Surfing Brothers. Who is/was the best?

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
How about for most influential?
I vote for Flippy and Walter Hoffman.

If we are doing it, they invented it and/or discovered it.

Reactions: bchrd

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Do brother/sister. Please knowledge me ye knowing ones.
Brother sister would be between Owen/Tyler and Mason/Coco. I'd give it to Mason/Coco because they for sure have more stoke/fun in addition to ripping and style that is off the charts. Coco's surfing to me is every bit as radical and pleasing to watch as Stephanie Gilmore or any other woman on tour.

Parent / Child would be another good one to look at. Mike and Mason Ho would probably win that one with the Mike and Coco combo taking second place. Lot of parent/child ripper combos where the parent and child both ripped in their day but I can't think of another where the father was still surfing at a super high level while the kids were at the top of his / her game too. Dino & Kolohe would be the closest to the Hos and the Colopintos would probably round out this list. One of my life goals is to be still able to paddle out with my boys on a shortboard in solid surf when I'm Mike Ho's age. So much respect for what Mike Ho has been able to do and a big part of what's driving me to stay in the game as I approach my mid 50s.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
if we did combined points for best year on the asp ct, do the irons take it? without doin the math my guess is yes
I'd guess the H0bg00ds and I wouldn't be surprised if Cory and Shea Lopez were also higher.

Also like to nominate Rusty and Greg Long for rushing cred and I don't see them mentioned yet, or missed them, but Christian and Nathan Fletcher were very influential.

Reactions: JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Shea and Corey Lopez are a great pair as well. Still ripping and never flamed out with drugs, ego, and whatever else was going on with a lot of 90s and 2000 surfers.

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
Brother sister would be between Owen/Tyler and Mason/Coco. I'd give it to Mason/Coco because they for sure have more stoke/fun in addition to ripping and style that is off the charts. Coco's surfing to me is every bit as radical and pleasing to watch as Stephanie Gilmore or any other woman on tour.

Parent / Child would be another good one to look at. Mike and Mason Ho would probably win that one with the Mike and Coco combo taking second place. Lot of parent/child ripper combos where the parent and child both ripped in their day but I can't think of another where the father was still surfing at a super high level while the kids were at the top of his / her game too. Dino & Kolohe would be the closest to the Hos and the Colopintos would probably round out this list. One of my life goals is to be still able to paddle out with my boys on a shortboard in solid surf when I'm Mike Ho's age. So much respect for what Mike Ho has been able to do and a big part of what's driving me to stay in the game as I approach my mid 50s.
In the Parent / Child category I think that would be hard to beat Nat & Beau Young with 7 world championships. Nat's last title was in 1990 and Beau's first was 2000, so not much of a gap.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
In the Parent / Child category I think that would be hard to beat Nat & Beau Young with 7 world championships. Nat's last title was in 1990 and Beau's first was 2000, so not much of a gap.
If this was the 1960s and this was a longboarding forum you'd have a point. :nana::nana: :ROFLMAO: :nana::nana:

If we are allowing longboarding into the conversation, Herbie and Cristian Fletcher would have been a good parent child combo back in the day.

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
Lot of parent/child ripper combos where the parent and child both ripped in their day but I can't think of another where the father was still surfing at a super high level while the kids were at the top of his / her game too. Dino & Kolohe would be the closest to the Hos and the Colopintos would probably round out this list.
Shane & Noah Beschen