Surf Trip Anxiety

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Any of you board hoarders ever get anxiety trying to single down 2-3 boards for a surf trip? Day to day I'm always second guessing what to bring but on a surf trip after 5 year hiatus traveling (2 kids 13 months apart) it's on another level. I kind of long for the days when I was too broke to have options and it was HPSB plus groveler or step up depending on the location.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Yes. Also, I just had my first kid, so I can empathize to some extent.

For me, it always comes down to a gametime decision based on the forecast, packing the night before takeoff. I also need a close buddy to discuss the options at length, with a lot of patience.

When are you leaving? Let's all discuss / argue about the decision right here.

Obv. going to need a full quiver list.

Reactions: JDJ

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Yes. Also, I just had my first kid, so I can empathize to some extent.

For me, it always comes down to a gametime decision based on the forecast, packing the night before takeoff. I also need a close buddy to discuss the options at length, with a lot of patience.

When are you leaving? Let's all discuss / argue about the decision right here.

Obv. going to need a full quiver list.
Salina Cruz in a week. Swell looks bigger first days then tapering. Thinking 6'1 SMTH: Varial shaped for Jordy works in everything and has extra volume if its pumping but maybe a little too much foam if its perfect, 6'1 Driver 2.0 bladey works well but needs to be on rail doesn't like slow waves. Wildcard is which stubby HPSB to bring. I've been leaning towards the T Patterson Scorpion I just got but have a OG flyer I love, Sub Driver 2 that's good, Inferno 72 that's good but pretty beat up or maybe something weird like a Twinsman or TPat RNF. I've been there 3 times and know the waves will make anything work well but still....

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Salina Cruz in a week. Swell looks bigger first days then tapering. Thinking 6'1 SMTH: Varial shaped for Jordy works in everything and has extra volume if its pumping but maybe a little too much foam if its perfect, 6'1 Driver 2.0 bladey works well but needs to be on rail doesn't like slow waves. Wildcard is which stubby HPSB to bring. I've been leaning towards the T Patterson Scorpion I just got but have a OG flyer I love, Sub Driver 2 that's good, Inferno 72 that's good but pretty beat up or maybe something weird like a Twinsman or TPat RNF. I've been there 3 times and know the waves will make anything work well but still....
how are the crowds down there these days?

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
how are the crowds down there these days?
I have no idea but last time I was there I managed to get waves at premier spot with a dozen pro's in the water. Everyone was trading off and being respectful as we knew we were all just visitors (even the Hawaiians).

Reactions: JDJ and Havoc

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Wow. Forecast looks epic and pumping. First two for sure and probably the OG Flyer. But I can see bringing the twinsman too if you want one alt craft. Doubt you’ll be on anything but the first two if Surfline’s forecast is accurate.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Any of you board hoarders ever get anxiety trying to single down 2-3 boards for a surf trip? Day to day I'm always second guessing what to bring but on a surf trip after 5 year hiatus traveling (2 kids 13 months apart) it's on another level. I kind of long for the days when I was too broke to have options and it was HPSB plus groveler or step up depending on the location.
Can't you just use one of Subway's boars?

schex

Miki Dora status
Jun 9, 2015
OB/Point Loma
Just got back - crowded af compared to during covid - if wind is down many more options - with the crowds use something that takes off better in white water (stable/floaty) - It's really hot too - so mid days are way mellower if you can swing it -

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I find I never ride the weird boards on trips.

When I do, I think about how much better my hp boar would go on the good ones.

I say leave the funky (master of nothing) stuff at home. You are surfing for memories, not to kill time and avoid chores like we do at home.

schex

Miki Dora status
Jun 9, 2015
OB/Point Loma
you using the Tomo midlenghts to belly board in the whitewater? and you go all the way to Mex to do that? :roflmao:

just giving you a hard time cuz this is the first time ive seen you post in a forum actually about surfing.
I wished I had midlengths. My buddy had a 6'10" Bonzer that was heavier and bigger than anything I had. It is a weird deal but when paddling out there are opportunities if you can take off in strong bouncy whitewash