swim workouts

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
casa_mugrienta said:
What is done to maintain shoulder health?
Proper technique.

Thumb down catch is no bueno over the long run.

You want to go fingers first.

Most crappy/slow (adult onset) swimmers catch with the heel of their hand anyway. While this isn’t as bad as the thumb down catch they also usually fail to rotate their body during the stroke, keeping a basically flat body position throughout, which is also bad for them shoulders.....

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
njsurfer42 said:
ko25ok said:
njsurfer42 said:
Motivated to get the hell out of the gym/pool & on the water. At least that’s true for me. I’ve got 2 kids under 3. I’m not always able to get on it when the surf is good, so I like to get out for a paddle now & then to mix it up & get outside. I like to play on the shoals in the inlets, too. I’ve gotten 200+years rides on knee high waves on my 14’ Bark. It’s not the same as surfing a proper wave, but it satisfies the itch a little. Any water time I can get is good water time.
What you need is a Paddle Surf Vehicle (google it) or a variation of it. Dave Parmenter shapes his for a pretty reasonable price. Couple other guys make gliders that are a good variation.

A 12 ft glider with a full belly outline to performance concaves out the back. 12 x 22-25 inches wide by 5.5 thick.

I went with EPS and heavy glassing.

Can surf even the smallest of surf. Use for flat water paddling or surf it. I’ve had mine out in double overhead point breaks to tiny channel runners.

Won’t go as fast as a prone paddle board but will go fast enough and you’ll get good exercise
Meh. I like the glide & speed of the paddleboard. If I had the time & motivation, I’d still paddle a stock 12’ board. I do a few races a year, ranging from 5 to 20+ miles, so it’s also training for those. You really don’t want to jump into a 20+ mile race unprepared. 8 or 10 miles in a 4/3, 7mil boots, 5mil lobster claws, & a hat will definitely have you prepped for the drifty, shifty post-nor’easter swells we get around here in the winter.
Paddled all last winter in 5 mil was great for keeping ready for the occasional overhead swell we get in NJ. Did a 5 mile race on my longboard what a chore, but finished middle of pack against raceboards and sups. My problem is storage for a actual paddleboard. That reminds me have to start working out!

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
casa_mugrienta said:
What is done to maintain shoulder health?
Should problems can be symptom of a problem somewhere else.

I suspect a lot shoulder problems come from restriction of movement in the transverse plane.

(Duffy mentioned the swimmer not rotating.)

My should problem was really a lat problem.

It was not positioning my should in the right place.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
njsurfer42 said:
ko25ok said:
njsurfer42 said:
Motivated to get the hell out of the gym/pool & on the water. At least that’s true for me. I’ve got 2 kids under 3. I’m not always able to get on it when the surf is good, so I like to get out for a paddle now & then to mix it up & get outside. I like to play on the shoals in the inlets, too. I’ve gotten 200+years rides on knee high waves on my 14’ Bark. It’s not the same as surfing a proper wave, but it satisfies the itch a little. Any water time I can get is good water time.
What you need is a Paddle Surf Vehicle (google it) or a variation of it. Dave Parmenter shapes his for a pretty reasonable price. Couple other guys make gliders that are a good variation.

A 12 ft glider with a full belly outline to performance concaves out the back. 12 x 22-25 inches wide by 5.5 thick.

I went with EPS and heavy glassing.

Can surf even the smallest of surf. Use for flat water paddling or surf it. I’ve had mine out in double overhead point breaks to tiny channel runners.

Won’t go as fast as a prone paddle board but will go fast enough and you’ll get good exercise
Meh. I like the glide & speed of the paddleboard. If I had the time & motivation, I’d still paddle a stock 12’ board. I do a few races a year, ranging from 5 to 20+ miles, so it’s also training for those. You really don’t want to jump into a 20+ mile race unprepared. 8 or 10 miles in a 4/3, 7mil boots, 5mil lobster claws, & a hat will definitely have you prepped for the drifty, shifty post-nor’easter swells we get around here in the winter.
The PSV has the speed and glide of a stock board. I’m pretty sure on of his PSVs crossed Molokai in the stock class race.