The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Queue Jimmy....

In the summer I tend towards wearing a top only and "toughing" it out. But in the shoulder and winter months I am all about comfort. I have no pride. If I'm cold on a January morning in south county, damn right I'm wearing a hood and booties. Whatever it takes to psych myself up to surf. But I'll wear trunks and top exclusively from June through October. Different strokes for different folks.

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
I finally found the Buell 5/4 in my size online and pulled the trigger. LT seems to fit very well. Initial impressions are that it looks like any of your other top of the line suits from Xcel, Oneill, etc. Will see how it goes in 6+ months. Glad to have a new winter suit after going through the previous two with a leaky drylock and a 4mm hyperflex.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
His little frail frame can't handle the cold, I've surfed with just a top and trunks in SD in November. Water probably mid 60's with air in the upper 60's low 70's mark. You become acclimated to the cold the more you're exposed, my theory is to wear as little rubber as possible without noticeably shivering or going numb.
I'm usually in a shorty until late November and can count on one hand the times I've worn a 4/3 in SD.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Casa, I probably started surfing before you were shitting your diapers - try and clown me all you want. I offered to paddle out with you and you declined. STFU . You know how I know you're a kook? Look at your post count. You're that clown finger-fVcking his phone at every opportunity.

Having said that, i have a few extra pounds and have always ran hot. I enjoy cool water and sometimes go into Thanksgiving weekend with trunks and a top. I'd rather be a little cold and not carrying the extra wetsuit weight, than be warm and carrying 5+ pounds of wet neoprene. YMMV.

I may even go Reunion 2 mil for a backup this Winter. They make toasty, custom suits. Not a bad-ass and not claiming sh!t

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I finally found the Buell 5/4 in my size online and pulled the trigger. LT seems to fit very well. Initial impressions are that it looks like any of your other top of the line suits from Xcel, Oneill, etc. Will see how it goes in 6+ months. Glad to have a new winter suit after going through the previous two with a leaky drylock and a 4mm hyperflex.
How tall are you?

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
6'1 and 190lbs. It's maybe the slightest bit long in the arms and legs but not enough to be an issue. Was worried the L would be tight everywhere else as I'm outside the weight range.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I'm 6'3" 182lbs. and the 5/4 Buell LT fits me pretty well. I could probably put on another few lbs. around the midsection and be fine but as far as the length and room in the shoulders it is good. Not the absolute warmest suit compared to a Drylock but it's so much nicer to paddle and move in and the fit is better for me. Really good flexibility and doesn't soak water and get super heavy like some suits. Definitely a fan, I'm on my 2nd one. When the water gets super cold I've been wearing an LT Flashbomb which is much warmer and way stiffer and less fun to paddle in.

I'm curious to try an LT Psychotech. I've always worn MT in Oneill suits but my last one felt too snug in the shoulders so I guess I'm finally too big for the MT size now.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
I'm 6'3" 182lbs. and the 5/4 Buell LT fits me pretty well. I could probably put on another few lbs. around the midsection and be fine but as far as the length and room in the shoulders it is good. Not the absolute warmest suit compared to a Drylock but it's so much nicer to paddle and move in and the fit is better for me. Really good flexibility and doesn't soak water and get super heavy like some suits. Definitely a fan, I'm on my 2nd one. When the water gets super cold I've been wearing an LT Flashbomb which is much warmer and way stiffer and less fun to paddle in.

I'm curious to try an LT Psychotech. I've always worn MT in Oneill suits but my last one felt too snug in the shoulders so I guess I'm finally too big for the MT size now.
Good to know, I've got a new flashbomb 4/3 that I found stiff compared to my hyperfreak/Feral. Looks like I'm going to be getting a Buell after labour day

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
How's the Buell compare to the Hyperfreak? 3 hundy for a 5mill is good.
My last Hyperfreak like two years ago was an MT so it was a lil snug but overall a nice suit for the money. They are not as warm as Psychotech and I did notice the lack of cuff tightening features. Probably a similar warmth level to the Buell. Buell might be more stretchy but that could be the fit difference of the MT vs LT for me.

Reactions: JDJ

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
6'3- 185ish
Had a LT 4/3 Mutant and a LT 5/4 Psychotech few years back.
Mutant felt longer then the PT. It was the older version right before they updated it.
LT had bit too much material under the armpits but I was thinner.
Been in MT since but likely will try a LT this year as I'm few lbs heavier.
I did grab a 4/3 Hyperfreak MT early last spring and no way I’d want it in a LT. Feel like the neck would flush too much.

Reactions: Mr Doof and Aruka

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
The ONeill Hyperfreak is money for Southern California. They also make variety of thickness, including 4.5-3.5.

Reactions: Aruka

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
The ONeill Hyperfreak is money for Southern California. They also make variety of thickness, including 4.5-3.5.
The comps are perfect with out liner and my 3mm comp is going on 4th year still holding up great but helps I wear my 2mm short sleeve full most of the year.

Reactions: JDJ

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Buell might be more stretchy but that could be the fit difference of the MT vs LT for me.
Ah OK. I have found the Hyperfreak to be the most buttery flexible suit I've ever had and warm enough. Just hasn't held up as well as the Psychotech's I've had. Gonna try on a Buell and also a DaKine at some point before Black Friday. Shops seems pretty stocked up again for the most part, several flooded with the Buell's. Why fix it if its broke, right? Maybe save a few bucks and try something new is what I'm thinking.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Ah OK. I have found the Hyperfreak to be the most buttery flexible suit I've ever had and warm enough. Just hasn't held up as well as the Psychotech's I've had. Gonna try on a Buell and also a DaKine at some point before Black Friday. Shops seems pretty stocked up again for the most part, several flooded with the Buell's. Why fix it if its broke, right? Maybe save a few bucks and try something new is what I'm thinking.
Yeah even though I've had both suits I feel like the size difference means it isn't an apples to apples comparison. Technoblubber is nice stuff.

I don't see the Buell lasting any longer than any of the Oneills but then again nothing lasts me more than a year anyways. I actually had a lot of issues with the Psychotech outer seam sealant stuff cracking after 9 months or so and it became hard to justify spending the high price.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I treated myself to a new Adelio 4/3 integrated hood, Chippa Wilson Sketchy Tank designer wetsuit. Japanese limestone neoprene. What I really want is a 5/4, but this was a rare opportunity to get something that fits me.

I intended to wait a few months for the water to warm up, but I couldn't resist trying it and its had two arvo surfs. What a difference a new wetty makes! Something that fits seems to help too. Not much difference in warmth betweeen my 5.5 mm Xcel comp and 5/4 Xcel Drylock, but considerably lighter.
... .
My Adelio has been my arvo surf suit for the last 6 weeks. No leaks, still warm. Neoprene on elbows already collapsing from my duckdiving. This is quicker than what I would expect and I attribute it to the lightweight stretchy neoprene. It doesn't affect overall warmth and I remain completely happy with it.

It was an online purchase from S Aus and Adelio sent me an email titled "Your opinion matters to Adelio" soliciting a review. I wrote to them "why don't you do your 5/4 hooded range in XS, small people get colder than big people". No response.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
My Adelio has been my arvo surf suit for the last 6 weeks. No leaks, still warm. Neoprene on elbows already collapsing from my duckdiving. This is quicker than what I would expect and I attribute it to the lightweight stretchy neoprene. It doesn't affect overall warmth and I remain completely happy with it.

It was an online purchase from S Aus and Adelio sent me an email titled "Your opinion matters to Adelio" soliciting a review. I wrote to them "why don't you do your 5/4 hooded range in XS, small people get colder than big people". No response.
I like adelio's wetties too - good fit for smaller dudes like us.

Reactions: Mr J