The Craigslist Thread

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I see a new fishbeard for sale at least once a week if not more
Saw a guy this last winter, someone i’ve “surfed with“ countless times over the years but have never actually met (so I know his skill level) at a nearby point break. He‘s riding it backside, really struggling.

Didn’t seem happy with it at all.

FWIW, when I saw the FB I thought it would be perfect for this particular point. Yes the guy was on his back hand but he is a guy that has always been in the mix of the “this guy can surf” rotation. In other words if he’s a bit behind a long section you give him the benefit of the doubt and don’t drop in.

These boards look pretty sweet but I’ve yet to see a advanced-but-not-pro-level surfer ride one all that well.

Me thinks if people would give them more time….

Reactions: i_ride_spinnaz

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Saw a guy this last winter, someone i’ve “surfed with“ countless times over the years but have never actually met (so I know his skill level) at a nearby point break. He‘s riding it backside, really struggling.

Didn’t seem happy with it at all.

FWIW, when I saw the FB I thought it would be perfect for this particular point. Yes the guy was on his back hand but he is a guy that has always been in the mix of the “this guy can surf” rotation. In other words if he’s a bit behind a long section you give him the benefit of the doubt and don’t drop in.

These boards look pretty sweet but I’ve yet to see a advanced-but-not-pro-level surfer ride one all that well.

Me thinks if people would give them more time….
Surfed with a guy in baja who had 2 fishbeards as his only boards. He claimed to love them but watching him surf i didnt get it. I could tell he was a decent surfer but it looked like he was trying to ride them as a thruster and his turns were whack.

• Haha
Reactions: oeste858 and racer1

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Surfed with a guy in baja who had 2 fishbeards as his only boards. He claimed to love them but watching him surf i didnt get it. I could tell he was a decent surfer but it looked like he was trying to ride them as a thruster and his turns were whack.
Sometimes people cling to the idea of a board and ignore reality of it.

I did this with the Fred Rubble. I really wanted to like it. So much so that I rode it until it was falling apart and yet it never clicked. Got on a different HPSB and immediately realized i wasted a whole season on the Rubble.
These days a board gets one or two sessions and I either keep it or dump it.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
There’s a guy at my local who surfs really well, not flashy, super solid. He got a FB right when it came out, but after a month or two he was back on his other fish and I haven‘t seen the FB since. He looked okay on it but it definitely didn’t look as effortless as he usually does.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
There’s a guy at my local who surfs really well, not flashy, super solid. He got a FB right when it came out, but after a month or two he was back on his other fish and I haven‘t seen the FB since. He looked okay on it but it definitely didn’t look as effortless as he usually does.
I haven’t ridden one but judging by looks and feels (holding them) I came away with the following…

Fins are too far forward (would be interested to see how the Vulcan trapezoid keels or Hobie keels would work).

It’s trying to be two boards in one that are in conflict with each other.

Fish guys will surf better on a fish snd HPSB guys will surf better on thrusters.

This board might be a great board (and as seen in promos when surfed properly it is) for what it is but it’s a shitty fish and a shitty HPSB and there are a multitude of “performance twins” that work better.

My guess is that the Twin Pin will hit the target better (haven’t seen one yet though).

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I'll take famous drinkers of Steel Reserve for $400 Alex.
When I worked at a liquor store, we had a regular we called "Same Ol'" because when you said, "Hi, how's it goin'" as he stumbled in he would always growl back "Saaaame OOOLLL". The length and shakiness of the response indicated how many 211's he had consumed, or how bad his neuro muscular disorder was flaring up. He wasn't homeless per se. A family in Carlsbad allowed him to stay in a little indoor/outdoor zone of their rental near the park and he would chase off anyone who was creeping around. Long story short - He died one night. THe manager of the liquor store shaped a can of Steel Reserve into a flower for him.