The New Channel Islands Upright Fin

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
don't care for very upright fins, the performer or accelerator type of sweep is perfect for most conditions, more raked fin at a frontside point

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
"The new CI Upright came from a need to balance the CI fin offering. Where the original, highly raked CI fin is more suited to classic down-the-line thrust and drawn out turns, the reality is, most surfers are riding smaller waves and beach breaks that require quicker turns, and a fin that allows for more pivot."

Then why are most local pros (and non pros) still running the regular CI fins in small crappy beach break and ripping? Seems like marketing jargon. Seems like most rippers and non rippers alike that pay attention to fins use the CIs, almost always.

I use the regular CIs too but I suck. Use whatever you like, but I think "this fin for these conditions" is mostly BS as evidenced by this thread. People like what they like and that's what they use.

Last edited:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I like the Jordy fins from Futures. Never seen Jordy use them; he's always riding large AMs.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I like the Jordy fins from Futures. Never seen Jordy use them; he's always riding large AMs.
His old template? I feel like I've seen him riding the new camo ones since they came out.

I like the new Jordy's. Just a little looser than the AM2's.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Should be a fun fin template for small waves and beach breaks.

Not exactly a gaping hole in the fin quiver, the reactors do a fine job here, but why not...

They are pretty ugly though. I also tend to agree in the CI fin complaints. I'd imagine they're fine for smaller guys but even the large ones don't seem to have much punch. Definitely prefer the Fannings and Jordys as far as raked templates go.

On a side note, gawd this is an ugly fin. Who designs these things?

Reactions: JDJ

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
I like the new Jordy's. Just a little looser than the AM2's.
The new Jordy large fins are almost identical to the AM2 template. The AM2's are a hair bigger, if that, when I put one on top of the other they look identical.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Its a small difference but having ridden am2s for a long time it's a difference I can feel.
Agreed. Still loads of drive but looser. If you are on the lighter side and like am2's you might prefer these; I'm about 165 and use em in wider tail boars/smaller waves.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I'm just being purposely disagreeable because I know how many people love AM fins.

If you don't like reactors, you probably won't like these either. They're even more upright.

Stick with a rakier fin if that's what works best for you. Ever tried the Fanning fin?
I was thinking about the fannings and the Kolohe fins. Have you (or anyone else) tried the Kolohe fins? Im wondering if they will be similar to the AM fins.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I was thinking about the fannings and the Kolohe fins. Have you (or anyone else) tried the Kolohe fins? Im wondering if they will be similar to the AM fins.
I ran Kolohes in a Driver 2.0, initially they felt very snappy and loose in ways I'm not accustomed to. At least on my forehand. Just a different way of surfing.

Fins I like: Fannings, JS, DHD. Also AMs in the right board

May 10, 2018
I have the Kolohes. I like them. I use them in bigger waves. They feel a bit drivier and stiffer than my Mayhem fins (that I like in waves up to 4 feet) which is what i wanted but not as stiff as the AMs.

I also have the Reactors. I am not a huge fan of them. ALthough I want to try them in my Ghost, that is already pretty drivey and stiff.

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
hahah! Oh, you're asking for it.

I want to try the Kolohe fins.

Reactions: jkb