The AMAZING Race!... (yeah TV)

acqua.marina

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 10, 2002
Sonoma Coast, Nor Cal
Anybody watch it? <BR>I'll admit it, this show is my ONLY regular tube time <BR>...yeah, besides in the water
<P>So, it's a reality show, yes, but it's teams compete with their communication skills, physical endurance and some luck. The show visits the most intensely beautiful &/or interesting locations i've ever seen on TV, (next to some obscure National Geo. specials). The season opener starts with 11 teams made up of 2 people each (they are siblings, friends, lovers...etc.).<BR>The teams are sent all around the world (with a cameraman following) to complete various tasks... selling snails in a Middle Eastern marketplace; washing sacred painted elephants in a river in India; delivering barrels of aged port to cafes in Portugal; drinking a brew from an African Tribal Witchdoctor after delivering a gift... and a few thriller type tasks too like jumping out of airplanes or repelling off a cliff to a beach 300 feet below. The thriller stuff is the fastest way from point A to B, but there is always a slower, safer choice for those who just can’t deal. They have to do the tasks correctly, and they often have to take instruction from locals.<P>You get the picture. The teams (all American) have to deal with language/customs barriers and many situations that are not always comfortable for them - and this is why i love this show. It’s humbling. It shows Americans abroad at their best (and worst). For those used to having their own way, it can be terrifying. As a viewer, you find yourself really cheering for the most gracious teams, and loving it when the *******s get spanked. Every week, the team that shows up last to the checkpoint gets axed. Eventually the last team left wins ONE MILLION DOLLARS !!!<BR>(in caps as Dr. Evil would prefer
)<P>So last season i decided i wanted to go on this show. I sent for the application. What they need from hopeful contestents is intense, (medical releases, a video, a passport and lots and lots of forms...) <BR>My teammate and i were not ready to commit to a month of travel... this year i really wanna try - really not for the money (it's pretty darn hard to win this game) but because the places they have sent those teams have blown my mind, and i would really like the experience... <P>Anyway, was wondering if any of you are watching this show. As surfers are pretty adventerous, it might be just up your alley. Tonight is a 2 hour episode (usually it's 1 hour). They are down to 6 or 7 teams now. <BR>(2 bros one is straight, one is gay; 2 black NY firemen; a set of goodlooking twins; a couple of young hetro couples; one older married couple - the hubby is sooo bigmouth Type A, i thought they would be gone by now!) <BR>Starts at 8 tonight...

Who's Your Daddy

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
Carlsbad, California
Visit site
...slowly raising his hand!<P>AM, I too watch this show as one of a few TV indulgences. Agreed, the locations are pretty epic, despite the fact that they haven't been anywhere with surf yet! My buddy and I were going to apply for this last one but couldn't get our act together in time...stay tuned, maybe one day WYD will be traveling on their dime! I'll have to get a SURFERMAG BB t-shirt made for the trip! lol<P>-Out!

Surfchaser

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 16, 2002
Calistralia
Visit site
This is too funny! I worked on the first 2 years as one of 11 "running" cameraman, and, I actually enjoyed watching the show even after all the nightmarish circumstances we were put through!!<P>In a nutshell: the job sucked!! <P>Imagine living with 40-60lbs of gear on your back, including tapestock, batteries and back-up cables, IN ADDITION TO your very limited clothing supply for all conditions to be encountered. My soundman & I carried GPS & Mini Comsat Phones, all travel insurance for the 4 of us, and visas for all the countries we were going to visit, and then some (to throw off the contestants). It blew, and blew hard!! Not to mention half the time we slept on trains or buses or not-at-all!!<P>The show is fun to watch, but at the end of season 2, I told them to lose my phone number permanantly!<P> - SC<P>PS - Nothing like chasing a couple of lost people through Zimbabwe with a case of amoebic disentary!

SDgirl

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 15, 2002
San Diego, CA USA
yeah I do to. Tonight there is a conflict though!! The finale of the Bachelor. Oh what to do?(yea could watch one and tape the other, but I actually need to tape both and only have one VCR) Ohhh and then there is the Victoria's Secret thing (women walking around with hardly any clothes on).<BR>I think the Amazing Race an interesting study in people under pressure and how they cope and deal with language, money, maps, and each other. The old couple are hilarious. He is such an a-hole (but my boyfriend says she is just as bad, go figure
Did you see him when they reached that castle in Scotland. He shook the hand of this really burly old guy in a kilt and said "beam me up scotty". Ugh I just cringed for America at that point. He was redeemed though (in my eyes) by fixing his own damb car... though he was the one who put gasoline instead of diesel in it *dohhh*! Funny though because the other teams spent sooo much time in the gas stations and he just dug in and did it on the roadside. Yankee ingenuity. Yes, I love that show.

bandini

Michael Peterson status
Jan 22, 2002
SF
Visit site
Sh!t, glad there are 2 more embarassed fans. I really like this show. This and Soprano's (why we got cable) are the only 2 things I watch like clockwork.<P>I think I want the brothers (not the twins) to take it. I'm so psyched the Zoolander twins are still on. I thought their run was over when they asked the Mexican cab driver to hold their huge bags, they'll "be right back". I thought they'd be robbed for sure.<P>I haven't seen it in the last few weeks, but sounds like a couple of the couples have missed out. <P>That scene with the ugly older American fills his car with unleaded instead of diesel? Ugh, I HATE THAT GUY.<P>Thanks Acqua, WYD for making me feel better. Maybe my team will somehow race yours next season. Now if someone just started a Soprano's thread.....

Jaydubz

OTF status
Jan 29, 2002
Laurel Canyon, CA
Visit site
Yeah, Acqua!!! Good luck ~ my assistant and her husband are tryin' to get on next season as well...<P>I like the fast pace of "TAR" ~ it's definitely got the "Bruckheimer Touch" production-wise. No real villians this season (other than crusty Ian)...I'm rooting for Jill/John Vito, they seem to be having the most fun with it.<P>Best "TAR" moment? When the attorneys kicked ass on Wil/Tara in the last few moments of the race last season!

acqua.marina

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 10, 2002
Sonoma Coast, Nor Cal
LOL @ all of us!<P>WYD - keep me in mind if your partner flakes... i'll do the same with you.
<P>Surfchaser... that’s amazing alright! <BR>Great description!... Wow! <BR>That experience should look great on your resumé! I’m gonna have to get very GI-Jane like here soon...YIKES!... maybe start sand running like the masochistic GWS was not too long ago. <P>SDgirl - no contest! You can get your lingerie fix at any mall!
<P>Bandini - ha-ha!!! I thought for sure those Doublemint twins were cooked when they made that dumb move in Mexico. LOL, i should have known you’d like this show. Don’t forget it’s @ 8 tonight!

SDgirl

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 15, 2002
San Diego, CA USA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jaydubz:<BR><B>Yeah, Acqua!!! Good luck ~ my assistant and her husband are tryin' to get on next season as well...<P>I like the fast pace of "TAR" ~ it's definitely got the "Bruckheimer Touch" production-wise. No real villians this season (other than crusty Ian)...I'm rooting for Jill/John Vito, they seem to be having the most fun with it.<P>Best "TAR" moment? When the attorneys kicked ass on Wil/Tara in the last few moments of the race last season! </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Tara the weezmatic. No wonder she was so thin, speed freak.<BR>Yeah yeah, Ian that's who it is. I agree, he is really annoying but makes for good TV. I don't like the wonder twins, sometimes people are just too good looking, ya know. John Vito and Jill... she's a cutie!<BR>The brothers are really the funniest to watch. <BR>Since we are on a TV watching confessional, And predictions on Survivor?? I think Brian might just win
<P>oh and one more thing: Helene!!

Surfchaser

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 16, 2002
Calistralia
Visit site
Will & Tara weren't nearly as despised by the camera crews as were The Snakes, err.... Lawyers. Will tried to pick a fight with another soundguy at a particular border crossing, and as you can imagine, because we all hated him, we rolled cameras from every angle, all the while cheering on the very burly soundguy. But the Lawyers ran us ragged, and had zero interaction with us. No fun, while having no fun!<P>I'm telling you, the out-takes would be The Amazing part of the whole show!! You just cannot imagine the sh1t we saw while rolling camera!<P> - SC<P>PS - a little insider obviousness....1st season's girls from Texas were dumb as gum! And 2nd seasons Tara had a nice "naked" moment on camera! Shh... you didn't hear it from Surfchaser! LOL

acqua.marina

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 10, 2002
Sonoma Coast, Nor Cal
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SDgirl:<BR><B><BR>I think the Amazing Race an interesting study in people under pressure and how they cope and deal with language, money, maps, and each other. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>SDgirl, so true!<BR>...and Tara and Will, wow - that ending was epic - the way she just couldn’t make it there at the end - and oh the agony of Wil’s defeat... especially to those 2 good natured baked beans. Wonder what T & W are up to now? <BR>re: Survivor - i just couldn’t hang with 2 nights of TV in a row... so TAR won out. <P>Jaydubz - thanks! by putting it here, it's kinda like saying yeah... come hell or high water, i'm on it! Never heard it refered to as TAR - that really fits.<BR>

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
i have to admit i like the show too. its cool to see people runnin through parts of the world i would like to see. i would actually like to do a race like that, what an experience that would be. i speak 3 languages which would help.<P>enjoy tonights episode....<P>surfdad

SDgirl

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 15, 2002
San Diego, CA USA
"re: Survivor - i just couldn’t hang with 2 nights of TV in a row... so TAR won out." <P>Yeah but I am a survivor fan from... ohhh I guess the second season. It's really big at work too so if I didn't keep up I wouldn't be able to hang. Peer pressure. It's so damb dark so damb early anymore anyway.

Who's Your Daddy

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
Carlsbad, California
Visit site
Gotta love the inside scoop! Good onya Surfchaser! Not to make myself look like more of a fool, but Team Guido took the cake so far out of all the seasons! Those two....man, I just wanted them to lose every week! And let's not even get into their dog! SC, any good Guido moments? lol<P>AM....that might be a good angle for the show, two internet BB friends who have never met prior to the race! lmao I'm not sure my wife would approve, but it might make for some interesting television. I can see it now:<P>Episode #1:<P>WYD - "Sooooo...you're Aqua Marina? Funny, I didn't think you'd be this hot!" <chuckles><P>AM - "Daddy? Yeah baby...let's rock this show!"<P>Classic.<BR>-Out!<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Who's Your Daddy (edited 11-20-2002).]

Jaydubz

OTF status
Jan 29, 2002
Laurel Canyon, CA
Visit site
SDGirl ~ My "S5" office pool money's on Brian...but I'm sure the "video from home" last week (with the caddy in the garage, etc.) probably didn't help him!<P>Remember: "TAR" is on EARLY tonight at 8:00 PM!

SDgirl

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 15, 2002
San Diego, CA USA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jaydubz:<BR><B>SDGirl ~ My "S5" office pool money's on Brian...but I'm sure the "video from home" last week (with the caddy in the garage, etc.) probably didn't help him!<P>Remember: "TAR" is on EARLY tonight at 8:00 PM!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Don't think he really wanted to win that one, he seems to like to keep the low profile goin'<BR>Who goes on that show really destitute anyway?? I think that is dumb logic. No one needs a million dollars. <BR>

acqua.marina

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 10, 2002
Sonoma Coast, Nor Cal
LOL, WYD. We’ll see baby
, we’ll see...<P>OK, ya'll i'm SO amped now. <BR>2 hours!!! acqua watches this show just like how she sponges. Prone, head up, legs thrashing... damn i'm excited!<BR>
<P>I bet Ian & Co. gets the ax tonight. Or the twins... or 911? hmmmmmm....

Surfchaser

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 16, 2002
Calistralia
Visit site
WYD - <P>You mean team Grrr-Animals right? The gay guys that dressed alike? I wasn't one of their camera guys, luckily from what I hear, though they were edited to seem more evil then they were, they did do a few "girly" things that never made it to air.<P>The most loved from the crew's standpoint were Kevin & Drew from season one. My 5 days with them had my stomach hurting from holding in the laughter! The dialogue on their opening stroll through NYC while everyone else was running was edited out. Too bad. They were as funny as you can imagine, and when they got to Zimbabwe it got even better.<P>What hit the cutting room floor that would've been great....? On arrival in the African village in season 1, contestants were to cook an ostrich egg and eat it. One cooked, one ate. But they had to start the fire, and cook it in some crazy lard substance that the villagers used. The Texan girls blew major chunks (and I mean through the nose and everything), the ex-marine and wife went all-out culinary, and Kevin & Drew downed it Rocky-style!!! All of it on tape!! Have you ever seen the size of an ostrich egg yoke!?!? OMG!!<P> - SC<P>PS - Gotta go surfing, finally some swell.

sndcrtr

Miki Dora status
Apr 22, 2002
Istanbul,Turkey
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by acqua.marina:<BR><B>LOL, WYD. We’ll see baby
, we’ll see...<P>OK, ya'll i'm SO amped now. <BR>2 hours!!! acqua watches this show just like how she sponges. Prone, head up, legs thrashing... damn i'm excited!<BR>
<P>I bet Ian & Co. gets the ax tonight. Or the twins... or 911? hmmmmmm....</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You guys/gals make me laugh... I watched this show up until this season!! I dug the locations and the competitions. <P>

acqua.marina

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 10, 2002
Sonoma Coast, Nor Cal
Surfchaser - i hope you can chase a few down while there’s a bit of light. Thanks so much for the inside scoop - not done with you yet... please - you gotta tell me how to get on this show. (¡Mañana, por favor!) <P>You all - this is the greatest! <BR>I’m so glad to be out and sharing this TV addiction with y’all. OK - so i just heard it’s only 1 hour tonight, but starts at 8 instead of the usual 9, so we can all watch Victoria’s not-so-secret-panty-jam afterward. <BR>Goodnight, fellow TAR heads!