The Best Podcasts?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
If Books Could Kill. Two guys basically tackle "airport books," which they say is the "super-spreader event of American stupidity."
Wut? How else am I supposed to learn how to effectively fight 5 dudes at once or how covert ops and spies actually work? :unsure:

In all seriousness, as dumb as those books can be, I disagree with it being a spreader of stupidity. There is a strong self selection bias at work that actually favors people who actually read and fly frequently, likely for work, which selects for people with at least an average IQ that is higher than the norm IMO

• Haha
Reactions: $kully

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Wut? How else am I supposed to learn how to effectively fight 5 dudes at once or how covert ops and spies actually work? :unsure:

In all seriousness, as dumb as those books can be, I disagree with it being a spreader of stupidity. There is a strong self selection bias at work that actually favors people who actually read and fly frequently, likely for work, which selects for people with at least an average IQ that is higher than the norm IMO
That's all fine, *if* true. What these guys are saying is the information in the books is mostly flat out wrong and/or poorly reasoned. So read *those books* and get stupid.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
That's all fine, *if* true. What these guys are saying is the information in the books is mostly flat out wrong and/or poorly reasoned. So read *those books* and get stupid.
Mostly agree. One of the authors of a popular series I like was on Rogan a few weeks back. He writes about a black ops guy. Turns out the author was an insurance salesman before becoming an author and has no military or intelligence experience whatsoever :roflmao: In that sense I agree.

Where I disagree is that the demographic who purchases those books tends be smarter than average because they are people with professional jobs who need an escape from technical and business shop talk all the time, in addition to being people who actually read regularly in the first place.

• Haha
Reactions: $kully

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
If you have a TSJ subscription, can get to some Jamie Brisick podcasts, including guests Laird Hamilton and Dave Parmenter.

Also I liked the Joe Rogan podcast with Naval Ravikant (#1309; 2019). Things were different back then.
No subscription needed. Jamie Brisick has a voice that belongs on NPR. He should try to be somewhere between where he is currently and the vibe on Late Night With Chocky. The best TSJ episode is the one with Barton Lynch.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Mostly agree. One of the authors of a popular series I like was on Rogan a few weeks back. He writes about a black ops guy. Turns out the author was an insurance salesman before becoming an author and has no military or intelligence experience whatsoever :roflmao: In that sense I agree.

Where I disagree is that the demographic who purchases those books tends be smarter than average because they are people with professional jobs who need an escape from technical and business shop talk all the time, in addition to being people who actually read regularly in the first place.
Assuming you are right, still, smarter than average isn't saying much. And if the readers of such books believe what they read in them, and spread the information therein, then the podcasters are correct, while being hyperbolic to some degree.

But why don't you just admit you buy these books? :ROFLMAO:

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Odd Lots if you would like to know how the economy actually works.

Philosophize This

Revolutions is my favorite history podcast

Listen to music for entertainment, if you are going to listen to people talk, try not to let them make you dumber.

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
Cleared Hot
Endless Endeavor
Jamie Brisick
Jocko
David Lee Scales
The fucking classic Aussies on Ain't That Swell!
Late Drop with Jamie Mitchell

And a bunch of firefighting podcasts that no one here would give a sh!t about but me, except maybe ICU and Iceman.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Assuming you are right, still, smarter than average isn't saying much. And if the readers of such books believe what they read in them, and spread the information therein, then the podcasters are correct, while being hyperbolic to some degree.
I dunno. People who read that stuff do so because it's an escape. Just like watching actions movies- if they were believable they'd be boring. For example with Jack Reacher, I don't think too many people believe that if you were to hitch hike and take Greyhounds to random towns around the US that you would find yourself embroiled in bizarre mysteries and conspiracies. Seems like some kind of luck.

But why don't you just admit you buy these books? :ROFLMAO:
Pretty sure I implied that already :roflmao:

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
I dunno. People who read that stuff do so because it's an escape. Just like watching actions movies- if they were believable they'd be boring. For example with Jack Reacher, I don't think too many people believe that if you were to hitch hike and take Greyhounds to random towns around the US that you would find yourself embroiled in bizarre mysteries and conspiracies. Seems like some kind of luck.
Jack Reacher is fiction. Big difference, IMO. Lots of people believe what Gladwell writes is true.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Jack Reacher is fiction. Big difference, IMO. Lots of people believe what Gladwell writes is true.
I thought that’s what we were talking about :unsure: When I read “airport books” I was thinking of those fiction paperbacks that you can buy at every newsstand.

I’ve never read Gladwell (assuming you mean Malcolm) and don’t read much nonfiction. I’ve heard him on a few podcasts and I think he’s a bore.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
I thought that’s what we were talking about :unsure: When I read “airport books” I was thinking of those fiction paperbacks that you can buy at every newsstand.

I’ve never read Gladwell (assuming you mean Malcolm) and don’t read much nonfiction. I’ve heard him on a few podcasts and I think he’s a bore.
Oh, ha. The podcast is about the nonfiction books found in airports. I realize I didn't state that explicitly.

Last edited:

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I watched the episode with Pyzel and this one with John is epic. I need to confess I’m a homer and know some of the details they are talking about which helps in visualizing the stories. I remember them getting tutors to go on trips. They were Alex’s skater chick friends and hot. Teenage boys and twenty-thirty something hotties on a boat…..haha.