Take a Helicopter Tour. It Will Be Fun They Said

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
What’s the story?

I spent a week camped out a Kalalau. The one thing that shattered the tropical tranquility were the frequent helicopters. It was like you couldn’t quite sink into the feeling of being off the grid, cut off from the modern world, because every half hour it would sound like LA police chasing a criminal.

Cue Al Soldano…

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
I hope we didn't just watch people die.

Seemed like the pilot had just enough control to determine whether they fell towards the beach or away from it. I would have went the other way if so... :shrug:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I read a bunch of pilots commenting on it. Apparently the pilot autorotated and put it down on a really small sliver of beach like a boss. Everyone lived. Prob equal parts skill and equal parts luck. Notice nobody screaming or panicking

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
What’s the story?

I spent a week camped out a Kalalau. The one thing that shattered the tropical tranquility were the frequent helicopters. It was like you couldn’t quite sink into the feeling of being off the grid, cut off from the modern world, because every half hour it would sound like LA police chasing a criminal.

Cue Al Soldano…
This. Damn things fired up like an angry swarm of XXL mosquitos each day.

Gnarly footage!

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
A passenger suffered a back injury in the crash was airlifted to Princeville Airport before being transported to a hospital.

"Don't worry sir. We've got a chopper to take you to a hospital."

View attachment 174686
If the pilot walked away, it was a landing rather than a crash. Any landing you walk away from is a good landing. The pilot did a great job with zero glide ratio.

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
As a fixed wing pilot that never got into rotary wing flying, you're always looking for a place to land should that spinny thing stop spinning. The pilot of this MD500 did a great job of putting it on a very small beach. Looks like he may have flared a little early which is why the helicopter was destroyed. But that helicopter is known for being one of the most crash-worthy helicopters because everyone sits in the primary structure, unlike other ones where you're sitting in a plastic bubble, aka tupperware.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
As a fixed wing pilot that never got into rotary wing flying, you're always looking for a place to land should that spinny thing stop spinning. The pilot of this MD500 did a great job of putting it on a very small beach. Looks like he may have flared a little early which is why the helicopter was destroyed. But that helicopter is known for being one of the most crash-worthy helicopters because everyone sits in the primary structure, unlike other ones where you're sitting in a plastic bubble, aka tupperware.
When getting your rotary certificate, how many unpowered landings like that do you even practice? I agree he did a great job.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
When getting your rotary certificate, how many unpowered landings like that do you even practice? I agree he did a great job.
Do you practice crash landings with fixed wing aircraft? I can imagine on a simulator but in a real plane?

I worked for an artist who was also a pilot. He told me one time he took off in a small plane and almost immediately realized he didn't check/have sufficient fuel. He quickly spotted an empty parking lot and put it down. A crowd arrived as did the police and he quickly called a pilot friend who arrived impersonating an FAA official, shooed away the police, gave him enough fuel to get back to the airport.