Surfer Ears 3.0...

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
One think worth mentioning is that plugs like the christmas tree style ones and Surf Ears to a lesser degree, do go into your canal where the silicon style Macs ones really just block the outer area.

Before I had my ear surgery, I used to wear the christmas tree ones but I found they did tend to push wax and other things deeper into my ear canal and when it was almost blocked, that could be the difference between being able to hear and drain and not.

If your ear passages are relatively clear, it probably doesn't make much difference but if you are close to blocked, sticking stuff in the canal can be a little risky. I actually switched from in ear to over ear headphones during this time as I had my ears clog up on the way from the beach when I stuck my ear buds in on the train shortly after surfing.

But I guess it's a sign that you should probably start thinking about surgery if things like this put you over the edge.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
finally lost a doc proplug after years of hard use. seem to work for me. my ears are like 90%+ closed. working fishing boats and surfing in my youth probably contributed.
Havoc go to tackle shop and score a bag of 3 x swivel hooks loop to docs cords and attach to zipper on suit. Worked great for me before I scored surf ears and my docs would go whole year then I would replace them.

Reactions: Havoc

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The Connor earplugs are like $60. The Macks are $5. The whole point is to keep the ear canal warm rather than seal out all water. The purple Macks work great.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
The Connor earplugs are like $60. The Macks are $5. The whole point is to keep the ear canal warm rather than seal out all water. The purple Macks work great.
Yes but use over and over, leash, and have vent or screen, and great customer service backing up product.

Reactions: Havoc

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Have had em all and been chiseled, which left me with Tinnitus. Picked up Surfers 3 last year on sale for about 30 bones. Before that it was xmas trees. Really nice to be able to hear some again, although it seems that the membrane is a bit clogged and not letting sound in as well. It also appears to have some wear and tear. Leash might be my favorite part and has probably kept me from loosing them. I typically wear a hood, but leash was nice for a hoodless window we had September-Oct, although never had one pop out. Storage pouch is pretty neat too. To each their own thou.... the drilling or chiseling is no fun and will probably leave you with Tinnitus. Plug up, Id say even with a hood.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Bummer about the Tinnitus.

Maybe I got lucky but guy who did mine described it as stalactites and stalagmites. Sometimes you get lucky and a quick hit of the chisel and the thing breaks off and sometimes you need to go deeper. I was fortunate and my surgery lasted all of 5 minutes or so and I was back in the water in a week. No tinnitus but I do get water trapped in there occasionally and try and put 1/2 alcohol and 1/2 vinegar drops in after every surf if I remember.

However I'm not pressing my luck and use the cheap moldable silicon plugs as I've had best luck with those after going through customs, Surf Ears, Xmas trees etc. Use whatever works.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Have had em all and been chiseled, which left me with Tinnitus. Picked up Surfers 3 last year on sale for about 30 bones. Before that it was xmas trees. Really nice to be able to hear some again, although it seems that the membrane is a bit clogged and not letting sound in as well. It also appears to have some wear and tear. Leash might be my favorite part and has probably kept me from loosing them. I typically wear a hood, but leash was nice for a hoodless window we had September-Oct, although never had one pop out. Storage pouch is pretty neat too. To each their own thou.... the drilling or chiseling is no fun and will probably leave you with Tinnitus. Plug up, Id say even with a hood.
+1 vinegar/alocohol 90+%
I wash my plugs out good after surf in plastic cup i fill and allow to soak and pour out and fill around 6 times while I wash out my wetsuit.

Reactions: SeaFoamGreen

jmh

Mar 11, 2002
I got customs from the audiologist made by Westone. I've been wearing the same pair for at least 15 years. They're on a leash. I attach the leash to a twine necklace with a plastic split ring. A heavy wipe will usually dislodge one but they've never popped off the leash. The $ per use is pretty cheap. I recently got a backup set for a very pricey $300 for the fitting and manufacture.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I got customs from the audiologist made by Westone. I've been wearing the same pair for at least 15 years. They're on a leash. I attach the leash to a twine necklace with a plastic split ring. A heavy wipe will usually dislodge one but they've never popped off the leash. The $ per use is pretty cheap. I recently got a backup set for a very pricey $300 for the fitting and manufacture.
Swivel hook attached to zipper works well unless your fortunate enough to wear trunks all year but if that was the case you would not need plugs:)

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Does your custom set go into your ear canal or is it mostly an outer ear plug (like a Doc's Pro Plug)?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
About 10 years back I got customs from this guy in the UK for about $100:

The fit was excellent. The do go into the ear canal in addition to filling in the outer ear.

2 main fears made me never use them.

- They fit my ears so well I had trouble getting them out. Almost felt like there was a suction effect. This made me conerned smacking my head on the water migh cause me to blow a drum.
- was worried about blowing a drum and the inability to equalize in big surf

And yes, I worry about blowing a drum because it will probably mean surgery for me.

jmh

Mar 11, 2002
Does your custom set go into your ear canal or is it mostly an outer ear plug (like a Doc's Pro Plug)?
The audiologist squirts a quick-set foam into your ears. They pop it out and send them to be made. I'd say the plug goes into your ear canal about a quarter inch. They're comfortable. You can hear. Water gets past the plug but your body warms that water so it doesn't cause the exotosis as much. I figure 20 cents per go-out if you surf 100 sessions per year times 15 years, cheaper if you surf more.

Reactions: jkb

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
The audiologist squirts a quick-set foam into your ears. They pop it out and send them to be made. I'd say the plug goes into your ear canal about a quarter inch. They're comfortable. You can hear. Water gets past the plug but your body warms that water so it doesn't cause the exotosis as much. I figure 20 cents per go-out if you surf 100 sessions per year times 15 years, cheaper if you surf more.
So the plug doesn't go as deep into your ear canal as one of those Christmas tree plugs, right? From what I'm gathering its a bit more shallow?

jmh

Mar 11, 2002
So the plug doesn't go as deep into your ear canal as one of those Christmas tree plugs, right? From what I'm gathering its a bit more shallow?
I never tried Christmas trees. The "arm" that goes into your ear canal on my plugs is blobby and rounded. The plug itself is about as soft as an eraser. It has never caused discomfort. Westone is a reputable company. They get their work from audiologists. I assume safety is a major concern

Reactions: jkb