Surf Helmets

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
C.
still not for me...but...
my kid went through the concussion thing - from lacrosse - it sucked.

surf-shot.com

Nep status
Feb 10, 2008
www.surf-shot.com
surf-shot-Mick-Davey-11-January-2021--0019.jpg

surf-shot-Chris-Ryan-22-November-2012--0086.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I fail to understand how a helmet helps with anything that's not a skull injury (board hitting you?you hitting bottom).

Slapping the flats, or the lip hitting me will still shake my brain around, right?

Reactions: GromsDad

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Don’t know if it’s been posted earlier, but Koa Smith and Tom Carroll wear / have used these soft surf helmets by DMC. Pretty much like a rugby helmet. Not as much as a hard helmet, but certainly better than nothing for impact protection. Plus they look way easier to surf and duckdive in.
I’d consider this one as a gateway to a more serious helmet. Like others have said, with the nuts crowds at some spots these days, it makes sense. Others’ boars hitting you is biggest risk IMO. Although I did get a concussion last year from my boar hitting me as I popped up from a wipeout. Any helmet would’ve helped with that.

The video where Koa talks about it is gone from his Instagram story, but here it is: https://www.tiktok.com/@itskoasmith/video/7187396333953617195

• Love
Reactions: santacruzin

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Hitting my head on a shallow reef in the middle of nowhere. I bet you can still get concussed though.
I think this would be my concern and only time I would consider wearing a helmet. If it was me I would look what is worn out at pipe most often and buy from company who has made helmets for surfing longest. My one and only time I thought I was going to get impaled on the reef. I was caught inside on set and luckily did not let go of board and instead duck dive. My board snapped in half under me but my body stayed off reef and only got cut after from broken glass from my board:drowning: