Tesla = Not Done

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
We all just got notice around here in Santa Cruz county that PG&E is going to turn our power off starting tomorrow for 36 to 48 hours due to extreme fire conditions. If this start becoming the new norm around here, you are fvcked if you own a Tesla and want to do any kind of distance traveling.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
$7,500 tax credit for 2018 delivery.

A $2,000 check from another rebate program.

An $850 SDG&E credit last month that has wiped out my last 2 months power bills.

No issues with the car (yet) and still feel I would never buy a gas powered car again with a truck as my first vehicle.

It will be interesting to see how Tesla evolves. I hear it’s a bit chaotic working there, and having worked at fast growth successful companies in the past that’s not surprising.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Yep here too, $10k credit went a long way with our taxes 2018, ended up w a refund when we thought we were going to pay!

Plug it in. a full charge goes ~300 miles, plenty enough to get to the next area with power on!

Sure is nice to not have to goto the gas station every 3 days....

Only wish we'd gotten in on the stock as it will probably only go up from here.
GWS you dog!!! sell me some on the cheap!! lol...

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
closed at $580 today and is up an additional $70 after hours

earnings call in 15 minutes....beat earnings forecasts with rumors of
Model Y deliveries starting a full quarter ahead of schedule in February

Last edited:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Saw a headline today that China is halting their Tesla 3 production (temporarily?) due to the corona virus issue.

Not sure how much that will affect their near term bottom line?

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/29/21114377/tesla-coronavirus-delay-production-factory-china

"Apple and Tesla are among the biggest U.S. companies with footprints in China, Ives says. Foxconn, the main assembler of iPhones, is located in Zhengzhou, China, while Tesla’s Gigafactory 3 is based in Shanghai. Roughly 20% to 30% of Apple and Tesla’s sales growth over the next year is forecast to come from China, he said."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/01/28/coronavirus-outbreak-apple-facebook-restricting-travel-china/4603225002/

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Saw a headline today that China is halting their Tesla 3 production (temporarily?) due to the corona virus issue.

Not sure how much that will affect their near term bottom line?

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/29/21114377/tesla-coronavirus-delay-production-factory-china

"Apple and Tesla are among the biggest U.S. companies with footprints in China, Ives says. Foxconn, the main assembler of iPhones, is located in Zhengzhou, China, while Tesla’s Gigafactory 3 is based in Shanghai. Roughly 20% to 30% of Apple and Tesla’s sales growth over the next year is forecast to come from China, he said."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/01/28/coronavirus-outbreak-apple-facebook-restricting-travel-china/4603225002/
they referenced a 10 day shutdown mandated by local chinese authorities on the
earnings call today, but since they are in such early phases AND ahead of their
stated schedule on the Chinese factory they brushed it off as just a blip

they also alluded to some big news around their battery operations coming up.

there have been a few articles talking about the "million mile battery" which basically
means that you could own this car for life, similar to how they are talking about the
cybertruck...it also counteracts complaints people have about battery waste when the
thing effectively never needs to be discarded. this will be key for their FSD fleet goals
as well where owners will have the option to let out their vehicle for ridesharing.

it also looks like they may terminate their agreement with Panasonic and start
manufacturing their own cells which will further reduce their cost

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Oh you laugh Fecal? Why do you hate facts that are still as true today as they were two years ago?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I got an Audi E-tron yesterday for a few day trial. Very nice. Much more like a traditional luxury car interior. Way more bells and whistles than the Tesla. Great looking car.

My initial impression is it's a great car with dollar to dollar more for your money than a Model X....but that depends on how important range is to you. As a grocery getter with an occasional evening out and 20-40K cheaper it's range is more than enough and going to be a compelling option.....until the Model Y comes out at this price point. Then it's for the consumer to decide if range or features is what's more important.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
they referenced a 10 day shutdown mandated by local chinese authorities on the
earnings call today, but since they are in such early phases AND ahead of their
stated schedule on the Chinese factory they brushed it off as just a blip

they also alluded to some big news around their battery operations coming up.

there have been a few articles talking about the "million mile battery" which basically
means that you could own this car for life, similar to how they are talking about the
cybertruck...it also counteracts complaints people have about battery waste when the
thing effectively never needs to be discarded. this will be key for their FSD fleet goals
as well where owners will have the option to let out their vehicle for ridesharing.

it also looks like they may terminate their agreement with Panasonic and start
manufacturing their own cells which will further reduce their cost
Now, all they have to do is start actually making income......

Someday they might, and when reality sets in their stock might be worth $200.

I'd be eyeing a profit grab before too long.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
How long would it take to go 900 miles? Would you have to do it in two days instead of one?
We just drove to Scottsdale AZ and back in one day a couple weeks ago. Left at 4am got back by 7pm. Do you think we could do that with an E-car? Just over 800 miles roundtrip.

Reactions: Ifallalot

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Yes. Stop for lunch near a supercharging station or park at one in Scottsdale and you're pretty much good to go. Probably have to stop at another for 15-20 minutes on the way home. How often would an average person do a drive like that anyway? Maybe once every 5-10 years?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Yes. Stop for lunch near a supercharging station or park at one in Scottsdale and you're pretty much good to go. Probably have to stop at another for 15-20 minutes on the way home. How often would an average person do a drive like that anyway? Maybe once every 5-10 years?
We take road trips like that multiple times a year

I also drive to the Bay Area to see my parents multiple times a year as well