Take a Helicopter Tour. It Will Be Fun They Said

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Do you practice crash landings with fixed wing aircraft? I can imagine on a simulator but in a real plane?
Yes. You pull the power and aim for a runway. You can add power when you're confident that you've made the runway. You don't have to land because you pull power and flare for every landing anyway. IDK if they do this for rotary wing - full unpowered autorotations to the ground in practice or check rides. The comments here say they don't do that anymore.

1709917002810.png

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I saw this on threads right after it happened and got rerouted to LAX. I looked it up on flight aware and watched it fly over my house. It didn’t look much different than any other incoming passenger jet.
Not sure why it would look any different. Just lost a wheel, which are stored in the landing gear bays during flight. And the planes are designed to land even with a popped (or missing) wheel on each gear.

777 wheels

1709920035508.png

• Wow
Reactions: john4surf

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
While we're on the topic of flying, this just happened today. Cirrus 22 flying out of Shelter Cove. They're equipped with a 'Cirrus Airframe Parachute System', CAPS. Initial scanner report had locals reporting airplane 'exploded'...well, that was the parachute being deployed. Plane just settled down into some trees where it hung and the people on board self-extricated. Probably the spinny thing quit spinning...
brccirrus22.jpg

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I will never get on a helicopter unless work requires me to and even then, I would be stressing and fight it. When I went to SCI last November our team was looking at a private helicopter charter since it was 12 of us and we couldnt all get on the small plane charter. Luckily it was too expensive.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
While we're on the topic of flying, this just happened today. Cirrus 22 flying out of Shelter Cove. They're equipped with a 'Cirrus Airframe Parachute System', CAPS. Initial scanner report had locals reporting airplane 'exploded'...well, that was the parachute being deployed. Plane just settled down into some trees where it hung and the people on board self-extricated. Probably the spinny thing quit spinning...
View attachment 174760
Do you live up there?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Gear collapse:

Boeing mgr won't fly a 737-MAX ("If it's Boeing, I'm not going."
Maintenance is going downhill:

Pilots are getting worse too.

"Take it to the politics forum, kook!"

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
Been on a few chopper tours but after seeing Kobe Bryant die plus some of these other crashes . .. yeah . . . no. I'm good :drowning:
A bunch of erbb members were at Kenny’s aka OTF paddle out in Newport the day when Kobe’s chopper went down. We were drinking beers at a pub later and the news came on. Bonzer5fin was not drinking beer, and gbg had a tasty Pinot most likely.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
I will never get on a helicopter unless work requires me to and even then, I would be stressing and fight it. When I went to SCI last November our team was looking at a private helicopter charter since it was 12 of us and we couldnt all get on the small plane charter. Luckily it was too expensive.
Flew in Huey’s for 12-13 months. Never get in a helicopter with out a door gunner. Preferably two door gunners. The only time I was air sick as a 2LT was during ‘terrain flying’ to avoid ground fire…

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
There was a time around 2013 where a lot of young guys left the military and got into the trades.. had a kid working for me who had been a ranger and he constantly said dont get in helos and dont let your kids join the military lol..