The new Christenson Wolverine

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
... it may sound depressing, but i think that this type of board will stick around when i give up on shortboarding in 15-20 years time haha
Bro, it happens sooner than you expect. Look at @Havoc :ROFLMAO: He gave up SBs cause of the crowd
I actually do this too though, when I find a sh#tlength that I actually enjoy. I think "this could probably be my DD in a few years." So far it's the 6'4 eggy plasmid... if I ever get it back from @MathDebater

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
@claw87 , It's almost 21" wide, so of course it doesn't react as quickly as a shortie. Also, at your size, a 6'6 won't glide in like a mid length.

I just surfed mine in waist high point runners this morning, the first time on it in a few weeks, and coming off the back of big waves on bigger boards. Was like in old friend, and what really struck me was how fcuken fast the board is.

Old man, on my backhand, and marginal waves, but still so so good.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
@claw87 , It's almost 21" wide, so of course it doesn't react as quickly as a shortie. Also, at your size, a 6'6 won't glide in like a mid length.

I just surfed mine in waist high point runners this morning, the first time on it in a few weeks, and coming off the back of big waves on bigger boards. Was like in old friend, and what really struck me was how fcuken fast the board is.

You're stocked! The board is very fast indeed, it's crazy how much ground you can cover on a single bottom turn. My comment wasn't meant as a criticism on the wolverine, nor are those characteristics very surprising. It's just a type of board I'm not accustomed to riding, taking me some time to really figure it out. But definitely one of the most versatile shapes I've ever ridden and a keeper for sure. And I think getting used to a longer rail might smoothen out my lines on a shortie too.

Reactions: j_mac

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I got that, and I was just trying to explain why I thought you experienced what you did.

I didn't do a very good job of it, haha! Sounded like I was just being grumpy

• Haha
Reactions: j_mac and claw87
Jan 30, 2023

I’m also 195 and got the 6’6” with some extra thickness as well, have it pretty dialed at this point. Love the board, it’s been a good all arounder, and decided I really like the shape. So I’m thinking I’d prefer to grab one slightly smaller, maybe a stock 6’4” as a crutch short board I can dig in a little more with, and then a bigger mid length type 7’.

Does your 6’10” have that mid length glide feel? Im mainly looking at the 7’ for crowd control and big racey waves which I theorize it would be perfect for and indeed have that glide with some extra length, but prefer to ask someone who has experience with it.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Only packed the Wolverine for what I thought was going to be a shoulder to HH session. New 18sec swell was totally step laddering, with every new set bigger. Still quite burgery with the strong sideshore sea breeze, but was full on snowboarding leaning into huge turns.

Saw a quote from Margo yesterday saying backhand cutdowns on decent size waves were his fave, so I tried (yeah, I know) channeling the master and doing those.

Good fun, and the biggest I've surfed the W yet. No skipping out, super smooth.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
20240211_174513.jpg20240211_180315.jpg

Probably had about 8-10 surfs on it. Felt a pretty deep foot well under the rear foot so I stripped the wax. The heel dent is probably about 1/4 inch deep, heaps of shatters in the glass. Not sure if the blank was soft or the glassing is off, but it's 6+4 on the deck and most my shortboards are 4+4 and they look better than that after 25+ sessions. The wolverine is my most expensive board so I'm not exactly pleased....
Long story short I just pad a pad on it. But hey, Margo uses them too, so am I excused?

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: j_mac and oeste858

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Where was yours built? That's pretty bad for a new'ish board.

Probably have 20-30 surfs on mine, and hardly any dents.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Where was yours built? That's pretty bad for a new'ish board.

Probably have 20-30 surfs on mine, and hardly any dents.
Olatu in Spain. I might let them know, but not sure what sort of reaction I'd hope for anyways:shrug:

Jan 7, 2020
Olatu in Spain. I might let them know, but not sure what sort of reaction I'd hope for anyways:shrug:
They are pretty notorious for quality issues. I have had a few solid boards from them and a few that were apparently made of cheese... Too risky for me now, given the prices.

• Sad
Reactions: oeste858

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
They are pretty notorious for quality issues. I have had a few solid boards from them and a few that were apparently made of cheese... Too risky for me now, given the prices.
Pyzel (made at Polen) takes the cake, Sharpeye (Euroglass) second. Had a fin box explode on a Sharpeye last year though, half the tail was sanded through. Whilst they replaced the board eventually it was pretty annoying at first cause it happened on a trip.
Unfortunately not ordering from Olatu would mean not only no Christensons, but no CI, Lost, Pukas either :(
Used to get some boards from the UK (Ocean Magic for Pyzel, some stuff from Beachbeat or Seabase), but Brexit put an end to that..
Where are you ordering your boards from now?

Pyzel (made at Polen) takes the cake, Sharpeye (Euroglass) second. Had a fin box explode on a Sharpeye last year though, half the tail was sanded through. Whilst they replaced the board eventually it was pretty annoying at first cause it happened on a trip.
Unfortunately not ordering from Olatu would mean not only no Christensons, but no CI, Lost, Pukas either :(
Used to get some boards from the UK (Ocean Magic for Pyzel, some stuff from Beachbeat or Seabase), but Brexit put an end to that..
As someone who grew up in Portugal and lives in the US I would say that the surfboard quality here (when done at a proper glass shop) is miles ahead of even the best stuff (Pukas, Ocean Magic), only to be topped by some Australian shops (Rhino, Sun Glass). Cheaper too...
It's almost worth it to get a bunch of customs made, air freight them to JFK, and get on a plane with a board coffin to get them.

Reactions: Havoc and claw87

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
As someone who grew up in Portugal and lives in the US I would say that the surfboard quality here (when done at a proper glass shop) is miles ahead of even the best stuff (Pukas, Ocean Magic), only to be topped by some Australian shops (Rhino, Sun Glass). Cheaper too...
It's almost worth it to get a bunch of customs made, air freight them to JFK, and get on a plane with a board coffin to get them.
"Honey, what are you doing?" - "Nothing, just going to pick up a few boards in the states"
I have been considering getting some xtrs or varials shipped, but for PUs I'll stick to "local" production. I'm currently riding a PU polyola, and whilst a bit heavier it's holding up really well. Pyzel has been super consistent too.

Jan 7, 2020
I'm in the UK so, the above. Stuff coming out of Co.Lab looks pretty good too. DownTheLine import a bunch of stuff from Aus (e.g. JS, DHD) as well as the Pukas stuff. I'm mostly on customs from local shapers at the moment though.

Funnily enough I was very close to pulling the trigger on a custom Christenson when I saw your Wolverine picture. It triggered some PTSD from a ...Lost I had out of that factory a few years ago and looked at least that bad after a few surfs. Decided to pass.

Reactions: claw87
"Honey, what are you doing?" - "Nothing, just going to pick up a few boards in the states"
I have been considering getting some xtrs or varials shipped, but for PUs I'll stick to "local" production. I'm currently riding a PU polyola, and whilst a bit heavier it's holding up really well. Pyzel has been super consistent too.
Curious about that construction Miguel Blanco is riding them with some success - what kind of board are you riding ?

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Curious about that construction Miguel Blanco is riding them with some success - what kind of board are you riding ?
Sharpeye cheat code, poly glassing. I think it was an extra 40€ for the blank, plus I went with a white rail spray. If you don't put any colour on it, it's going to look like an old firewire haha.

It's a bit heavier than regular PU, I'd say the 4+4/4 feels more like a 6+4/4. Doesn't bother me too much, but they now offer a lighter blank which I'll try for the next board. Board is holding up really well.

20240115_180214_exported_1504_1705584954541.jpg