Surf Nazis in the NYT

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Surfing has become so pussified.

Back when I was a kid it was frowned upon. We were derelicts. Later on it morphed into Punk. Surfing was A Big Fuck You To You. And it was good. Grow up, earn your salt.

Now every valley retard who owns a Subaru thinks they are a local. I miss the old days. I want to crush skulls.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
<<iframe width="480" height="360" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Article was written by my least favorite type of surfer and it’s clear from first phrase of the sub head...

”When I set out to become a surfer....”

He wanted to be “a surfer.” He was after the image, the “lifestyle”.

He wasn’t doing it to ride waves.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Article was written by my least favorite type of surfer and it’s clear from first phrase of the sub head...

”When I set out to become a surfer....”

He wanted to be “a surfer.” He was after the image, the “lifestyle”.

He wasn’t doing it to ride waves.
Also notice he lived here for a year

An adult learner isn't going to be doing sh!t after a year

And what’s the relevance of mentioning the race of everyone he writes about?
He's woke. Not acknowledging race is racist or something

Come to think of it, surfing in itself is racist, classist, and ableist. It should be banned

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i often think if i was raised many miles from the beach i wouldnt surf

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
The point is surfers are racist and California is dripping with racism.

And that's pretty much all there is here...racism.

Hopefully he'll write another article about racism.
The NYT is being racist by not letting me read that article for free

Reactions: PJ

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
i often think if i was raised many miles from the beach i wouldnt surf
As it should be. You'd ride dirtbikes, smoke meth, and blow stuff up in the desert. OC kids would envy your lifestyle but know that geography prevents them from ever experiencing it.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Sure, (Brave and Chrome aren't blocking for me(?))

Pt 1:

The Long, Strange Tale of California’s Surf Nazis
When I set out to become a surfer, I didn’t realize what I was getting myself into.

By Daniel Duane
Mr. Duane is the author of the surfing memoir “Caught Inside: A Surfer’s Year on the California Coast.”
  • Sept. 28, 2019

White youths heading to the beach in California to surf, in 1961.

White youths heading to the beach in California to surf, in 1961.CreditCreditAllan Grant/The LIFE Picture Collection, via Getty Images

San Francisco — The first time I saw a swastika in the wild, I happened to be carrying a surfboard. The year was 1989. I’d just come home from college hungry to claim the California identity that felt like my birthright. I could not have told you what that identity was except that its highest form appeared to be something like a blue-eyed, blond surfer with a golden tan, preternaturally skilled at riding the waves of his native beach.

I was a pink-skinned redhead who’d grown up too far inland to learn the way you’re supposed to — as a kid, at the surf spot down the block. My mom and dad were more about left-wing politics than California identity, and my years at Berkeley High School involved more protest marches than beach parties.

On the upside, I had a cool surfer uncle who’d ridden all the most famous waves in Hawaii and California. I’d always wanted to be like him, and he’d obliged with a couple of lessons in my teens. My uncle taught me the lingo, too, and gave me confidence that surfing could be mine. Around the time I graduated from college, he bought me a pointy little surfboard with two fins.

To get started, I drove from Berkeley to Santa Cruz, the hippie town where locals once sued Huntington Beach over the trademark
Surf City U.S.A. I parked near a sea cliff where beautiful youth strolled sunny sidewalks radiating physical well-being and belonging. Looking out over the waves, I watched somebody soar across a blue sparkling wall of water. I wanted all of it, always and forever — freedom in the Pacific, daily contact with infinity. Pulling on my wet suit, I started down concrete steps toward the sea and saw that swastika spray-painted next to the phrase, “Kooks go home.”

I remembered that swastika last month when video surfaced of high school water-polo players in affluent Garden Grove, Calif., making the Nazi sieg-heil salute and chanting an obscure Nazi marching song. This kind of idiocy has been on the rise since last year.
Anti-Defamation League statistics show anti-Semitic attacks in California up 27 percent between 2017 and 2018. Last March, in the still-wealthier-and-whiter town of Newport Beach, Calif., students arranged plastic red cups in a swastika for a drinking game, then photographed one another gleefully sieg-heiling as if that were just totally hilarious.

Reactions: Bearnie Slanders