The B@stards finally got me!

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Sting ray - right into my heel .... first time for everything. Hopped off my board after a wave - was pretty far inside - wham got hit. Came in - didn't think it was too bad .... decided to drive home before soaking in hot water - mistake. About half-way (10 minute drive) the pain started ... new found respect.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
We have them when the water temperature changes around Easter. Thick. Most people get stung within a couple of meters of shore. Valium and Flor de Caña in liberal doses. Then have it thoroughly cleaned out.

Reactions: flyinraptr

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Have had a lot of close calls - landed on the back of one once. A couple weeks ago had a large one - maybe 4' wingspan swim directly in my path. I think this one had to be relatively small and fortunately hit me on the heel. Ended up squeezing a small piece of the barb out but otherwise no significant damage. Amazing how quickly the hot water relieves the pain from the venom. Normally - don't see a lot of them til January when the water temps starts to cool off. Stuck my foot in a pot of hot water as soon as i got home ... a cold cerveza and a small toke did the trick. Should be ready to go for tomorrow!

Reactions: Aruka and mundus