Tail Pad for Proper Gun?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
What say you?

8'6 Desert Storm incoming, and I'm in two minds about whether to grip it. I'm so used to having that kick there to keep me from doing the Mick Fanning splits.

Really curious to hear from the regular big board crew.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Im thinking let the poop you expel from your butt dry rot on there and that should give you proper traction with a nice reminder of the state of affairs.

• Haha
Reactions: Waterlogged05

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Those Webers look sick, Maz.

Tailpads? Never used em on anything over 7'0. Might help you find the tail if you really need to stomp a turn, but you probably won't need to be that far back on a 8'6, considering how fast you will be going.

Reactions: Aruka

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I haven't done it myself but I have thought about it...

I'm thinking a standard tail traction pad doesn't do much for you. Even an 8'6 is a lot of board to try and find that one spot where your traction/tail pad is. I'd even be worried about putting one down and having it be in completely the wrong spot.

I do find the full deck traction thing to be pretty compelling though. The worst wipeout I had this year was from a front foot slip. Really wasn't that bad or anything, but it was a bummer to get bucked off the wave. Probably would have made it with a deck traction pad.

What say the erbb? Would be good to get feedback from all you folks where your longest board is 6'4.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Im thinking let the poop you expel from your butt dry rot on there and that should give you proper traction with a nice reminder of the state of affairs.
Aww, sweetheart, you're too kind. Won't work in a 4/3, though.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I haven't ridden a gun for years. I used to own a Wayne Lynch 7' 4" and I didn't see any point in putting a tail pad on it. Nor my later 6' 9" step ups. My rear foot gun/step up position was forward of HPSB, foot distance apart the same (measured the foot marks on my boards). However I don't surf properly.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Kinda on topic: Twiggy had several of his old Christenson guns for sale at Mollusk last week. I made it in time to check out the remaining 8'0.

First, had a tailpad.

Second, foiling was VERY interesting. 8'0, 20, 3.25. The deck was quite domed but the rails were round like CI shortboard rails. The tail was very narrow but still rounded. And most interestingly, while the widepoint was at about center, the nose area was crazy thick, making the board extremely nose heavy.

Not a balanced board at all. If it was a board without a label and I randomly picked it up in a shop, no way I would considered buying it.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdsrfr

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I have a small 4 inch x 4 inch square piece of foam on the tail of my gun just so I can feel where my foot is when I stand up. Helps a lot. I do the same thing with my fish.