*** Official Fin Thread ***

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC
sorry if this was answered anywhere earlier, but any recommendations for a twin template between a true upright twin and a traditional keel? like a mini or smaller keel template for futures please...thanks!

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
sorry if this was answered anywhere earlier, but any recommendations for a twin template between a true upright twin and a traditional keel? like a mini or smaller keel template for futures please...thanks!
True Ames Lovelace Piggyback Keel. Still feels like a keel but less tracky than most. Fun and loose, maybe too loose in bigger waves for my twin fish. When they release, they really let go and are hard to recover.

Captain Fin Christenson Twin. More towards the Twin than the Keel side of things. Not a huge fin but set back in the box and with a lil rake so nice hold and turns better than a keel. Good predictable release.

Surf Squared Keels. Big fin, tons of drive but with a nice cutaway almost similar to a thruster trailing edge. Very unique fin with keel drive and hold but much more predictable release out the top. By far my favorite keel fin in my Stamps fishes.

Still sussing out the Album Fascination Twin's but first impressions are good.

Reactions: donger

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC
thanks Aruka! I've got he lovelace piggy backs in my stamps TKF already, but will try to track down those surf squared keels, those sound like they might be good

Reactions: Aruka

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC
Running EN twins right now, but wanting that more drawn out cruisy keel feeling...for my new super chunksuperchunk.jpg

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Yeah those EN are good ones but definitely favor a more active approach depending on the board. Can't say I have really clicked with them compared to the TA or Drab twins for whatever reason though. Might just need more sessions.

Another one to check out is the Futures Al Merrick Keel. They are big but I like the shape, they look like they could still rip a turn.

Reactions: donger

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
any of you tried the aircore?
I was running an AM large set in my 5'8 Varial CI Neck Beard 2 to try to offset some unexpected added weight from a Pro-Lite Josh Kerr 5-piece pad. The fins are light and stiff, but I'm not convinced anyone would be able to tell the difference between the Aircores and FCS' PC in the same template in the waves I surf most days (waist high South Bay beachbreak). I ended up finding my magic combo (thanks to this community) which are MF large fronts and a KA medium rear. They're slightly heavier than the Aircores but not that big of a deal. I was pretty surprised how flipping heavy the Pro-Lite pad was/seemed compared to the Creatures' pads (Ethan Ewing and Griffin Colapinto) I've been using. I really like the texture/feel of the pad though.

Reactions: Waterlogged05

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I think you’re crazy. Ask futures to be sure.

When I asked them I thought I was told hatchet was old set, now replaced with F4, that’s it. No in between.
Hey SD_101, looks like you are correct about the Solus set. Old set & new set uses the same trailer. Futures finally got back to me with this.

"So when we developed the Solus set with a different center fin than the hatchet we used an F4 center fin in its place. The dimensions that you saw on our site are for that center fin (not the hatchet). The dimensions that you pulled off the other website are the correct dimensions for the Hatchet center fin and must have been listed on the website in a confusing way."

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
Does anyone when the new futures fins are supposed to be released? I emailed futures, but haven't heard back

I've seen some clips on Instagram about new fins from Pyzel, Lost, DHD, and new Jordy fins. I vaguely remember a John John clip where he was talking about a new fin that fell between the JJF medium and large templates

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
7'6 x 19 1/2 x 2 7/8 gun. Futures. Currently running Pyzel Med fronts, 3.75 rears.

Any other suggestions?

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Aruka

Notice how all big wave boards templates reduce area going to the tail in a smooth calculated design

Same needed for Fins in these ultra high speed and pressure Huge waves

Area reducing smoothly and calculated to the tip .

The best Guns of the 70's had these designs

You don't want this style of fin in large surf - single or multi fin

Reactions: Aardwolf

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
70's Brewer shaped for my friend John Van Ornum

Fin design was Very important then being there was only 1 most of the time .

Constant area release like the surfboards template enhancing speed and control :

It was fun when Brian Bills asked why myself , Jack Revees and RB had no recurve in our fin templates - I felt honored ;-)

Jan 18, 2014
Hi Greg,

For boxes closer to the stringer (like in the picture) would you still use a flat foil for a quad? If so what adjustments would you make?

Thanks!

2x4-rp-fcs-btm.png