The California Channel Islands

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Was talking to the mighty Duffy about the best way to explore some more of the Channel Islands since he's lived in Santa Barbara his whole life, has put in plenty of time, and even goes out there for work sometimes.

Never been to any of them, expect Catalina, where we've done a full Jeep tour of the interior but never been dropped off to surf Shark Harbor or Ben Weston.

Santa Cruz Island seems like it should be the next mission. Plan would be to paddleboard the caves, snorkel, and land on some beaches. I cant see a public charter being that great, so am looking for a private boat where we could set our own itinerary with a small group, bring boards, our own food, drinks, etc. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Going to look into this option...

Duffy has used this one and said it's good...

Not really interested in camping, but a novelty surf would be cool. It still surprises me that there aren't any reliable surf spots on any of these SW catchers mitts.

Skunk Point on Santa Rosa is interesting, but I know there are other spots that work on a S, SW or W.

Recent movie of some dude calling others off at Santa Cruz Island. lol. Kind of crowded too.

Share your experiences if you care to. Somehow I wouldn't consider this "blowing up spots". :LOL:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
There’s no real surf spots out there. Couple of fickle novelty waves. Waste of time.

Skunk point is a mush burger located in one of the most shark infested areas on the planet.

Good diving and fishing out there though. Anacapa is best bang for you buck for diving.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Nothing special there.

But for a a killer right point wave that throws, check out Ledbetter Point or even Devereaux Beach, but don't tell anyone how you heard about them. A gift to the erBB.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Okay so we have video evidence that Santa Cruz island is crowded, which is completely intuitive.

Therefore....

San Miguel Island is packed with locals, day trippers, and campers?
Santa Rosa Island is Kento complaining about the paddle out?
Anacapa has sweatshop labor cranking out Chano Aislans Surboars?
San Nicolas Island has snow, reindeer, elves, and presents?
Santa Barbara Island is beautiful, expensive, and usually flat?
Santa Catalina Island has LA milfs booz cruising?
San Clemente Island is overrun with homeschoolers and trucker hat moms on e-bikes?

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

KPindaOC

OTF status
Nov 25, 2012
I’ve backpacked Santa Rosa a few times and actually scored a backcountry spot on the SW part of the island the last time. Really sucky 13 mile hike from the pier because you have to pack in all your water. Three days of water and a surfboard on my pack ended up being probably 60+ pounds. Lucky to have a fairly decent sized S swell during our trip because you normally have to book these spots (camping + Island Packers ferry) a few months in advance. Spot was crumbly 4-5ft right hander that broke over a reef on a shelf with some kelp around. Only felt comfortable surfing it for those. Was still fairly sharky feeling.

Wouldn’t backpack out there to surf specifically, but it was nice to handline rockfish from shore tide pools to cook up for dinner. The desolation was nice but no shade kinda sucked because it was hot af.

I’m sure there are some cool sailing charter operations out there that do surf/dive/fish explorations but I don’t know them off the top of my head.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Stayed on santa cruz for 4 days during college doing an internship. place is incredible. wish my boat could sleep more comfortably or else I'd be up there stat. Wish I had more to offer but just thought I'd say that's it's more than worth it to get out to one of those spots just because.

and I know it's 2023 but still... to talk about surfing. just don't

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Been out there 3 times. Highlight was Yellowbanks on Hurricane Howard swell in 2004. And Tal... Sh.... on a 2xoh bombing swell.