Surfboard: from love to hate.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Well hate may be too strong a word, but has anyone else experienced having a board that you love, many really great, memorable rides on it, put it aside rotating through the quiver, bring it back out and man the board just does not feel right; like I really liked this board?!?!

-just experienced this and so odd, to have connected so well with it and now thinking of letting it go.

:shrug:

Reactions: JDJ

Turtle71

Nep status
Jan 19, 2010
NE FL
Did anything change? Gain weight? Not the same fins you had in it when you loved it? Skill level improve?

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
Well hate may be too strong a word, but has anyone else experienced having a board that you love, many really great, memorable rides on it, put it aside rotating through the quiver, bring it back out and man the board just does not feel right; like I really liked this board?!?!

-just experienced this and so odd, to have connected so well with it and now thinking of letting it go.

yes

the epicness of a board is relative to the previous board u were used to

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Did anything change? Gain weight? Not the same fins you had in it when you loved it? Skill level improve?
Nope, no changes.

Same fin set up, weigh the same, skill level is static, just didn't connect with it as usual....an awfully strange experience.

Got waves today, maybe I'll try ridding it again.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Well, there's the one thick 6'6" I have which had gotten progressively more glass cracks along the stringer, allowing progressive water leakage. Was a good board in meaty waves but began getting sluggish, both paddling and on the wave. I was actually relieved when I pressed my thumb on the deck and watched a lot of water bubble up. It demonstrated that my incompetence was only partially to blame - always a day brightener.

I started peeling glass and degraded/waterlogged foam. Might have gotten carried away. Way more volume to replace than I had resin so I got a case of the clevers and picked up some Bondo from the hardware store. It took a lot of Qcell to get that color lighter so it's caramel instead of UPS color. Definitely a sturdy repair. Lot of sanding. :roflmao:

And after all that, I haven't surfed this board since as both my 6'7" and 6'8" are better. The question is will that board be lighter or heavier with the Bondo or the water? :drowning:

But yeah, I remember going back and forth between a fish and standard HPSB would always fuck me up for a few sessions.

Last edited:
Reactions: One-Off

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali

Different surf spots obviously make a big difference but you've probably considered that already.

Also obvious is that going from a stiffer board to a loser one, or vice versa, can be a big difference. Usually only takes a few waves to get reaccustomed though.

Reactions: kidfury

pastel

OTF status
Nov 23, 2022
sometimes waves can look the same, but have very different things going on underneath. could it be the waves had that x factor for shittiness and not be the board at all? i've had boards feel great and then the tide switches and they feel terrible in same session. just wrong currents or flat spots or push etc etc

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
maybe the waves. take it to Maccas and you'll think it's the best boar ever

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Yes, I started riding a new board 90% of the time and upgraded my technique as documented in the wave ki thread, and now I don't like any of my older boards as much as I used to. Kind of want to do a full quiver rebuild.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Yes happened to me once and was the strangest thing.

I had a HS HK twin that went so well when I first got it. I rode it non stop for a couple months and then started riding some Album twins. About a month later I grabbed the HS for old times sake and it was like a foreign object under my feet. I literally could not get the thing to move on a wave. I’ve swapped between different boards my entire surfing life and never had an issue, so I chalked it up to a bad session. Nope, tried it again about a week later and same thing. I decided to give it one more shot on a decent little swell 2 days before I left on a trip to PR. Caught a right, bottom turned to hit the lip and when I got to the top, the board did something weird and I ended up tearing my MCL. Out of the water for 8 weeks.

I’m pretty sure the thing was possessed…there’s no other logical explanation, so I sold it immediately after my injury.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I gave it away.

When I first moved here, had a 2 board quiver, 6'4 and a 9'4. After thickening up the quiver to 8 or 9 boards, went back to the 6'4" one day, next day gifted it to my nephew who loved it.

More than anything it freaked me out and made me come to terms with the inevitable frustration of all broken aging surfers getting old.... 1st to go are the shortboards, then the midlengths and when you cannot physically paddle out on a log anymore because of pain it's finally time to hang it up and care for what remains of your tattered body.

Fook u 4 bringing it up and making me cry, again.

:cry::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::foreheadslap::loser:

pastel

OTF status
Nov 23, 2022
switching it around. i had a board i hated, rode it like twice and was done with it. was a year a later and broke a board so decide i try it again. it was ok. then it became good, and soon i fell in love. rode it until its end and it will forever have a special place in my personal surf history. go figure.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Fuh yeah . Flatter no-longer modern hybrid board. Some days I pop up and go, some it's just out of control foot placement too forward, too back just hanging on or worse.
Revaluating options at 54 almost.
If I hit half the Powerball I can buy a few different things and squander 5 more years trying to figure which one makes it least painful. Hopefully.
Trying not to feel sorry for myself, amidst many inspirational people here. Aging sucks.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Well, there's the one thick 6'6" I have which had gotten progressively more glass cracks along the stringer, allowing progressive water leakage. Was a good board in meaty waves but began getting sluggish, both paddling and on the wave. I was actually relieved when I pressed my thumb on the deck and watched a lot of water bubble up. It demonstrated that my incompetence was only partially to blame - always a day brightener.
I was out on a fairly big day on a newish board. First few waves felt unreal. Then I kind of kooked a cutback. A couple waves later on my backside I couldn’t make it around a section. A guy saw I was riding a wood board and asked if it was a Hess. I told him I made it myself. “It’s a twinzer.” I held the fins up out of the water to show the guy. “Is it supposed to be asymetric?” What? I looked at the fins and one of the mains was gone- a (now irreplaceable) Greg Griffin fin.:cry:

But at least it explained the wobbly cutback and lack of backside drive. I was laying on just the little canard. :roflmao:

• Sad
Reactions: TeamScam

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Turns out it was the leash string!

Well rode the board yesterday in some pretty crappy conditions, onshore wind, but ridable and it felt better, but I was mindful of how I was riding it. I had a few of the same crappy feeling 'situations', but I think after riding all of the higher performance boards during the recent hurricane swells, I brought that more aggressive/oversurfed surf style to this board and it doesn't really like it.

I'll run some more tests to be sure...

A ride from when I knew that I loved her unconditionally.....:cry:

Surf.png