Surf hat recommendation

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The pain will have to be a lot worse before I give up the "activity." We just had a little swell and there's no feeling like it....I'm just hoping for another...15-20 years? How old are you PPK? Still going for it? I think of Clyde Aikau in the last Eddie. Michael Ho in a recent discussion here. Just trying to get a few more go outs out of this aging vehicle...

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Since I made this post I've tried a couple hats. Both bugged me with the bill- when you're head is down you can't see where you're going, and because of my neck issues I prefer to keep my head down when I paddle for long distances. The baseball cap was better, because I could flip it around and wear it backwards, but with the one you show you couldn't really do that. I had mine tied to my wetsuit string (I'm usingI a vertical back zip spring right now).

How's your head healing up? Quickly I hope.

ps someone should make a hat with a snap up front bill like the pony expressThe-Pony-Express-St.-Joseph-oil-by-Walter-Martin-Baumhofer_scaled.jpg

pps and while they're at it, they should make a wetsuit with fringes so you could rock the wave like Hendrix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I have two of these orange and white

just pcked up the osprey camo version of this hat for longboarding

Reactions: Havoc

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Get one with a soft brim. Sucks duckdiving with the stiff kind.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
I will vouch for the Shelta Surf Hat, 100%. Plastic in the front brim keeps it from dropping down in front of your eyes while the back of the hat drops over your next when surfing adding sun protection. I wish I had one of these in 1967-68. Works great!

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Not a hat, but the hooded Patagonia rash guard is great. Much prefer it to a hat and it'll handle real waves. You can flip the bill up or down. It's not huge but does a good job blocking sun. Had a skin cancer spot so I've been wearing this when it's sunny.

Reactions: john4surf

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I got one of those Da Kine brimmed hats w/ the chin strap and removable neck cover. It works. I like that the chin strap goes over my ears so it keeps my ear plugs in. It's also camo so not only am I protecting my fair skin but I'm doing it in style.

Reactions: retodd

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Any recs for the jacket/rashie with the included hat?

cant be ”that guy“ wearing the hat. feel less weird if it’s built into my top, like a hood.

also don’t want to deal with duck dives if it’s decent out.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
my brother uses this oneil rashie with the hood and brim
He like's it only pulls it up when he's burning

I picked up one of these cheaper hooded fishing shirts for the covid lineup and beach crowd.
I like-em fatboy loose
lineup

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
a few of my hatz, over thee yearz,
+ yep, they can alll go in thee water,:
RW~01.JPG

+
even if~ie i, you, were to go switch~ie foot, on an egg!

RW-04.JPG
+
FILE1487~01.JPG

this here style workz pretty good, if ya yak, also:
IMG_0100~01.JPG
hahaha...
:)

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I’ve been doing it prophylactically for years. Think of it like wearing braces on your teeth. Over time it uncompresses the spine (or at least slows it’s inevitable compression).

There’s no quick fix that lasts. Every day, protect your neck.
This. You gotta keep up the pre/re-hab

Don't pull a white belt move like @SixtyGrit and forget to do all your neck exercises during lockdown then f^ck yourself up first day back at jiu jitsu! LOL!

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
The pain will have to be a lot worse before I give up the "activity." We just had a little swell and there's no feeling like it....I'm just hoping for another...15-20 years? How old are you PPK? Still going for it? I think of Clyde Aikau in the last Eddie. Michael Ho in a recent discussion here. Just trying to get a few more go outs out of this aging vehicle...
74 y/o. I had a bout with a bum shoulder for a while. I couldn't raise my right arm up over my head. Had to do physical therapy with some silly azz, face the wall poses with my right arm against the wall or palm with some heat and major vibrator applications. It seemed to work and I'm trying to get 4 to 5 mile walks in the early AM. As you know, summer time here is rehab, flat water time for me so I've been paddling from the Hanalei pier down to PineTree's and back to get arms in shape and some minor cardio in. COVID, has put a few extra pounds on me so I'm working on that as well ~
I hope You and the Mrs are well. Be vigilant. Be safe!! :waving: oh yeah. NO hat for the bald head.
Love and Aloha from Kauai's north shore ~

btw, Hackman was in doing PT as well. :ROFLMAO:
Felipe Pomar, is till an animal ~ co-founder with Jeff ~ Surf to 100

Last edited:

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
In my advancing years parts of my body are rebelling against my favorite activity- surfing.

I've found that lately the "head flick" to get the hair out of my face is causing all kind of neck problems. It's to the point where it causes tingling and numbness in my hand. In the winter I wear a hood (for that other creeping ailment- surfer's ear), but I think I need something for the summer. One of the things I feel lucky for is a full head of hair and I keep it kind of long so I need something.

Anybody here use a hat, one that doesn't get in the way and doesn't too kooky?
Bit of a necro-thread, but here is my surf hat. Very goofy! I can't be out in the sun (Albino Pride).
1605104055638.png