The Northeast - erBB tips n tricks.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Forgot to add—Nova Scotia is awesome and worth the drive if you can find time. You may even find waves that time of year. I saw Lawrencetown looking really fun passing through late summer/early fall many moons ago.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Check out the Finger Lakes in Upstate NY. Not too crowded at all and freaking beautiful. I'd target Skaneateles, Keuka and Seneca lakes. Do the wine trail around Seneca. Mineral, dry on the west side. Sweeter, fruit forward on the east-due to soil differences.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Acadia is nice
but dont expect it to compare to other national parks

It’s mostly up, turn around and come down trails, not loops
at the top it’s a nice view, but crowded, with a parking lot that people and busses fill up

also acadia is a nice long drive from Boston.
Other than Acadia, I haven’t done New England other than winter in years

imho, when you’ve got the awesome outdoor experience out west, you really need to scale back your expectations when on the east coast

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Bar Harbor, Portland, hell, stop at the LL Bean HQ, even that is pretty cool.

Apr 18, 2012
NYC
If sailing and old buildings are your thing, you can't go wrong in Newport RI. To get there you could head south from Boston and hit the west Cape, or Nantucket, Woods Hole...et ct.

Reactions: sushipop

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Need erBB recs. Booked some tix for August. 20 days. We like hiking, especially peakbagging, and history. Music too. Flying into Boston, plan to head north into VT, NH, ME.

Are Nova Scotia, Quebec City, Montreal worth the effort/marathon driving? (Looks like the ferry to Nova Scotia would be $600 round trip - not worth it in my book)
lived in boston for 5 years pre med school (post college). Not Sure how long you guys will be there or if you will get a rental car and drive north but if you do

1. Fenway park; not sure you are a baseball fan but if you are at all then a game at Fenway is a great experience. To see a park that was built in 1912 is amazing. A trip back in time.

2. Cheers bar is pointless.

3. Paul revere house is famous but not worth in my opinion.

4. Maryland is crab cakes. boston is lobster, go to Legal Seafood. Have some chowder if you can (Cup, not bowl). Atlantic Fish Co. is another good one.

5. Harvard is close and historic if you have interest. Easy trip.

6. Normally free concerts on the charles river.- "The Hatch" .

7. Beantown pub is a good local place. Have a Sam Adams next to the grave of Sam Adams.

8. PIzza at Regina Pizzerà in the N. End.

9. Copley sq. and church.

Can't speak to much to outside of boston. Some family visited Acadia and loved it. Burlington Vt is a cool place as well

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Hiking
White mountains
Katahdin (you might need a reservation)
Sugarloaf
Acadia (more for views than peak bagging)
Gear note: Generally speaking, hikes in New England are steeper. Poles are used here more than I see out west. So much easier on the knees.

Rural beauty
Upstate New York
Downeast Maine

Tours and History
Boston. The tip for the duck boat tour is actually a great one.

Food
• Portland's food scene is superior to Boston's despite its small size. Lots of notable places for all tastes. Plus, the city is way more walkable.
• If you like shellfish, you'll be stoked. Excellent mussels and oysters throughout MA, NH, ME
• Lobster rolls are best when you eat them outdoors, on the coast, out of a red and white hot dog tray. Kind of hard to fuck them up. Plenty of places with excellent lobster rolls that are nondescript. They're kind of a let down when you eat them at the restaurant IMO.
• Pizza. Use the barstool One Bite app to find the goods.

Old Architecture
Boston
QC

Surf
If there’s a hurricane with long period swells, find a reef or point in NH or Maine.
If short period, Cape Cod

And finally, just for you, Drag Queen Story Hour
Provincetown
Ogunquit

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Franconia, NH?
Newport, RI?
Franconia is a gem of NE mountain town, also if you want above tree line hiking and skip the Presidentials there are some great routes on the Lafayette ridge directly across the notch from Cannon.

Reactions: Chocki

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Get the One Bite app. Will guide to the best 'za wherever you are.
As a New Yorker this is accurate. I don’t use it (most native new yorkers already know the best slice they will find in just about any neighborhood or even suburban town) but the app is legit

Reactions: slipped_disc
Jul 18, 2018
White Mountains definitely are a stop, want to hit the major summits in that zone. Kinda disappointing you can drive up Mt Washington, I wasn't aware of that.
Depends on what you want and what other priorities you're managing.
The Whites are great. I haven't been to the White's in 20 years but last time I hit Washington it was pretty busy. That said, I haven't been there in 20 years so take my advice with a grain of salt.
IMHO the Adirondacks are special. Great blend of outdoor excellence with relatively low crowds, especially for the timing you're on.
I spent many years climbing in CA/OR/WA and remain pretty impressed with the ADK. That said, they're pretty rugged (steep/chunky trails), aren't always the easiest to get to, and can't quite compete with the vistas you're gonna get in Yosemite/Sierras etc. All that said, they're worth your time and have their own charm.
When I can, I sneak up to Northville/Lake Placid and get dirty. Mt Marcy is the obvious target and worth your time if you're into it, but the adjacent peaks are just as good (just not as tall).
If you do head that way, make sure to hit the great Meat Store of the North, https://www.deliandmeatstore.com/
Lake George is also great, I've only been twice, but I tend to avoid it high summer as it's quite busy, at least the few spots that I've been to. My perspective there would surely change if I had a friend with a house there. YMMV
Good luck!

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
They used to do downhills from the summit over the lip down Tucks to the Sherburne Trail finishing in Pinkham Notch in the wood skis, leather boot era.
My dad dropped the headwall back in the 60s. Has some good stories, but said the stuff of legend happened like twenty years prior.... some nut went straight from the top – over the headwall – and down. I don't think that's been done since.

Reactions: mundus