenger door and threw a bag of McDonald’s trash out the door onto the road. People are fucking pigs.
Fuck that guy.

I made a group of 909ers pick up their trash on the beach a couple days ago. Two Tatted up flat brim muscle dudes with their trashy, shouldn’t be wearing that thong girlfriends. Drank a case of beer, bunch of snacks. Just got up and walked off leaving all the trash.

I just said “hey guys, pick that sh!t up”. Words were exchanged, they cleaned up their mess and left.

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
They have a second location Suahiro Mini in Chinatown. But still sad. I like that place.
I've been going to Suehiro since the mid-Eighties. Ate there last week, probably for the last time. Fuck that greedy douche landlord, who wants to replace a beloved part of the community with - get this - a weed store. Because we don't have enough of those.:toilet:

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
I've been going to Suehiro since the mid-Eighties. Ate there last week, probably for the last time. Fuck that greedy douche landlord, who wants to replace a beloved part of the community with - get this - a weed store. Because we don't have enough of those.:toilet:
Gosh, I gotta say, you always come in here with such a ray of sunshine and positivity. Always such uplifting posts. You really light up the place.

• Haha
Reactions: i_ride_spinnaz

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
My favorite Japanese restaurant is being evicted

65 Restaurants closed in 2023/will be closed by January 31, 2024. Tough city. In 2017 or 2018 Jonathan Gold was asking whether there were too many restaurants in LA. Seems like there's more now.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
65 Restaurants closed in 2023/will be closed by January 31, 2024. Tough city. In 2017 or 2018 Jonathan Gold was asking whether there were too many restaurants in LA. Seems like there's more now.
Yeah, but 50 years in an HIstoric District? To be replaced by a dispensary? To make the place like Melrose?

Next to go will probably be Fugetsu-do, just down the block.

I'm a historic preservationist so these things (forcing out historic establishments) bothers me.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Yeah, but 50 years in an HIstoric District? To be replaced by a dispensary? To make the place like Melrose?

Next to go will probably be Fugetsu-do since 1903.

I'm a historic preservationist so these things (forcing out historic establishments) bothers me.
Historic preservation is too often thrown out in the name of "progress"

Look how many amazing Gilded Age and turn of last century buildings were razed for Midcentury garbage in the 50s and 60s all over the country

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

Next to go will probably be Fugetsu-do, just down the block.

again, reconfirming the chithole LA is...

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Think that’s a combination of things. Hangover factor from the pandemic, slowdown of the local economy due to the strikes (I know I’ve barely eaten out this past year when I used to multiple times a week) and the transition to DoorDash/uber eats. For all the talk of brick and mortar restaurants competing with street vendors and food trucks I think ghost kitchens are a much more existential threat to them.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
again, reconfirming the chithole LA is...
I love LA, precisely because of places like Little Tokyo and establishments like Suehiro and Fugetsu-do.

Little Tokyo has grown in popularity the past ten years, especially with young people. But Little Tokyo is in the historic heart of LA and just a few blocks from Skid Row. Putting a dispensary there is exactly the wrong thing to do to develop the area. People go there for dining and shopping. The dispensary will only attract more skid row residents into the area IMHO.

I'm not saying LA is perfect, just that it isn't so bad. There's a public artwork a block away from there that features my family.

348s-1.jpg
348s.jpg

Unfortunately it had become a homeless camp. You can see the bronzer pillar just right of the portable toilets, between the gingko trees.

Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 9.35.00 AM.png

They've been cleared out. We were there last night and the area was fenced off. There was graffiti on the artwork.

Speaking of graffiti. You know how that is one of my pet peeves when I go hiking? I met the guy from Sierra Club/State Parks who is in charge of removing graffiti. He was very philosophical about it, advising me not to get angry. "Humans, animals really, have felt the need to leave their mark since time immemorial. You just remove it. They might come back once and try again but then you remove it again and eventually they give up."

This is what he uses and is now going in my hiking pack -

You can complain, or you can act.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I love LA, precisely because of places like Little Tokyo and establishments like Suehiro and Fugetsu-do.

Little Tokyo has grown in popularity the past ten years, especially with young people. But Little Tokyo is in the historic heart of LA and just a few blocks from Skid Row. Putting a dispensary there is exactly the wrong thing to do to develop the area. People go there for dining and shopping. The dispensary will only attract more skid row residents into the area IMHO.

I'm not saying LA is perfect, just that it isn't so bad. There's a public artwork a block away from there that features my family.

View attachment 169082
View attachment 169083

Unfortunately it had become a homeless camp. You can see the bronzer pillar just right of the portable toilets, between the gingko trees.

View attachment 169084

They've been cleared out. We were there last night and the area was fenced off. There was graffiti on the artwork.

Speaking of graffiti. You know how that is one of my pet peeves when I go hiking? I met the guy from Sierra Club/State Parks who is in charge of removing graffiti. He was very philosophical about it, advising me not to get angry. "Humans, animals really, have felt the need to leave their mark since time immemorial. You just remove it. They might come back once and try again but then you remove it again and eventually they give up."

This is what he uses and is now going in my hiking pack -

You can complain, or you can act.
I grew up around graffiti culture and have friends who are known internationally for their work and have launched real careers and businesses through their roots in street art. But nothing infuriates me more than people who vandalize nature. That and litter.

Reactions: Havoc

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I grew up around graffiti culture and have friends who are known internationally for their work and have launched real careers and businesses through their roots in street art. But nothing infuriates me more than people who vandalize nature. That and litter.
How do they feel about graffiti on artwork? Like on a bronze memorial sculpture?

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc