Taking Megalodon Fossils from the river

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
At least he went out doing what he loved.

I’m sorry but :roflmao: :roflmao::roflmao:
He didn't go out and I don't think he even got a gator tooth embedded in the skull and broken off as a souvenir. All in all a terrible day.

Trusting freshwater anywhere or brackish water south of Lake O to that extent....if the freshwater current isn't moving fast enough to kill you, something else may well be moving fast enough to kill you.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
He didn't go out and I don't think he even got a gator tooth embedded in the skull and broken off as a souvenir. All in all a terrible day.

Trusting freshwater anywhere or brackish water south of Lake O to that extent....if the freshwater current isn't moving fast enough to kill you, something else may well be moving fast enough to kill you.
Darwin strikes again.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Darwin strikes again.
Unless this dude has future offspring that sprout GoPros as armor from their domes, I think Darwin was cheated and is actually owed a life.

Daily Mail Article said:
However, in an ironic twist, he said when the wildlife officials approached the gator, who they were not intent on killing anyway, a huge 13-foot alligator unexpectedly leapt from the water and attacked and killed the animal.

Although he continues to dive for megalodon teeth regularly, and donates the profits to wildlife organizations, Heim added that he has a much safer approach these days and thinks he was reckless.
You going with Alligator? Bull Shark, Cottonmouth, or Eastern Diamondback?

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Interesting this came up.
I was watching an old episode of California's Gold with good 'ol Huell.
He visited a place called Shark Tooth Hill outside of Bakersfield.
A HUGE fossil bed with all kinds of cool stuff like whale bones, seal skeletons and Megaladon teeth.
Literally hundreds of millions of shark teeth in the area.(mostly Mako and another species I can't remember.)
Used to be free to go out and visit/collect (many years ago) but today you can make a reservation and pay $40 to collect all the teeth you want.
Wife and I are going in the spring for a road trip and maybe check out the poppies while we're at it.
Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 5.55.02 PM.png

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Interesting this came up.
I was watching an old episode of California's Gold with good 'ol Huell.
He visited a place called Shark Tooth Hill outside of Bakersfield.
A HUGE fossil bed with all kinds of cool stuff like whale bones, seal skeletons and Megaladon teeth.
Literally hundreds of millions of shark teeth in the area.(mostly Mako and another species I can't remember.)
Used to be free to go out and visit/collect (many years ago) but today you can make a reservation and pay $40 to collect all the teeth you want.
Wife and I are going in the spring for a road trip and maybe check out the poppies while we're at it.
View attachment 170699
Told my students about shark tooth hill. One of my 4th graders went and came back w a shoebox full of them.