The Coming Shutdown

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Surfdog said:
Looks like Trump plagiarized this guys T-shirt in his SOTU speech.

The guy spending $millions on "Need to Impeach". :laughingpointing:

Looks to be dissing the DREAMERS too?

Or are these a different kind of "dreamer"? :monkey:

Did he get any you guys money yet?
He must have presidential dreams himself. I can't imagine a bigger waste of money.

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
It would be a shame to lose the DACA investment, especially over a wall that would prevent U.S. citizens from accessing Rio Bravo. Are these throw-away resources?

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
test_article said:
It would be a shame to lose the DACA investment, especially over a wall that would prevent U.S. citizens from accessing Rio Bravo. Are these throw-away resources?
What’s this investment you speak of?

Do we get an equity stake in DACA peeps?

Isn’t that a no-no (13th amendment)?

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
test_article said:
GDaddy said:
manbearpig said:
BillyOcean said:
Dems prioritize noncitizens over citizens

If they want to shut down the govt again over this it will only damage them further
Wrong.

This lies all on trump. It was his decision to try and alter the DACA program, which was already in motion. That obviously isn’t going well for him and his ambiguity over the issue and continuing to kick it down the road is making it worse
Whatever actually is or isn't, it's public perception that drives politics, and the polling numbers show overwhelming opposition to Dems shutting down government as a means of getting a clean DACA.

Harvard-Harris poll, 01/2018
The Dems have the quandary of losing base vs. losing independents/moderates, but your poll generally bashes Republicans, especially Donald.
The poll is the poll. It's as much yours as mine.

If the GOP and/or Trump can't put together a program that appeals to enough of the center to win then they don't deserve to win. You made the comment before about the poll showing people being stupid. I don't really think that's relevant to a win-lose discussion. The weather is the weather. You can either call the weather stupid for raining or you can carry an umbrella - either way the weather will still be the weather.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I don't get why the Left doesn't try to get voters from the middle.

They already got the gays and the non whites.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Most political campaigning is aimed at normal people in the middle, not the fanatics at either end who are emotionally involved. Ilking aside, neither Hillary nor Trump were at the political extremes.

Apart from the local fortress districts a candidate can't win with just their base. They also can't win by campaigning as a wonk.