Surfboard glassing

Dec 3, 2022
Hi guys,

I’m venturing into the world of customs and heavier glassing and was wondering why the common step up in glassing is from 4x4x4 to 4x6x4 and not 4x4x6
I understand that the deck is under the most stress from your feet, but if trying to prevent clean snaps, wouldn’t some extra glass on the bottom add more strength to the overall structure.

Apologies if this is a dumb question

Cheers fellas

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
I think a lot of glassers speak to a balanced glassing schedule. I believe the idea there is that you don't want one part of the laminate significantly weaker than another so it is more prone to a break... Afaik, a layup schedule is only ever as strong as it's weakest link (core included)... Also the resonance and weight of the surfboard are important... there are a million ways to accomplish this

I don't know many folks doing 4+4 / 6 as a result, and most do 6+4 / 6, but there are a million other glassing options folks don't talk about, e.g. 5oz glass, bias weaves, s-glass (stiff af in my experience). Here are a few from stretch (scroll down): http://www.stretchboards.com/news/2015/06/22/cft-construction-unique-lamination-process/

I'm sure experts disagree and practical experience means everything. Stamps mentioned above is another master, so YMMV.

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
I usually get 646 for my step ups. Would get 44/6 for my good wave shorties most of the time too. At the far extreme, I got one of my guns glassed 6664 and that was too much.

One thing that doesn't get talked about enough imo is epoxy resin. In my experience it noticeably reduces weight and tends to be stronger than PU resin. Around these parts it costs $50 extra or so and I think it's worth it.

Reactions: One-Off and ehiunno
Dec 3, 2022
Thanks for your input everyone. The board I'm ordering is a 6'2 step up so im basically looking for one level up from standard 4x4x4 glassing. I think I will go with 4x4 top and single 6 bottom as its seems to make more sense to me. I rarely have issues with deck indentation etc, and am mainly trying to add a little strength without toomuch weight to prevent creasing/clean snaps which seem to plague most of my indo trips.

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Thanks for your input everyone. The board I'm ordering is a 6'2 step up so im basically looking for one level up from standard 4x4x4 glassing. I think I will go with 4x4 top and single 6 bottom as its seems to make more sense to me. I rarely have issues with deck indentation etc, and am mainly trying to add a little strength without toomuch weight to prevent creasing/clean snaps which seem to plague most of my indo trips.
If you stop by Bali lemme know, we can go out for a surf as long as you don't mind waking up early

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
OP didn’t say if this is for a step up/for larger/heavier surf, but if that is the case -

For step ups n heavier waves some added weight is a good thing IMO, so a layer of 6 w a lap is a good idea.want the board engaged, in the water etc and

I like it on the bottom (that’s what she said) to balance the cloth thickness top n bottom.

haar

Michael Peterson status
Apr 28, 2011
Oceanside
I do 5/4oz deck, 5oz bottom.

Same weight as 6/4, 4 but extra strength on both sides.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Ive been doing 4+4 x 4+4 on my step ups for years. Same weight as 646 but more of the glass is on the bottom which is where dents and dings bother me most. We rarely have clean conditions here so a little extra weight is nice to keep the board settled when dealing with texture and bumps in bigger surf.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
No likey dents and dings on my board bottoms either. I realize it's gonna happen, but any recs for minimizing that on any type board without going tank level glassing?

As for the deck, went 4e with a 4s deck patch based on some recs here and seems pretty strong, yet standard 4e on bottom. Also a TPat and his glass jobs seem legit granted I only have had one of his boards.

Reactions: daave and Aruka

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Getting technical, If you go 4/4 4/4, the center of mass moves away from the deck. This means the compressive stress on the deck is lessoned, the load is spread out over more foam. Making your boar less prone to buckling. Best thing to do is make top and bottom be the same.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Getting technical, If you go 4/4 4/4, the center of mass moves away from the deck. This means the compressive stress on the deck is lessoned, the load is spread out over more foam. Making your boar less prone to buckling. Best thing to do is make top and bottom be the same.
Interesting, I think every board I've seen glassed is single layer bottom and two layer deck. I glassed my last three: 4.5/2 deck 4/2 bottom and the flex ,so far, feels better

Reactions: Senor Sopa

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
No likey dents and dings on my board bottoms either. I realize it's gonna happen, but any recs for minimizing that on any type board without going tank level glassing?

As for the deck, went 4e with a 4s deck patch based on some recs here and seems pretty strong, yet standard 4e on bottom. Also a TPat and his glass jobs seem legit granted I only have had one of his boards.
T Patterson has some of the best poly glassing I've ever gotten on standard 444 boards.

As far as making a board that doesn't dent on the bottom I guess you can go more glass (6oz. or double 4oz.), heavier blank, different blank material (eps or xtr, definitely not varial for dent resistence).

I did the heavier glassed (646 I think) XTR option on my last couple and the weight is about like a 444 Poly but they seem quite a bit stronger. Good for daily driver stuff but maybe still a little lively for step ups or guns depending on ones tastes.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I got my last XTR glassed 644 (with a stringer) and the deck looked pristine when I cleaned the wax to sell it, and it had lots of use.

Reactions: Aruka

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Ive been doing 4+4 x 4+4 on my step ups for years. Same weight as 646 but more of the glass is on the bottom which is where dents and dings bother me most. We rarely have clean conditions here so a little extra weight is nice to keep the board settled when dealing with texture and bumps in bigger surf.
On your Stamps too?

Ive been going 444 all S cloth on steps from him (with good results), but that might be a solid alternative option.