***The Official Dog Thread***

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Adopted this guy about 3wks before Covid blew up.
He’s come a long way since we got him and helped make this whole shitty period a lot more fun. On the flip side we know we’ve created a monster who is going to be way too used to us always being around. Once it comes time to go back to work in an office we are in for trouble. 78B40CBE-A34C-4DDF-9A50-01194A9943E6.jpegD9A24A7D-686B-419D-BD8B-7EA05C4D827A.jpeg766C089D-5593-4056-9372-9125E87C8219.jpeg

Last edited:

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I grew up with a GSP. He lived for 15 years and didn't calm down til he was 14.

He was an amazing bird dog and a good companion
:LOL:
Sounds like it was a good dog to have growing up.

Kind of concerned that the groms will go to college, and we'll be left w/ trying to tire the dog out everyday. I guess it'll keep us active into our 50s.

I appreciate all the responses. We're still on the fence and not trying to take this decision too lightly. My main reason for wanting to get one is for my sons to enjoy it while they're still living at home and have the time to invest in it. The main reason why not to do it is b/c we already have 2 dogs, even if the boys weren't involved in choosing them.

Reactions: john4surf
Dec 18, 2014
It's not the poop, it's the hair that's the PIA.

Every child should have a puppy at least once.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
It's not the poop, it's the hair that's the PIA.

Every child should have a puppy at least once.
Our boxer mix has really short hair, and we barely see any of it on the floor. Our doodle leaves huge hair balls all over. Not experiencing the doodle not shedding trait.

This is why we want another shorthaired dog and not a doodle. Plus, it won't get burrs and mats like the doodle does now.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
:LOL:
Sounds like it was a good dog to have growing up.

Kind of concerned that the groms will go to college, and we'll be left w/ trying to tire the dog out everyday. I guess it'll keep us active into our 50s.

I appreciate all the responses. We're still on the fence and not trying to take this decision too lightly. My main reason for wanting to get one is for my sons to enjoy it while they're still living at home and have the time to invest in it. The main reason why not to do it is b/c we already have 2 dogs, even if the boys weren't involved in choosing them.
That's a good thing!

To put 15 years into perspective in a kid's life, I got him in 1st grade and he died when I was in college

Reactions: ghostshaper

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Our boxer mix has really short hair, and we barely see any of it on the floor. Our doodle leaves huge hair balls all over. Not experiencing the doodle not shedding trait.

This is why we want another shorthaired dog and not a doodle. Plus, it won't get burrs and mats like the doodle does now.
a lot of poodle mixes don’t take on the non-shedding trait. The day we ended up with pickle we were actually going to meet another dog. Some sort of terrier poodle mix. He sat on my lap for ten minutes and I was covered in white fur. Then we met pickle who is supposedly a Maltese/Yorkie comboand we fell in love. He really doesn’t shed at all. Will leave the occasional hairball if he’s chewing on hot spots but we seem to have gotten those under control. No more eggs for pickle.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
a lot of poodle mixes don’t take on the non-shedding trait. The day we ended up with pickle we were actually going to meet another dog. Some sort of terrier poodle mix. He sat on my lap for ten minutes and I was covered in white fur. Then we met pickle who is supposedly a Maltese/Yorkie comboand we fell in love. He really doesn’t shed at all. Will leave the occasional hairball if he’s chewing on hot spots but we seem to have gotten those under control. No more eggs for pickle.
Watch the chicken too. My dog used to get hot spots and even had a full on breakout once until I started feeding him salmon and sweet potato food

I have one that doesn't shed either but it's looking like ymmv for each dog

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Watch the chicken too. My dog used to get hot spots and even had a full on breakout once until I started feeding him salmon and sweet potato food

I have one that doesn't shed either but it's looking like ymmv for each dog
I was letting him lick the egg yolk off my plate when I finished breakfast. My childhood dog loved egg yolk and I was always told it was good for their coats. But it made him blow up in hot sports. Just glad we narrowed it down and figured it out fast. I think there is chicken in his food and he’s been fine. We’re really good about not giving him people food overall. Dog I grew up with ate pretty much everything she ate and lived to be 19, but was the world champion of beggars.

Reactions: Ifallalot
Dec 18, 2014
My pointer cross has hair like quills. It sticks to anything and everything, even the dashboard of my car - straight out. Trying to remove it from car carpet or fleece fabric is awful.

And unlike our Chow/ACD, the pointer doesn't have a shedding season, he loses hair constantly. Counterintuitive, but it's much easier to deal with the fluffy dog's hair.D&G snow.jpg

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
My first dog was a chow. Love those dogs.
Mine too.

He was found at roughly a year old at a construction site. The crew brought it to the office and my mom took him home.

He was dope and, honestly, the most handsome Chow I've ever seen (no smooshed nose, probably not purebred, obviously). We did a sh!t job at training him. He would sprint out of the house if the door was left open and wouldn't come back for days. He'd terrorize any other dogs he came across. He bit a few people. A friend's 7 year old that got too close to his food, a neighbor that got too far into the front yard, another neighbor that got too far into the yard. When he bit me when he was probably 6-7, my parents took him in to the pound. I was 12, my mom had a baby on the way, and they weren't trying to find out what might happen adding a newborn crawling and walking around to an aggressive dog that we never effectively trained and had already bitten several people.

• Wow
Reactions: john4surf and TheEl

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I wouldn't get your kids a dog unless you want the dog. I did that to my mom and it wasn't cool.

I got a dog when I was 17-18. We went to the pound and there was a litter of 3-4 month old Shepherd/Chow mutts. 2 were still available. One was a beautiful red/cinnamon colored female, and the other was a tan female. I loved the look of the first, but a family claimed it and the tan one came to me and got all tangled in my shirt. Everyone thought she was part pit becuase she had a pretty square muzzle and short hair, but I think the pound does everything it can NOT to call a dog a pit mix.
We kept her and she rolled with me a lot for the first year.
Then I graduated.
Then I was out more.
Then I started wanting to travel.
Then I moved out and I couldn't keep a dog at the apartment.
Then I moved again and couldn't keep a dog in the apartment.
Then I moved again, and "kinda" was able to keep her, but only sometimes.
Then I travelled a lot. My parents split up and my mom still had the dog.

It wasn't until I moved to the Bay Area for a year that I finally took the dog with me. By then she was almost 10 years old and I kept her with me until I she died at 14. So out of 14 years, my mom cared for her for at least 5 years, just as a heads up.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Mine too.

He was found at roughly a year old at a construction site. The crew brought it to the office and my mom took him home.

He was dope and, honestly, the most handsome Chow I've ever seen (no smooshed nose, probably not purebred, obviously). We did a sh!t job at training him. He would sprint out of the house if the door was left open and wouldn't come back for days. He'd terrorize any other dogs he came across. He bit a few people. A friend's 7 year old that got too close to his food, a neighbor that got too far into the front yard, another neighbor that got too far into the yard. When he bit me when he was probably 6-7, my parents took him in to the pound. I was 12, my mom had a baby on the way, and they weren't trying to find out what might happen adding a newborn crawling and walking around to an aggressive dog that we never effectively trained and had already bitten several people.
Ours was a mix. Pretty sure chow/pekingese if you can imagine that. He was a sweet heart. No issues with him unless there was a cat/chicken/squirrel/anything small and furry around.

We have a jindo now and I'll be honest I wouldn't get another one. Hes a good dog but wayyy to protective over his pack. A bit of a liability on walks. Hes a rescue, pretty sure he was abused or neglected but he has come a long way. We added a second dog right before the pandemic hit back in March. Not sure what she is but shes a sweet heart. They are both killers of small furry things as well but I think she has mellowed out some of the jindos behavioral issues.

chow boy
IMG_3984.jpg

current dogs
IMG_3980.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Boneroni