Surflines rating system and our responsibility as surfers.

erik1938

Legend (inyourownmind)
This morning again for I can't count the number of times this has happened to me at various local spots, I planned on riding my bike down to Doho river mouth and catch some small clean waves that I knew would be there. I do a quick camera check on surfline and I see their ridiculous conditions rating system has labeled this spot "Orange." Of course the place is flooded with people, most of which I can guarantee would never have been there if it wasn't for that color coding system.

Surfline is a nice tool to use in order to get their perspective on the forecast swell sizes including a concise descriptions of the current conditions such as tide and wind/forcasted wind, in combination with a little local knowledge.

I think that it is our responsibility as surfers to keep outside influences un-biased so as to avoid this blowing up of spots. (Not like Doho is a secret spot, but without surflines color coding condition system I believe that it would not be as crowded at various spots when the conditions are "rated." I think that they should only list the conditions and stay out of rating them, therefore this forces someone to make an educated decision and a potentially better surfing environment.

I urge everyone to email surfline

and complain about their use of the color coded rating system. If enough people complain maybe they will take the entire rating system down.

• Haha
Reactions: _____

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
one spot was rated 5-6ft code orange for today, starting a week ago.

never mind this spot is blocked from anything south of 210. lolz.

looks like a lake on the cam.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
one spot was rated 5-6ft code orange for today, starting a week ago.

never mind this spot is blocked from anything south of 210. lolz.

looks like a lake on the cam.
they don't call it Surflie for nothing

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Just trying to tell people to do something about it. That starts with emailing them and telling them what you think of their color coded rating system. If they get enough comments maybe just maybe they may remove it.

Or you can keep quiet and do nothing.
or just take it for what it is, like the weather report not certain and often wrong. you can use it to cross reference other forecasting sites. looking at swell maps, tide charts, angles, tides , wind direction etc., still all these can be aligned and conditions may not live up to expectations. just have to be at the right spot on the right day/time and you may score. truly perfect waves are hard to come by, count yourself lucky every time you a have magical session.

erik1938

Legend (inyourownmind)
I do not care about their accuracy, the whole point of my post is to get people to email them and complain about using the color coded rating system. Because their color coded rating system produces negative affects at breaks that are rated as orange or red(good to epic) because that is easier then looking at the tide, winds, cams and having site specific knowledge.

I believe that their color coding system should be removed and not replaced.

• Haha
Reactions: _____

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I do not care about their accuracy, the whole point of my post is to get people to email them and complain about using the color coded rating system. Because their color coded rating system produces negative affects at breaks that are rated as orange or red(good to epic) because that is easier then looking at the tide, winds, cams and having site specific knowledge.

I believe that their color coding system should be removed and not replaced.
Thinks corp America make decisions based on what's good for the end user. Haha.

erik1938

Legend (inyourownmind)
Ha, pretty funny.

Well, I realize Corpo doesn't give a sh1t about anyone else but themselves and their quarterly earnings, but if you don't try to do something about it and only b1tch then who's the dummy? Just saying it might help if enough people say something and potentially effect their income stream. But if you are too lazy to compose a simple email then so be it.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Ha, pretty funny.

Well, I realize Corpo doesn't give a sh1t about anyone else but themselves and their quarterly earnings, but if you don't try to do something about it and only b1tch then who's the dummy? Just saying it might help if enough people say something and potentially effect their income stream. But if you are too lazy to compose a simple email then so be it.
Maybe in Orange County that counts for jack sh!t. You have a shitload of different spots. Sick wedges at Seal on the right conditions, down to cobblestone Trestles, with Wedge, Laguna reefs, RJ, Creek, Newport, HB all between. Islands, canyons, two different hemispheres of swell...

In Florida, if it's Orange, or even a decent face height Green, or it's over knee high and offshores were forecast, it's fucking packed to the gills at any "spot", and everyone and their sister has been hyping the day for the better part of a week.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
my local doesn't have a cam, so people only show up when surfline hypes it.

it could be overhead and glassy, but if surfline doesn't report anything it's empty.

Reactions: sdsrfr

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
If they see orange, and they go there and score, isn't that what they paid for?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The NWS marine forecast is as good as you're going to do. Surflie uses the same free data products and charges you for them. It's a pretty standard business model.

Aug 2, 2011
SoCal
Not worried about the 2 or 3 times per year anywhere in SoCal gets rated orange. Before this week, I can't even remember the last time I saw orange around here.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Drove to the coast last week for a day sesh and scored! People not really a factor, and not sure what color it was.