The new Christenson Wolverine

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Yep. Had a pair of Captain Fin CC twins, and they seem perfect (no surprise).

Volume wise, it feels like a hair more than my 6'4 Ghost. Rails are low, and there' not a lot of excess beef anywhere. Guessing ~38L.

May 20, 2020
Yep. Had a pair of Captain Fin CC twins, and they seem perfect (no surprise).

Volume wise, it feels like a hair more than my 6'4 Ghost. Rails are low, and there' not a lot of excess beef anywhere. Guessing ~38L.
looking forward to hearing about it

Reactions: bluengreen

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Rightio, some quick thoughts on the Wolverine.

Just to allay N Shores' fears, I'm 25 pounds away from his target market, and surf every day. But yes, I'm 60yo and like more rail and more volume, although I get on just fine on my 5'10 Pyzel nugget.

Never really got the twin fin bug, but the look of the Wolverine really appealed to me, and I hoped/thought it'd be perfect for our long points and as a travel board.

Surfed it in shoulder high beach break. Pretty perfect bank, but waves backed off on the inside, so late turns had little to push against. Mates were on longboards, but I really wanted to test the board out, and it surprised me. Such a burst of speed off the bottom, almost violent, and it felt nicely locked in and positive, never having to nurse the bottom turn. Roundhouse cutbacks felt glorious if I hit them before the wave ran into deeper water.

Was focused on the rights, but a few lefts came through that really stood up nicely, and I got my best turns on a HH left: deep bottom turn with no hint of the 'oh, I'll just keep going off the back of the wave' that twinnies often do, and a really solid whack off the top.

To sum up, it has very good speed and hold off the bottom, better glide in weaker waves than I could have hoped for, and never felt weird or wobble in any way.

Easy to duckdive with my 180lbs, and definitely not a blobby crutch of a board.

Will update after a good point day.

Btw, this is a Long Phish, not a Wolverine, and in WA, but this is like a good day at our points and exactly what I wanted it for:
http://instagr.am/p/CxnO56VyLwi/

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Bought through NZ shop, made by Onboard team in Aus.

Shape and glass job looks really good, but finish sanding (cosmetic, not edges) is just a little sloppy. Will give it a fine wet rub myself.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Rightio, some quick thoughts on the Wolverine.

Just to allay N Shores' fears, I'm 25 pounds away from his target market, and surf every day. But yes, I'm 60yo and like more rail and more volume, although I get on just fine on my 5'10 Pyzel nugget.

Never really got the twin fin bug, but the look of the Wolverine really appealed to me, and I hoped/thought it'd be perfect for our long points and as a travel board.

Surfed it in shoulder high beach break. Pretty perfect bank, but waves backed off on the inside, so late turns had little to push against. Mates were on longboards, but I really wanted to test the board out, and it surprised me. Such a burst of speed off the bottom, almost violent, and it felt nicely locked in and positive, never having to nurse the bottom turn. Roundhouse cutbacks felt glorious if I hit them before the wave ran into deeper water.

Was focused on the rights, but a few lefts came through that really stood up nicely, and I got my best turns on a HH left: deep bottom turn with no hint of the 'oh, I'll just keep going off the back of the wave' that twinnies often do, and a really solid whack off the top.

To sum up, it has very good speed and hold off the bottom, better glide in weaker waves than I could have hoped for, and never felt weird or wobble in any way.

Easy to duckdive with my 180lbs, and definitely not a blobby crutch of a board.

Will update after a good point day.

Btw, this is a Long Phish, not a Wolverine, and in WA, but this is like a good day at our points and exactly what I wanted it for:
http://instagr.am/p/CxnO56VyLwi/
I may or may not have just put an order in for a 6'6 after reading your review

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Kind of interesting the intersection of the Wolverine with the Lane Splitter, under 6’4 it’s a lane splitter swallow tail. I’m tempted to compare a 6’4ish against my Moonstone.

I really like V on the entry for a “fug it I’ll just go surf regardless of conditions” kind of board.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Anyone spot these OTR around NCSD?

looking to feel up a 6’5-6’7
Smaller than you mentioned, but they have a 6’2” on their site:

Does CC no longer have stuff for sale at the showroom in Moonlight Glassing? I know it looks like it’s under new ownership, but wasn’t sure if he still had stuff for sale there or elsewhere now. Curious what the story is on the change.

Icons of Surf in San Clemente has a couple 6’4”s:

Last edited:
Reactions: sdsrfr

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
bit of an update on the wolverine....after my first session on the board was a bit of a shocker (https://forum.surfer.com/index.php?threads/official-2024-community-surf-journal.242790/post-3932418) it took me a few more surfs to really start to enjoy the board. It's a stock 6'6 (me 6'2 probably around 195), and I found that size a bit confusing at first. doesn't glide into waves like a midlength, but at the same time you have to be a bit careful with late takeoffs. with the extra length, foam and weight there's also that slight delay when initiating a turn. once I had that figured out i started to really dig it though. it's fast, holds when you want it to, releases when you want it to and has great glide over flat sections. but what's most noteworthy is that there's something special going on with those rails. they feel "free" and don't catch when you're going slow, but still they feel like they work better the faster you go.
power twins felt fine albeit a bit stiff backside, nice and nimble with the MRs.
I've surfed it from kneehigh beachbreak (frontside) to well over head pointbreak surf (backside). have yet to surf it in some solid frontside point waves but no doubt it's gonna excel. it may sound depressing, but i think that this type of board will stick around when i give up on shortboarding in 15-20 years time haha