Surfing trip to Costa Rica with wifey.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I said this years ago on a similar thread- you gotta try REAL hard to f^%k up a trip to costa rica

Yeah it's pricier now, but, it's still paradise, and even that mediocre beach break can be super fun for days and weeks on end

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
ive made the trek for very medocre returns as well.

part of me is thinking Costa as a surf destination is about over. I used to make excuses for the closeouts because it was relatively cheap - but those days are long gone. could be more expensive than a socal vacation.
I agree . Don’t know why americans like it so much. Probably because all of central america were dictatorships during the 80’s, with the exception of crica?? I find it overrated and too expensive for what it is.
Go to nica. (still cheap), Or Mex., or the caribbean…

Reactions: CutnSnip and mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Want uncrowded and probably cheap Guatemala is probably a good choice, all beachbreak but same south exposure as the rest of CA

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I agree . Don’t know why americans like it so much. Probably because all of central america were dictatorships during the 80’s, with the exception of crica?? I find it overrated and too expensive for what it is.
Go to nica. (still cheap), Or Mex., or the caribbean…
Dictatorships plus the crime factor. Americans like it because it is the least likely to country to provide personal experience on one of those rules @ElOgro readily quotes - "Don't bring anything from the US to the third world you aren't prepared to lose."

The Carib feels very fickle and tends toward being expensive or not as nice as CR for what you pay. Or dangerous in DR/Jamaica. Add to that, the primary surf travel season especially for throngs of Floridians overrunning Centro is June/July/August. Not the ideal time for the Carib.

Want uncrowded and probably cheap Guatemala is probably a good choice, all beachbreak but same south exposure as the rest of CA
Guatemala is notorious for having tide-sensitive closeouts and tide-sensitive not closeouts at the few piers/jetties available, which aren't always the friendliest places to surf in terms of access.

Reactions: CutnSnip and mundus
Apr 30, 2022
Playa Negra is good but it's a point with a narrow take off along with a hotel and a bunch of vacation rentals sitting next to it. Seemed consistent though. Nice thing about the Nicoya Peninsula is there seems to be a lot of different accessible places to surf, though many breaks weren't working when I was there. Nosara seemed to have waves every day when I was there. The onshore winds picked up early every day on my trip though :(

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I had the same experience at Playa Negra when there was like one palapa there 25 years ago. If you got it with a few chill heads it would probably be a hell of a fun time. If you don't have a couple South groundswells running, one greedy pain in the ass can ruin it for everyone. Especially if you're the only person willing to take a turn paddling that pain in the ass too deep.

Feb 4, 2024
ive made the trek for very medocre returns as well.

part of me is thinking Costa as a surf destination is about over. I used to make excuses for the closeouts because it was relatively cheap - but those days are long gone. could be more expensive than a socal vacation.
Im going early May. This is definitely something that's a possibility. Get there and get skunked. Between this and Hermosa. Sounds like with the right swell Pavones is better but Hermosa is more consistent. Even though it may be closing out.

We wrote off Santa Teresa. Wife and I agreed its too Tulum for us. We're looking for chill surf trip with out al the people are partying.

Reactions: CutnSnip

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Im going early May. This is definitely something that's a possibility. Get there and get skunked. Between this and Hermosa. Sounds like with the right swell Pavones is better but Hermosa is more consistent. Even though it may be closing out.

We wrote off Santa Teresa. Wife and I agreed its too Tulum for us. We're looking for chill surf trip with out al the people are partying.
just do hermosa then..there will def be waves there. ive been in December and still "scored" a couple overhead days where a few of those zippy little ticos were able to make a barrel or two.

Reactions: Pyz2

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
I’m heading down in November, probably going to stay around Avellanas or Nosara. I’m hoping the crowds aren’t too bad. As I’m getting older, I don’t need great waves, just fun ones

Feb 4, 2024
I wanna go to nica. Those bchbreaks look sick and consistent. At least according to those instag posts
I went to Popoyo, Nica 2018. It was awesome. Stayed a Nicawaves. Was there for a whole week with my buddies, ate at the restaurant daily, rented as many boards as I wanted, rented their scooters and ATV's. Did a boat tour to Colorado (I think thats what it was called). All in was little over $600.

Went in February and wore a 2mm top. Water was chilly, but damn the surf was good.

Attachments

Apr 30, 2022
I’m heading down in November, probably going to stay around Avellanas or Nosara. I’m hoping the crowds aren’t too bad. As I’m getting older, I don’t need great waves, just fun ones
You'll have fun. November should still be quiet-ish... Avellanas and Nosara are both long beaches with a bunch of mixed peaks from what I remember that helped spread out the crowd a bit. This was like 6 years ago though.

Reactions: JTS
Apr 30, 2022
Parts of Costa Rica can get Northern Hemisphere winter swell - Guanacaste (and some W-facing parts of the Osa) has the best NW swell window of anywhere in Central America.

Nica's NW swell window isn't as good. It's comically better than El Salvador's though. The Boom will require a storm to drop down low and west - you'll want fetch hitting Hawaii. San Juan del Sur zone is a little more open.

Lots of the other places hadn't turned into Disneyland when Costa had already been on the map for years.

CR also has better bathymetry in many respects than the rest of Centro.
I had to look up the word bathymetry. Interested to hear that. I guess the peninsula just sticks out far enough to pick up that NW swell, where Nicaragua and Guatemala it's likely blocked by southern Mexico unfortunately despite having some west facing coastline?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I had to look up the word bathymetry. Interested to hear that. I guess the peninsula just sticks out far enough to pick up that NW swell, where Nicaragua and Guatemala it's likely blocked by southern Mexico unfortunately despite having some west facing coastline?
Plus the coast of Centro hangs a turn at the Gulf of Fonseca.