the french language

pastel

OTF status
Nov 23, 2022
to me it sounds like someone puking while trying to ask where more beer is. i have heard they say it's a beautiful language. is this french they are talking about?? it's awful and it sounds like sh!t, literally, like someone struggling to take a sh!t.

• Love
Reactions: john4surf

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
I've been yelled at in French, and German.

When it's in German you believe the threat.
I still vividly remember my Opa torching me for running around his house with no shoes on.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
We were on a hike yesterday and heard a group of people speaking French. They were kind of loud. It sounded somehow different. I was thinking they must be from some distinct region. They spoke loud and the sound was “harder” then the French I’ve heard. On our way back we passed them again. This time my wife talked with them and found out they were from Belgium.

I don’t mind French. I much prefer the sound of Italian or Spanish (especially from Spain). Not crazy about Portuguese, but that kind of depends on who’s speaking it. I don’t like the sound of Chinese at all. Too nasal.

Accents not languages but funny stuff.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: pastel

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
My memory is not up to par now but I sort of remember in the early 50s hearing, perhaps from my parents that French was a ‘universal language.’ We lived in Verdun (location of the Maginot Line and, more combined German/allies death’s (WWI) than any other battlefield in recorded history. I learned some French from my neighbors. I think I enjoyed France as a pre-teen.

Reactions: pastel

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
to me it sounds like someone puking while trying to ask where more beer is. i have heard they say it's a beautiful language. is this french they are talking about?? it's awful and it sounds like sh!t, literally, like someone struggling to take a sh!t.
You need to clean the wax out of your ears.

Or maybe you are thinking Dutch?

I'm always amazes me that people can't distinguish languages.

pastel

OTF status
Nov 23, 2022
You need to clean the wax out of your ears.

Or maybe you are thinking Dutch?

I'm always amazes me that people can't distinguish languages.
No. i have this old french couple who lives near and they constantly loudly blab (argue?) in french outside on their porch. they blast their tv which only plays french channels. lots of ehhh's and uhhh's rapid fire like diahrea and goes and goes without pause.

(i might have posted that here to vent my frustration with their noise, so i can still smile and say bonjour when i walk by them) :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Belgian and Swiss french don't sound as melodic as French french.

Not to mention they could be Canadians. Or from Djibouti. :roflmao:

Portugal portuguese sounds terrible to me, yet Brazilian portuguese is one of the most pleasant sounding and prettiest singing languages. @brukuns will back me up on this. :p

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Beaucoup merdi mon ami. How’s that for some frenchie!

I can comprende enough to get by reading an instruction manual for something I have an idea of how it works but that’s about it. Same for Italiano.

• Love
Reactions: john4surf