The new 101 parking/bike/ped lane scheme in Cardiff/Encinitas...

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Does the guy a few weeks ago, riding at midnight, no helmet count? He was down by Machado Reef.

I was almost taken out by tumble weeds last week.
Just down the road from the area in the original post:

Cardiff 101 Crash List

——-
1. Wed 4/22/2020: crash reported on Strava by John Keturi Southbound at “the jog”. Keturi
was Riding NB in the new bikeway observing all the changes on both sides of the road. On the
SB side, at the “S”, he saw a rider appear to hit a curb or something & go down. Keturi
continued his ride NB, then turned around by Leucadia. On the return trip SB, he took the
sharrow lane because he saw EMT Vehicles at the site of the rider going down.
2. Sun 4/26 530am. Cyclist northbound at south end near bottom of descent out of SB.
Details in SB Group per Karl Rudnick.
3. Sun 4/26 1030am. Northbound about the same location as the 530am crash. Witnessed
by Joanna Clinch.
4. Mon 4/27: “family of children”. Mentioned in comment by Jacqui Wood in Swamis Group.
5. Wed 4/29: reported as #3 by Julie Thunder in Encinitas Votes. Cyclist southbound hits
wheel stop at “the jog”. Broken pelvis confirmed by Trish Butler, friend of victim.
6. Wed 4/29 “I was riding south, just south of Las Olas, and hit a berm. I was lucky in that I
didn't sustain any serious bodily injury, there was a deputy sheriff there who witnessed it,
and wrote up a report. I contacted the city of encinitas who gave me the phone number of
the contractor. I called him and he said he'd reimburse me for my destroyed sunglasses and
helmet... I'll take my chances with disgruntled drivers, but the bike lane is more dangerous,
even now that the berms have been painted. It's apparent that whoever designed this has
never ridden a bike.” -Bob Coles
7. Sun 5/3: 10 year old boy in bikeway is cut-off by another cyclist, swerves to avoid a
pedestrian, and hits a wheel stop which throws him into the traffic lane. Report by parent on
the Nextdoor app.
8. Sun 5/3: Another child hit wheel stop and crashed reported by Ray Lafleur. “Sunday I had
a young boy try to ride through the berms Southbound to avoid walkers. He crashed and
took the guy behind him down. We were able to stop in time. This traffic solution is a mess
and someone will surely get killed before it is a month old!” “I’m pretty sure it was a different
incident. The kid was alone and didn’t end up in the traffic lane.”
9. Wed 5/13. Witnessed by Jason Campbell. Documented in Strava. Injuries apparently not
serious. Details coming.
10. Tue 5/26. Husband of Becky Bourgeois. Southbound just after Chesterfield.
Experienced randonneur Len Bourgeois apparently hit a wheel stop when trying to avoid
pedestrians in a confusing situation. Aided by surfers. Fractures.
11. Wed 5/27. Boyfriend of Jenn Potter witnessed a bike vs ped-w/-surfboard crash
aftermath scene. Both males. Northbound side approaching Chesterfield.
12. Wed 6/3. Reported by Brad Colbert “On Wednesday I was riding south on the 101,
actually in the bike lane and not in the sharrows, just for kicks. A runner was also in the

bike lane (we were still in the section with the pedestrian walkway). This runner decided to
cross the road (not at a crosswalk), and tripped over one of the "safety" curbs.”
"Danger! It's not just for cyclists anymore."
13. Thur 6/4 reported 7am by Bonnie Jo at Encinitas Votes: “Just saw a biker down on coast
highway surrounded by his bike buddies. Just passed the ambulance on the way. ☹”. Also
“northbound just south of Kraken”.
NOTE: That’s near the wheel stop I (Serge) nearly hit.
14. medical emergency 1035am 6/9/2020. Reported by Elaine Miller: “guy on an electric
unicycle [one wheel skateboard] hit one of the barriers, crashed and Elaine’s husband
called 911 who said if he didn’t have to go to the hospital they wouldn’t do anything. A
Sheriff gave the guy a ride to the place he was staying. He was scraped up and bloody “
15. Wed 6/24/2020. Per Mark Halprin 6/25 email and follow up email from victim Paula on
6/29. “I was riding [southbound in front of Pacific Coast Grill at 2526 S Coast Highway]
behind a friend & slightly to her left while I was talking to her. She exited off the main road
onto the bike path. I followed her. The next thing I knew, the pole was in front of me & I
knew I was going to hit it. I have attached a photo. I have been outright in saying that my
attention was not what it should be. However, people have said to me: yes, but you did not
expect a pole to be there!” Injuries: “Minor (road-rash on right knee & right elbow, bruised
right hip)”
16. Fri July 3, 2020. Cyclist avoiding cycle trap hit from behind by car just after sunset while
riding in sharrow lane southbound climbing hill just past Seaside beach entrance. Reported
by Julie Thunder as witnessed by her daughter.
17. Fri July 10, 2020. Bike vs ped crash apparently due to sand in cycle trap. See:
18. Thu July 29, 2020. Injury crash due to construction fencing snagging the handlebar of a
bike. Reported by Michael Faulstich. Because of the obstacles there is no way to keep a
safe distance if you choose to ride in the trap.
19. July 29/30: Per Kara Kline Buczek:
“My sister in law, who is an avid cyclist, was visiting from out of town and brought her bike
here to bike. She grew up here and knows the area but now lives out of state. Last

Wednesday or Thursday, July 29/30, she was riding her bike northbound and in front of
Kai’s and hit one of the new curb things with her tire. She said the bike path curves slightly
at that point. She fell hard and was banged up very badly but did not require a trip to the
hospital. A nurse was nearby and helped bandage her up and stayed with her until we were
able to pick her up. Her bike was unrideable and repairs to her bike are around $750. She
also hit her head and tweaked her back. Fortunately, she is recovering. “
Note by Serge: I almost hit this same particular wheel stop a couple of months ago. Totally
agree the gap preceding on a curve is pathological.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
20. Monday, August 3: Per Lisa S. Rothemund and Bob Chapman: Female cyclist down
today at 1:45pm. South bound in the bike way in the section after the Cardiff Kook and
bridge but before Pacific Coast Grill. Her pedal evidently got caught up in the orange
construction fence. Paramedics were on the scene and the rider had a neck brace on. She
was transported by ambulance.
21. Friday, September 4 2020 12:45 pm per Julie Thunder: my friend Bill just called to tell
me a cyclist was down and paramedics are on the scene. Southbound, between the Kook
and the lagoon outlet bridge. I hope the person is ok . Paramedic EFD call at 12:25pm
confirmed on PulsePoint app.
Also Paul Chintawat: I drove by just around that time (12:30pm-ish). It was southbound just
north of the bridge. The right lane was closed due to construction of the new ped walkway.
There was one of those big <<< signs to close the lane. Two cars were stopped with
flashers on in the right lane and two cyclists, looked like one injured.
22. Monday Nov 02. Per Bob Chapman: Riding north today in the bike lane right before
Chesterfield. My friend turned because he thought he heard a car moving over to the right
and boom, hit a wheel stop and went down. Fortunately no serious injury or damage to his
bike.

23. Thursday Dec 10 am. Cyclist down northbound approaching Chesterfield. Details
unknown except paramedics called. Witnessed by Loraine Gruber.
More info from Bob Chapman:
I just found out that on Dec 10th one of the guys in my riding group went down hard riding
north just before Chesterfield. Among other injuries he was knocked unconscious but
remembers hitting a wheel stop after being pressured by a car merging into the right lane.
This is the second guy in my group to have a crash in that area where cars have that short

window to get into the right turn lane. ... [I will check and see how he feels about sharing his
name]. I think he broke his pelvis and possibly shoulder.
24. Sat Dec 26 2020. Per Richard Whittington:
Crash southbound today at about 10:45 am. As many of you know the area just past the
light at the Pacific Coast and Grill is pretty busy, pedestrians, families going the wrong way,
electric bikes rushing by as the light changes, it’s a bit of a s@@t show.
Today an experienced cyclist was caught by the first green post before the wheel stops
start. She went down hard, but didn’t require an ambulance. Was treated by state lifeguards
and the kind kitchen staff of Pacific coast and Grill gave her ice.
They mentioned crashes there were frequent often caused by sand on the road.
This stretch of road, especially South bound is a continued nightmare with drivers now
speeding and cutting into the sharrows. The lifeguard said increasingly accidents also being
caused by riders cutting in and out of the bike trap too.
I hope they fix this soon before a death
Update: Alisa Calderon Harris identified herself as the victim.
25. Tue Jul 13 2021. Hit n run car-bike crash southbound by restaurants. Few details
known. According to witnesses an ambulance took the cyclist but their injuries were
apparently not too serious. Hopefully more details will become available.
26. Mon Sep 6 2021 (Labor Day) 3:40pm. Photo of fallen cyclist and paramedics
northbound at Chesterfield posted by David Fitzgibbons. Paramedic call shown on
PulsePoint.
27. Tue Oct 5, 2021. 4:30pm. Details unknown but reportedly one cyclist hit and two
vehicles involved, northbound just north of Seaside beach, one vehicle crossing wheel stop
barrier and bikeway and ending up in lagoon.
28. Wed Mar 23, 2022. 2pm. Steve Meiche avoiding slower northbound bike traffic in the
trap is riding the sharrows in the #2 lane when driver from behind notices him so late that,
though she swerves to avoid him at the last possible moment, he is nicked and pushed in
the left arm by her car’s right side mirror. Miraculously, and skilz, he doesn’t go down.

29. Sat July 16, 2022, morning, about 9am. Cyclist riding northbound with Rhonda
Addington “did not see physical barriers near the south end”. Front wheel struck a wheel
stop causing him to crash. Broken wrist. Ambulance. Crash aftermath (ambulance, fire
truck) witnessed by Dave Wolfson who says he “was northbound there around 9 or 9:15am
when I saw it.”
30. Sat Aug 27, 2022. 8am
"Is there any news about an accident on the northbound 101 between Solana Beach and
Cardiff that happened yesterday (8/27) at around 8:00am? I witnessed an ambulance drive
off right around then. There was a fire truck parked behind a small grey sedan, both parked
in the first (right) car lane (sharrow lane) and a number of people talking / being interviewed.
Later, riding northbound, I saw a police officer marking the scene with pink spray paint
noting various items in the pavement including what appeared to be evidence of someone
being injured. I couldn't find any report or anything about it. This was just north of [Seaside
Beach]." Kelsey Mullen
"it was a [cyclist] going down and injured badly enough to require the ambulance. We
stopped by and waited for help to arrive. I believe it was regarding a pedestrian with a dog
in the bikeway that precipitated the cyclist crashing." Marco Nicoli

31. Mon Aug 14, 2023.
This guy named Fred James from San Clemente wasn't familiar with the wild assortment of
traffic furniture offered by the World Famous Cardiff Meat Grinder, so as he passes me (and
glances in my direction) near the entrance to Cardiff State Beach, the berms took him out...
Or:

He landed pretty well considering how scary the fall was (almost took out my back wheel!),
and there were lots of people (including a lifeguard) offering assistance. Last I heard he was
at the ER waiting for X-ray results.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I was riding my bike to the gym in Oceanside and I would almost get hit everytime.

After one close call, I ghost rode my bike down the stairs and retired from street riding.

People who ride bike on the street are taking an unnecessary risk.

But I took a lot of those as a child so . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: mundus

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
People who ride bike on the street are taking an unnecessary risk.
a buddy gave me one of those bike trailers for your kid. thought many times over and then gave it away.

not worth the risk/reward. we live in a very car centric area.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
a buddy gave me one of those bike trailers for your kid. thought many times over and then gave it away.

not worth the risk/reward. we live in a very car centric area.
I'm amazed that people would tow their kid around with all these shitty drivers.

But there are times in your life when you feel immortal.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
This guy named Fred James from San Clemente wasn't familiar with the wild assortment of
traffic furniture offered by the World Famous Cardiff Meat Grinder, so as he passes me (and
glances in my direction) near the entrance to Cardiff State Beach, the berms took him out...
Or:

He landed pretty well considering how scary the fall was (almost took out my back wheel!),
and there were lots of people (including a lifeguard) offering assistance. Last I heard he was
at the ER waiting for X-ray results.
You served that psychotic lancer up good, brother!

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
Yes, the barriers are bad.

But the new multi-lane bike lane-parking-bike-sidewalk is nuts.

Then the diagonal parking.
So I decided to surf one of the reef peaks on Friday and drove my GMC crew cab diesel truck southbound and decided to try parking in one of those diagonal back-in spots. First, I pulled over to the side of the road, however my truck is big enough that it still stuck out into the main lane, so I was blocking traffic that had to go a little wide to get around me. Then as I approached a spot, I went just past it so I could then back in... but oh wait, I can't turn to back in because there is traffic coming southbound on coast hwy, so I am sitting there blocking the outside bike lane while waiting for cars to go by, if a cyclist had been coming, they would have had to go out into the middle of the traffic lane to pass by me or switch to the inside bike lane which I think would have been nearly impossible. Then, once traffic cleared I backed in, however my truck is 19 feet long so I swung out into the middle of the southbound hwy as I turned in. So there is no way to stop and back into one of those diagonal parking spaces without holding up traffic, forcing traffic to go around you, blocking the bike lane, etc. And then once I backed in, I walked around to the tailgate and dropped it down, and now I am standing almost in the inner bike lane with my tailgate down pulling out a 5'8. Imagine all the longboards being pulled out that would reach clear across the inner bike lanes. I am certain someone is going to clothes line a cyclist with a longboard. I can't even fathom the thinking that went into this design, clearly an engineer that has never been there and knows nothing about the traffic, bike, and pedestrian patterns. Let alone taking a board off a car or out of the bak of a truck. Has to be the dumbest design I have seen yet on our local roads.

Reactions: Senor Sopa

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
So I decided to surf one of the reef peaks on Friday and drove my GMC crew cab diesel truck southbound and decided to try parking in one of those diagonal back-in spots. First, I pulled over to the side of the road, however my truck is big enough that it still stuck out into the main lane, so I was blocking traffic that had to go a little wide to get around me. Then as I approached a spot, I went just past it so I could then back in... but oh wait, I can't turn to back in because there is traffic coming southbound on coast hwy, so I am sitting there blocking the outside bike lane while waiting for cars to go by, if a cyclist had been coming, they would have had to go out into the middle of the traffic lane to pass by me or switch to the inside bike lane which I think would have been nearly impossible. Then, once traffic cleared I backed in, however my truck is 19 feet long so I swung out into the middle of the southbound hwy as I turned in. So there is no way to stop and back into one of those diagonal parking spaces without holding up traffic, forcing traffic to go around you, blocking the bike lane, etc. And then once I backed in, I walked around to the tailgate and dropped it down, and now I am standing almost in the inner bike lane with my tailgate down pulling out a 5'8. Imagine all the longboards being pulled out that would reach clear across the inner bike lanes. I am certain someone is going to clothes line a cyclist with a longboard. I can't even fathom the thinking that went into this design, clearly an engineer that has never been there and knows nothing about the traffic, bike, and pedestrian patterns. Let alone taking a board off a car or out of the bak of a truck. Has to be the dumbest design I have seen yet on our local roads.
Exactly.

I can't imagine a traffic engineer designed it. Maybe a traffic engineer without a driver's license...

It's almost like they were told "Make this layout as dangerous as possible."

The entrance to the Swami's lot driving north looks like they planned to mirror the lineup...ready for close calls and direct hits...a left turn across
1 bike lane
1 double bike lane of two-way bike traffic
1 lane of auto traffic
1 lane of pedestrian traffic

o_O

Reactions: Senor Sopa

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
They did this all over downtown Culver City area years ago, IIRC they are taking them out. Mar Vista has em too. They just did the same thing in my neighborhood. Traffic is more fucked than ever, no more cyclists or bus riders than before. You cannot make LA a non-car city, it's not possible.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Exactly.

I can't imagine a traffic engineer designed it. Maybe a traffic engineer without a driver's license...

It's almost like they were told "Make this layout as dangerous as possible."

The entrance to the Swami's lot driving north looks like they planned to mirror the lineup...ready for close calls and direct hits...a left turn across
1 bike lane
1 double bike lane of two-way bike traffic
1 lane of auto traffic
1 lane of pedestrian traffic

o_O
Senor Sopa will know more about this than me as he is involved in Encinitas politics but I believe our ex mayor Cathy Blakespear's husband may have been the designer or a consultant on that wonderful mess.