The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

Swallow Tail

Michael Peterson status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
The big brand target wetsuit market = Wavestorm types and people who treat their stuff like garbage.

Drive around any coastal area of CA that's heavily populated with under 30s and see how many wetsuits are laying over a railing drying in the sun.

A lot of those wetsuits stay there 24/7 for weeks.

There's no incentive for the big manufacturers to produce a really good product.
That sounds about right.

Anyone have recent issues experience w Hotline suits?
Had one decades ago that I loved.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Just read up on Hotline. Interesting story. There's Hotline Japan and Hotline USA. Both under the same roof it seems.

Hotline USA is not doing customs at the moment, however they will alter suits OTR which is not too bad. Not sure if they're still manufacturing in Santa Cruz.

Hotline Japan appears to be made in Japan.

This has been mentioned before - does anyone know WTF is with these baggy fit wetsuits I'm seeing AXXE and apparently Hotline Japan doing?

Clearly not all of their suits are cut this way.

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
Got an Isurus evade 4/3 CZ that I like, now that air temps are creeping up, thinking of picking up a zipless 2.2 shield fullsuit. I know a few of you have the 2.2 - from your experience, what is the water temp range can the 2.2 zipless handle? pros/cons? durability?

Mar 1, 2010
O'Neill Psychotech hooded 5/4 first impressions:
Bought this suit over the summer fearing supply chain issues and took it for a first surf today. Not a particularly cold day, not too much wind, not too big. 35 degrees out, 10-15 mph wind and mid 40's water temps and a bit of snow flurries with waist high surf.

I've been surfing in Xcel Drylocks for probably 15+ years. Was getting tired of the increasingly poor craftsmanship on them The new suit is definitely lighter and super comfy to paddle in but I have to say it's not nearly as warm as a Drylock. I got cold after about an hour and a half and even just walking down the beach to the break, I could tell it's just not as warm of a suit. The flexibility comes with a price.

Kinda disappointed for $500 (no deals on O'neils) , but still a winner for flex and ease of entry/exit. Just not the warmth I was hoping for. Will probably be my warmish winter day suit. Probably great with water temps in the high 40s and some sun out just not the freezing offshore nor'easter suit I was hoping for. Next time maybe a 6/5 from someone as the 5/4 O'Neill feels like a 4/3 Xcel. Glad I still have a relatively new Drylock in the closet. The seams leak a bit in the balls but it's still overall warmer in the upper body.
This is my experience with the oneill as well. just walking down to the water I'm already thinking I'm cold already! air temps in the teens and 20s cut through it.. I can still last a decent bit in the water, I just do my best to keep moving bc it is a super flexible comfy suit

Reactions: ZeeHawk

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Got an Isurus evade 4/3 CZ that I like, now that air temps are creeping up, thinking of picking up a zipless 2.2 shield fullsuit. I know a few of you have the 2.2 - from your experience, what is the water temp range can the 2.2 zipless handle? pros/cons? durability?
I wore my 2mil evade CZ from Sept to mid-Dec this fall in SoCal. so, I’d say upper 50s-60. I wore it with booties for a sunny afternoon surf last week and was fine. Love my 3 mil shield so much, I’ll get the 2mil shield zipfree for the spring. Nice to be able to wear thinner rubber and still be warm.

Reactions: Lowqi2

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I wear it down to 60- 62.

Reactions: Lowqi2