***The Official Dishwasher Confidential Thread***™

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
I washed dishes at the Charthouse in Redondo while I was in college. They made you start at dishwasher and work your way up.
There was this rad old Mexican dude I worked with. Hardest working man I ever met. During the day, he'd cruise the Strand collecting cans and cardboard to recycle.
He and I had a real connection. The old dude was so wise. He taught me a lot about life and the way the world worked.
My aloha shirts still have that greasy food feeling in them, even 30 years later.

Reactions: PPK96754

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I have washed dishes at restaurants a few times as a youngster.

First time was at YMCA camp at Sequoia Lake. I was fired.

Second was at a Chinese buffet. I walked out after a few weeks.

Third was some shitty diner. I walked out after a couple days.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Every two weeks, a couple of us would jump in my 4 dr Chevy Chevelle and head over to the Paniolo Cafe for beers and shooters. They had “jello days” outside In a pit? Can’t remember. Get half plowed and go to Kahana Bay, jump in, sober up, grab a shower and head for the prawn farm for pupu’s. Cocktails out on the lanai at Jameson’s and maybe a quick bite then head back to Waikiki, just with enough daylight to pull over into the pineapple fields and run through a couple of boxes of 9mm in my Beretta plinking beer cans.
:shaka:the Paniolo Cafe! :applause2::roflmao:
Beers in chilled Mason jars. Rattlesnake chili( I cleaned many a snake for it meat) Darts, Jeton's boatyard out back and a couple a Geetar fellas doing country songs at happy hour.

Reactions: PPK96754

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Today I learned our dishwasher has a friend who had kidney stones. This friend, at some point, bled out of his dick, all over his pants. He ended up needing surgery to have one removed. Since learning this our dishwasher has given up sweetened sodas and only drinks sparkling water. I suggested he use some lemon juice and/or apple cider vinegar as a preventative measure. His doctor said that the more one pisses the less likely it is one will get stones. This is a relief to me because I see to have a to p**s every hour or so depending on my water intake.

His shoulder (see above, slight dislocation, from sleeping on it) is still bothering him, he's gonna go to the free clinic for it tomorrow.

Edit: Total time spent: 60 seconds.

Last edited:
Reactions: tacos and PJ

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I haven’t worked in the service industry since high school. But I used to do delivery for this Italian/pizza spot in Ct where I grew up. Chef and his line cooks were all Mexican and we had a young real quiet El Salvadorean dishwasher and the Mexicans were just brutal to him constantly. There were times where I’d go into the kitchen at the end of the night and they’d have him pinned up against the walk-in cooler door in a scene that wasn’t far off from a bad prison movie.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Bartended at a place and got sucked into manager position. The dishwasher would show up faded, eat food off the dishes in the bus tubs and drink from glasses that still had booze in them. Whenever he didn't show up and I wasn't bartending I'd be the dishwasher. I nicely let him go after a handful of times that put us in the weeds. Broken glass/plates, knives, gross stuff, blazing hot pans from the kitchen. Dishwashing blows.

• Haha
Reactions: Pico

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I learned to operate a commercial dishwasher in the 6th grade. Dial forward to Thanksgiving Day 1973. I’m living out in Laguna Canyon and since it’s thanksgiving we all dose with sunshine. About 6 in the evening my neighbor comes over and asks if I want a dishwasher job at the Cottage. Sure, I’m blazed, could be fun. Lots of scraper action on burned pans. Not fun. Stuck with it and made busboy in a month, waiter in two months. Good money back then, $40/night average tips. Bailed when I was making enough throwing pots. Went back to cooking mexi food a few years later, was a good gig mostly because it allowed me to surf during the day.

78695F22-378E-4D4A-B868-5AF797049254.jpeg
From my last dishwashing gig, last of a bunch of loads (20?) I made a Fanta and three tacos, not bad for three hours of work.

Washing dishes is like cleaning a mess of fish: you’re always looking for that last one.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Where it all starts and where it ends is a gauzy web of chiaroscuro. Suffice it to say the hitchhiking trip from the Pacific Ocean to Las Vegas and back on a lark lit the fire.
I was stuck in Suburbia with plaza panic and only thin drywalls separating us from the freedom from the Matrix vs. the chaos of manicured medians and yogurtlands.

I had just turned 18 and was working at Macys in the mall selling Men's Rockport shoes, Bass Weejuns, Cowboy boots and Dorfman slippers. It was only a seasonal Christmas job for extra cash supplementing my gas station job at the Phillips 66 down by the old Mission Drive-in in San Juan Capistrano. Upstairs Macy's by the customer service department where we picked up our paychecks were travel brochures with Hawaiian Hula Girls and other exotic pamphlets. Hula girls. What could be better?

My friend Paul and I were planning to ride our enduro motorcycles to South America via the Darrian Gap north of Columbia. Lofty dreams for two eighteen year olds. Paul always knew he could count on an adventure with me ever since I showed up at his house in my Moms car to ditch school and go skiing for the day up in the Mountains, 3 hours away. We were 15 years old without drivers licenses. Now we were 18 and camping in the tropical rain was a mystery to us both and those brochures of Hula Girls made everything seem accessible. We could go camp in Hawaii for two weeks and learn how to deal with the Tropics.

We arrived in Honolulu on Continental airlines. It was 1982. There were young girls holding fresh flower leis in grass skirts waiting for us at the bottom of the stairwell as we got off the plane. We each got a kiss and a lei with a welcoming "Aloha". The fresh humid air wrapped itself around us like a warm wet blanket. It was like nothing I had ever felt before. It submerged my body in the heaven that was to be and it was soon after that I realized that there weren't any girls in grass skirts waiting at the bottom of the stairs to kiss us or give us leis.

We found our way to the Airport bus stop and with our paper guides rode out to the beaches on the south shore to a place called Makapu'u and Waimanalo. It was windy and dry and it looked like a rough part of town. A backdrop of steep cliffs gave us the feeling of being backed up against the wall. As a youth in a foreign place for a short time that was not far fetched. We set up a tent on the beach. Not far from the camping area was a small store and that was where we went to buy some beer. The drinking age was 18 and I bought a six pack of Primo. Cheers...we had made it.

On the other side of our tent was a body surf break called Sandy Beach and I soon went down for a quick body surf session. This however was not like the water and waves of South Laguna. This water moved with a whip like the tail of a tiger and the venom of a serpent. As it whirled me about I had never got so exhausted in 5 minutes and I couldn't get out. It had me and wouldn't let go. I would try to get washed up on the shore and the waves would drag me back in, playing with me like the cat who lets go of the mouse only so he can catch it again. The mouse thinks he has a chance. The mouses mind is blurred by the moment. I finally escaped the waters clutches and sat on the beach trying to catch my breath.

Adrenaline was a constant. We were young and in over our heads. What more could you ask for? We needed to find the jungle paradise that was promised in the brochures back in Macy's. We needed to find the Hula Girls in grass skirts. The next day we hopped on the bus headed to the east side of the island to a camp called "Malekahana".

That night, as promised, the rain came. And more came. We were now wet even in our tent. We were far from any shelter other than the public restroom where we ended up taking respite. Strange large larvaiac bugs sludged along the concrete fortification of the restroom no doubt cleaning the walls surfaces of unwanted bacteria. Forever took place and then the sun rose at last. It was still hard to tell through the pouring rain. We had to get out of here for at least the shelter of the bus. We left our camp and rode on the city bus to the famed North Shore, Mecca for great surfing. And while it was pouring rain back on the east side at our camp, It wasnt over here on the North Shore.

We arrived at world famous Waimea bay. On this side of the island the sun was brilliant and the water blue and charming. Up on the cliff side of the bay along the road was a house where young people were having a good time drinking beers and enjoying their long messy beach blonded hair and loud music. I was enchanted. I wanted to be a part of this world as my toes dug deep in the sand for a foundation. I knew I was staying in this place. It was too much to resist. It was pulling me in to its life force. It was a world away from deadening suburbia. Here the walls were uneven and covered with cheap paint. Driveways were dirt and the only expectations was that of white sand, blue water, sunny days and a friendly smile. Here was life.

I told Paul of my plans. He was not on board and thought I was crazy. "What about College? There are things you are supposed to do in life and running away to some island is not one of them!" He may have convinced himself of this but he did not convince me. My mind was set. This was what I was supposed to do. We went up to the grocery store and looked at the "For Rent" and "Help Wanted" cards on the bulletin board. I jotted down some numbers and rode the bus back to Camp Deluge at Malekahana.

It started raining on the bus ride back and never let up. Once again we found ourselves in the restroom. Who sleeps in a restroom? They had concrete benches and now I imagined there are probably lots of us that had shared these accommodations on occasion. Names were knifed in the wood of the walls by other POW's marking their days imprisoned in this Bowel Movement Bunker. Eventually we left and made our way back to the damp tent and the Water Planet.

The next day Paul and I went our separate ways. He was done. Over it. He took the bus to Waikiki and myself back to the North Shore. I called one of the numbers on the bulletin board and a guy named Brett chirped up on the other end of the phone. "Yeah man come check out the room. Walk on down past Pipeline and we are the first house alongside the Ehukai park". When I got there it was a brilliant array of 80's day glo striped surfboards and bikini madness. Waves were crashing and the salt air was a buzz with surf culture extravaganzas taking place before my eyes. Brett had a great A-frame house right on the beach at Ehukai next to the heralded Banzai Pipeline. Brett was Mr. Cool. Too cool for me and I could tell I wasn't the right fit for his hip happening surf soiree. Also I didnt have a job or anyway to pay for a room. He wasnt going to rent a room to some kid without a job but he did offer me a job. Dishwashing at the place where he worked over by my campsite. It was the start I needed.

I made it back to camp just in time for the rainstorm and enjoyed a damp evening summoning strength for the days to come knowing that dry days were ahead. It couldnt rain forever.

Last edited:

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
The next day I went down to the restaurant "Pat's at Punalu'u and started washing dishes. Capt. Tom was a red headed son of a bitch boss in his 30's that was way to much fun to be around. Brett was his assistant and While Tom wore a Chefs jacket Brett preferred just a T shirt and shorts. Tom liked being the boss and was innately a leader.

I slogged through the task of slopping plates, separating and filling trays with slimy dishes and pushing them through the machine. Pots and Pans and spatula after spatula were guided by me through the opening and closing of the big washer doors and pulled out steaming hot on my face. Next they were delivered to their respective areas of the restaurant. At the end of my first shift Brett and I went over to the bar area for our "Pau Hana". After very shift you get a free drink! How wonderful and fair. . I enjoyed the beer and Brett bought me another. Brett, Myself and a about three Sufer Girl waitresses hopped in Bretts car and headed off to home on the North Shore. I didnt live there yet however and asked to be dropped off on the side of the road saying "I was staying in this neighborhood", of which there was one grass overgrown abandoned house. The cutest waitress giggled and asked me if I was camping out at Malekahana. "Yeah" Sheepishly and embarrassed I admitted. "Cool Man" she said.

I needed to get out of the rain and soon answered an ad on the board for a room on the North Shore. It was on Kumupali road. It was a single Mom, Deja and her young daughter Malia. I was to sleep in Malia's Princess canopied bed while she slept with her Mom. I didnt fit in the bed but made due. It was just nice to be out of the rain. And I could afford it.

Over time at Pat's I would be trained to do menial food prep tasks and whatever slack needed tightening. One day, Ozzie Osbourne and the "Crazy Train" were playing too loud and the next thing I know a 5x3 stainless steel scraper came whizzing by and just missed my head slicing its way into the radio like a flung playing card into a thick orchid leaf. Capt Tom angry as hell standing there looking at me with that "Pay Attention and turn that sh!t off!" look in his eyes!

On occasion after a shift I would drive Toms old beater 1960's ex-county car to the bakery to pick up the nights bread. In addition to my Pau Hana, Tom would set me up with a shot of whiskey and half a joint for the ride. The old Ford with the county seal of Honolulu painted over in red spray paint. msking it look like Japanese Zero, had bent tie rods and the steering of a bull held by the horns. The alcohol just brought everything together. I would drive to the back door of the bakery a few miles down the road in Hauuala and they would fill the car with pink boxes and boxes of bread and I would bring them back to the restaurant. They didnt need to know who I was. They knew the car. At this stage however the dish washing was wearing on me. My clothes were getting ruined. My shoes were turning upwards like elves shoes as the water and heat contorted them. Soon I knew I would graduate to the next level of this place, if I just hung in there.

Last edited:

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Tonight I learned he thought he had a heart attack this week. It was just a pinched nerve.

When he was a kid he used to sleep in the back yard with his dog because he was afraid of aliens. He thought they'd find him if he was in his room. He then gave me a lesson on the planets visible in the night sky tonight. Venus and one other, he forgot which one.

Total time spent: 30 seconds.

byoda

OTF status
Jan 3, 2006
in school we had to do a day in the kitchen i always ended up cleaning the big pots with sh!t burnt on bottom i never got them cleaned up so so i would usually get yelled at like hey you f___in haole go scrub em then getting whacked with a spatula or what ever implement was handy
my stint as food service wage slave was at perry bros smorgy in kaneohe my friend was a dishwasher said there was a busboy job open i needed $ to pay my new custom stick so i signed up and was carting back peoples food art only found in an all you can eat joint
we had these 3 slop barrels we called sludge, deep sludge, deepest sludge that one gurgled it was fun for awhile
the filipino cooks turn us on to opiated thai stik i remember smoking a doob of that out back and being higher
than a kite and hearing freebird for the first time
i started getting sick of cleaning up the piggery mess so as soon as i paid off the the $180 for my board i was gone
never had a food service job since

Reactions: tacos

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
@Pico ~ no moa Crouching Lion stories? :porcorn:

Ever meet a guy called Ronnie? Haole guy or rotten Ronnie? Sold T-shirts at Bullwinkle's / Moose McGillicuddy's in Waikiki?
He lived around "Pat's".

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
To all you experienced dishwashers: DId you ever throw burnt pots and pans in the trash instead of cleaning and scrubbing the hell out of them to get them clean?

• Dislike

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
To all you experienced dishwashers: DId you ever throw burnt pots and pans in the trash instead of cleaning and scrubbing the hell out of them to get them clean?
That was an option?????

• Haha

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Tonight I learned he thought he had a heart attack this week. It was just a pinched nerve.

When he was a kid he used to sleep in the back yard with his dog because he was afraid of aliens. He thought they'd find him if he was in his room. He then gave me a lesson on the planets visible in the night sky tonight. Venus and one other, he forgot which one.

Total time spent: 30 seconds.

Jupiter.

At sunset, clear skies looking west, you can see them both.

With binoculars, you can see the 4 Galilean moons of Jupiter. They look like grains of sugar next to it.

+++++

Last night, I loaded the dishwasher.

This morning, I unloaded it

Then loaded breakfast dishes/bowls/cups.

At the lunch room at work, got to use the automatic espresso machine and then washed out the cup in preparation for tomorrow.

I expect to repeat this for the next 4 days in a row.

While I do not relish this aspect of existence, I totally recognize it could be much worse and thus have made some peace with it.

Last edited:

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
Jupiter.

At sunset, clear skies looking west, you can see them both.

With binoculars, you can see the 4 Galilean moons of Jupiter. They look like grains of sugar next to it.

+++++

Last night, I loaded the dishwasher.

This morning, I unloaded it

Then loaded breakfast dishes/bowls/cups.

At the lunch room at work, got to use the automatic espresso machine and then washed out the cup in preparation for tomorrow.

I expect to repeat this for the next 4 days in a row.

While I do not relish this aspect of existence, I totally recognize it could be much worse and thus have made some peace with it.
Jupiter & Venus a little over a week ago.