The most powerful word

Captainn

Michael Peterson status
Jan 10, 2002
What is THE most powerful single word in America, in your opinion? I don't know if this would apply to every English speaking country.

Spray92109

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
San Diego, CA, USA
I think the most powerful single word is one that was made powerful in a well-intentioned but uninformed attempt to take its power away:<P>n-gger<P>Uninformed, I figure, because idealistic people tend not to understand psychology very well. Bummer, really.

Spray92109

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
San Diego, CA, USA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Random Guy:<BR><B>****</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I really don't ****ing think so. Every other ****ing word in some ****ing people's sentences is "****". That robs the ****ing word of all its once-supreme power to offend or shock the average ****ing American.<P>

Spray92109

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
San Diego, CA, USA
Perhaps one of the most interesting and colourful words in the english language is the word "****." It is the one magical word which by just its sound can describe pain, pleasure, hate and love. <P>"****" falls into many grammatical categories. It can be used as verb both transitive (John ****ed Mary) and intransitive (Mary was ****ed by John). It can be an active verb (John really gives a ****), or a passive verb (Mary really doesn't give a ****), or a noun (Mary is a fine ****). It can be used as an adjective (Mary is ****ing beautiful). It should be obvious now that there are not many words as versatile as "****." <P>Besides its sexual connotation, this lovely word can be used to describe many situations: <P><BR> Fraud: I got ****ed by my insurance agent. <BR> Dismay: Oh, **** it! <BR> Problem: I guess I'm ****ed now. <BR> Aggression: **** you. <BR> Passive: **** me. <BR> Confusion: What the ****? <BR> Difficulty: I can't understand this ****ing business. <BR> Despair: ****ed again. <BR> Philosophical: Who gives a ****? <BR> Religious: Holy ****. <BR> Incompetence: He's all ****ed up. <BR> Laziness: He just ****s about. <BR> Displeasure: What the **** is going on? <BR> Rebellion: **** off! <BR> Surprise: ****ing Incredible! <P>It can be used in descriptive anatomy - He's a ****ing *******. <P>It can be used to tell time - It's five ****ing thirty. <P>It can be used in business - How did I get this ****ing job? <P>It can be a prediction - Oh, will I get ****ed. <P>It can have maternal connotations - as in "Mother ****er." <P>It can be nautical - **** the Admiral. <P>It can be political - **** Reagan. <P>It can open the door to wonderful relationships - "let's ****." <P>It can be used to enhance the meaning of a word - as in Beauti****ingful, Ter****ingific or Abso****inglutely. <P>The mind is fairly boggled at the many many creative uses. How could anyone be offended when you say "****?" Use it in your daily speech! It adds to your prestige. <P>Today tell someone "**** You." <P> <A HREF="http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/88old/****.20.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/88old/****.20.html</A> <BR>

surfwordz

Miki Dora status
Aug 27, 2002
F-53
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Random Guy:<BR><B>****</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I`d have to say by far the F-word ...the way american television will show people dying and getting killed in very graphic ways, but we cant say sh!t or fu ck without paying for cable ...

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spray92109:<BR><B>I think the most powerful single word is one that was made powerful in a well-intentioned but uninformed attempt to take its power away:<P>n-gger<P>Uninformed, I figure, because idealistic people tend not to understand psychology very well. Bummer, really.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Didn't they have the Ethnic Studies requirement back when you graduated? I guess not, 'cause you would know that this is an example of 'turning ascription into affirmation' and is therefore positive for the Black [note: racialized, capitalized!] community as a whole. Or whatever. I'll forget all of it ten minutes after the final, when I go back to the coursework of my entirely unrelated major and the winter wonderland of Blacks.<BR>

shadebaldy

OTF status
VACATION<BR>no one pays attention when the hear **** its a normal everday occurrence sure at one time **** may have been a powerful word but *^4 is no longer powerful, its just monotonous, VACATION is a word many americans long for both those employed and at school its even better if it comes with the word PAID in front of it

Spray92109

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
San Diego, CA, USA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chee-to:<BR><B> <BR>Didn't they have the Ethnic Studies requirement back when you graduated? I guess not, 'cause you would know that this is an example of 'turning ascription into affirmation' and is therefore positive for the Black [note: racialized, capitalized!] community as a whole. Or whatever. I'll forget all of it ten minutes after the final, when I go back to the coursework of my entirely unrelated major and the winter wonderland of Blacks.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Actually, they didn't have this requirement. But I've read all about it.<P>You WERE right. That was my point.<P>When Mark Twain used the word in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn in the 1870s, he used it with clever irony to show that any notion that African-Americans were inferior was ridiculous. Whenever whites use the word in the book, they look stupid; when Jim does, it sounds ironic and sad.<P>But, over the years, people forgot Mark Twain; the word regained power.<P>During the 1950s and 1960s, the word was clearly used by racist whites. It sounded intentionally menacing, and was generally accompanied by implied or stated physical threat.<P>By the 1970s, it was no longer so menacing, and sounded plain stupid again, except in some cultural enclaves in the US.<P>Around 1990, it became clear that the phenomenon you described had happened, with the street poetry of rappers like NWA becoming important parts of popular culture. If there was anything menacing about their use of the word, it had been turned completely around.<P>But, around that time, the movement to restrict free speech on college campuses had taken hold, with "fighting words" rules, etc.<P>It was at this time that well-meaning white academics and others did much to claim the word again in the name of white racists. They made damned SURE that black culture couldn't just appropriate the word and rob it of its old position and power. And this had been happening, through the work of comedians, musicians, and others who threw the word back in white middle class America's face. They ALMOST won. And I think it's really sad that they were undermined, even partially.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RotterdamSickness:<BR><B><embed src="http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~wacko/download/f-word.wav" AUTOSTART="false"></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thank You RotterdamSickness! Most eloquently stated!!!
LMAO!<P><p>[This message has been edited by keenfish (edited 11-17-2002).]

Spray92109

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
San Diego, CA, USA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ping-Pong Bob:<BR><B>"If"<P>See Dennis Hopper's rant in Apocalypse Now.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>You called it.<BR>

marsha

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2001
New York City/Sarasota USA
Visit site
"The".<P>In one magnificent swoop of a word, you can turn an ordinary object into a specific one!<P>A surfer becomes...<BR>"The Surfer"!<P>"A girl" becomes<BR>"The Girl"!<P>"An object of no particular interest or curiosity" is now<BR>"The object of no particular interest or curiosity"!<P>Not to mention that "The" is also the most often used word in the English language! What a strong word!<P>