Tesla for a middle class family with two kids.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Even a used one is like north of $60k

Factor in that you need way more space than any Tesla provides and you'd be better off buying a loaded minivan or SUV

Besides, new cars pollute and consume less than the plants that make electricity :poke:

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Saw a banged up one for 60k. The prices on the nice/most models is insane. But the charging stations really aren’t all that big for the home.

Your last point would be more valid if it wasn’t the fact that’s our entire power grid. Not at all unique to Tesla needs. They’re probably pretty minuscule compared to other power usages and the oil industry probably uses more. The solution? We continue to invest into cleaner energy production.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
manbearpig said:
ifallalot said:
Nuclear plants everywhere.
If your concerned about disposal of car batteries you should be more so concerned about nuclear waste disposal.
i'm not concerned about battery disposal, I'm just reminding everyone that they aren't as green as they think they are when they go electric.

Like I've said before, we have nuclear waste disposal taken care of- Nevada.

These dorks need to get on top of fusion as well. That would take care of nuclear waste more and get where we need to go with space travel

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
ifallalot said:
manbearpig said:
ifallalot said:
Nuclear plants everywhere.
If your concerned about disposal of car batteries you should be more so concerned about nuclear waste disposal.
i'm not concerned about battery disposal, I'm just reminding everyone that they aren't as green as they think they are when they go electric.

Like I've said before, we have nuclear waste disposal taken care of- Nevada.

These dorks need to get on top of fusion as well. That would take care of nuclear waste more and get where we need to go with space travel
I toured Yucca Mountain while they were testing it. Pretty impressive engineering project. Disappointed that the drill they used looked nothing like the ones from Total Recall. :roflmao:

A shame there are two active faults bisecting the facility. You'd hope the nearby volcanoes remain dormant too.

The upside is Vegas can save a lot of electricity by glowing in the dark.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
ifallalot said:

Factor in that you need way more space than any Tesla provides and you'd be better off buying a loaded minivan or SUV

Besides, new cars pollute and consume less than the plants that make electricity :poke:
Feeble minds never think of progress. We should just stick with what we have.

The science and technology are at the end of the road, right dummy?

Like when you've said 4k is never going to be a thing.

Clean coal is coming though.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
There are plenty of clean energy sources we could be be focusing on.

The problem is the insane, wasteful amounts of energy we consume in this country and fossil fuel industry together with righty feeble minds putting brakes on progress.

As evident from this thread.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:

4K still isn't a thing.

When did I ever espouse coal?

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:

4K still isn't a thing.
Point proven.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Let me know when I can get real 1080p, or hell, real 1080i at home and I'll concede the 4K point.

You can edit in 4 or 8K all day long and it doesn't mean sh!t if the end user doesn't watch it in 4K.

Average home internet speeds should tell you all you need to know about people getting real 4K at home.

The enthusiast crowd doesn't mean sh!t when it comes to bulk numbers

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Why not let the market decide? I welcome any auto maker who makes a product I want at a price I can afford. I'm all for that. Needs to be big enough for my needs, be convenient to drive and refuel, needs to have adequate power, safe, comfortable to drive and affordable up front and total cost of ownership. Bring it on. Make a better mouse trap. Reap the rewards.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
GromsDad said:
Why not let the market decide? I welcome any auto maker who makes a product I want at a price I can afford. I'm all for that. Needs to be big enough for my needs, be convenient to drive and refuel, needs to have adequate power, safe, comfortable to drive and affordable up front and total cost of ownership. Bring it on. Make a better mouse trap. Reap the rewards.
Exactly.

They'll probably get there soon, but the electric cars are nowhere near as convenient and affordable as a normal car.

People jerk themselves off over Teslas but that company is literally stealing from poor people and giving it to rich people in order for the company to stay solvent. Crony capitalism is bad regardless