The Official “Dear retodd” Thread

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Dear retodd,
My name is sushipop and I am a 42 y/o surfer who lives in North San Diego County and mostly surfs the reef breaks in the town I reside in. I am 5’8” x 175 lbs, although I am planning on utilizing laxatives and manorexia to loose some fluff soon with a target weight in the 160s. I like taking nature photos with my iPhone 7, Lincoln Deadlifts, writing abstract prose, riding surfboards with dangerous tri fins and contributing useless banter to the erBB. Anywho, I have really enjoyed and learned from your fin recommendations over the years and am writing this letter to solicit some of your extensive knowledge in order to get a recent board purchase of mine dialed in. The board in question is a 6’0” Aleutian Juice Malolo that I stole from....ahem...I mean, bought off Sublime74. It is equipped with Futures boxes in a thruster set up. I’ve ridden the board twice with a set of medium JJF Alpha fins, but I feel like the board is asking for something different. Looking at the tail, it almost seems like it wants larger side fins with a smaller center fin. But I say that hesitantly as I know I am no sage in the matter. If you would be so generous to recommend a good thruster set for the board in question, I would be happy to block for you the next time you come down to the break who’s name rhymes with Crowdiff Grief.
Signed,
Waiting in Earnestcinitas

bigsurfer67

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 29, 2008
I actually sold retodd a Tom Morey "Y" longboard about 10 years ago from Craigslist...wonder if he remembers that board? Was a long time ago!

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Outstanding writemenship

I found most of Dave's thrusters like big sides and a smaller center

I like Merrick or Patterson sides with a YU or stamps center fin

At Crowddif I would go Merrick/ YU . Loads of drive but carves easy . Perfect for the slopey walls on offer

bigsurfer67

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 29, 2008
bigsurfer67 said:
I actually sold retodd a Tom Morey "Y" longboard about 10 years ago from Craigslist...wonder if he remembers that board? Was a long time ago!
I got it on Craigslist first for cheap...unfortunately not enough rocker for me. Was kind of a weird but cool board...asymmetrical and thick...a little like a kidney bean in shape. Very durable board though...you came down from HB to Laguna area to get it from me. I think you said you were going to give it to the lifeguards in Doheny area...board would work great there. Forgot what I sold it for to you or other details...was a LONG time ago lol.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
retodd said:
That was not me
I would hope not. Only place you see them is in Laguna because the guy sells them here. People I know were like he's totally hooking us up and then I was like HO. He's ripping you guys off.....LOL

sublime74

Miki Dora status
Jan 13, 2010
Haha hope you find the right fins for it, Retodd is the best fin guy i know of so ur in good hands now, lets surf together soon

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Dear retodd,
Thanks for the great info and recommendations. Do you run the medium or large Merrick’s?
Signed,
I should’ve talked Sublime into selling me the YUs he had on him since they’re hard to find.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
I feel lucky to have gotten in on the ground floor of the erBB Stamps wave thanks to a fortuitous surf session with retodd. Thanks for setting me on a path toward great customs Todd :cheers:

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC
Dear Retodd,

I have a buddy who eats pho without any noodles, yes! without the noodles, is he doomed?