Taking driftwood from the beach…

Jan 14, 2019
I get where you're coming from with the driftwood situation. It's a bit unsettling when people take large amounts all at once because it can definitely feel like they're taking more than their share. Personally, I think taking a piece or two for personal use seems reasonable, especially if it's for art or home decor, which often brings a bit of nature's beauty indoors.

On some beaches, local regulations or community norms actually support collecting small amounts of driftwood, which helps keep the beaches clean and safe for everyone. Speaking of preparation for such activities, I find it practical to keep a mini chainsaw in my trunk—it's small and convenient for cutting larger pieces of wood into manageable sizes. This way, when permitted, I can responsibly gather wood without taking more than needed.

Last edited:

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Guarding the beach and all the fvcking stones at Cardiff Reef. Does the City/State pay for the removal of drift wood and stones during sand replenishment? Doubt it but they will fine you if you take more than a bucket load.

IMG_0797.jpeg

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
In years past I've seen Oxnard/Ventura county run D-9's down the beach and push the wood into giant piles. And then burn it.

Take all you want.

Reactions: keenfish