Surfskate boards

Uberkuque

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 19, 2014
Do they work? (Carver, etc). Are they better? Or can you just use a regular skateboard w super loose trucks so you can weight/unweight as you come out of a turn — would that be similar?

surf-shot.com

Nep status
Feb 10, 2008
www.surf-shot.com
Do they work? (Carver, etc). Are they better? Or can you just use a regular skateboard w super loose trucks so you can weight/unweight as you come out of a turn — would that be similar?

https://www.youtube.com/user/surfyourskate/videos

full disclosure: I don’t skate very well

I’ve had symmetrical popsicle sticks in the past, but bought a couple of inexpensive longer wider “carver type” boards. It was surprising how fun and fast they were. I had the trucks as loose as possible but sometimes got wheel bite. Stoked ride shop (Torrance, CA) fixed me up with wedge shaped risers that eliminated wheel bite and angle the trucks to make smaller radius turns even with the trucks tighter. Stoked! I mentioned to the owner that the Carver/Lost and Carver/CI boards looked pretty bitchin but cost $220+. He said they were super fun and maybe worth the money.

Reactions: Uberkuque

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
I’ve had a couple carvers (both C7 and cx). have a cx Kerr at the moment.

they are fun but sort of a thing unto themselves. If all you want to do is style out with tight flowing turns on big soft wheels they’re great.

beyond that they are pretty limited. heavy and high off the ground. Anything other than carving they suck at. Too scary for downhill. Suck at performance street pool and park. Okay for screwing around on banks and ditches

I found the transition back and forth between a “real skateboard” and a carver to be pretty rough. Much weirder than say going thruster to quad to single (which I do all the time).

that said the turning radius of Surfskates is really cool. Worth it? I dunno. depends what you want out of it. They are fun and fun is addictive but it’s not like real skating

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I like my carver cx's. A normal board, even a longboard with big soft wheels is not the same thing. They won't generate speed by carving like the CX will. Carvers are definitely not great for steep hills although I like taking mine down into the deep bowl at my local and pumping around the transition. It's a good leg workout and I think is pretty helpful for your surfing.

Reactions: doc_flavonoid

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
This thing looks interesting. Anybody have one or ride one? older video....