Surf Coaching

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I looked at his site just to see his business model.

Monthly subscription and you get one chapter (focusing on one move e.g. bottom turn, backside snape, etc) every 21 days. There are 18+ chapters. You get access to live Q&A. Subscription is $30 per month or $259 per year.
so worth it or no? which is the best value? i like the amanzi one but too expensive. also, i think a lot of the coaching doesnt cover nuances like in a roundhouse dont push to hard in the first 1/2 of the turn or u'll scrub off all your speed. etc.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I'm too broke to be able to pay for coaching. But i would if i had the money. I just try and study guys my size like Racer said. That's how we did it back in the day with skateboarding. Hit pause, then the fast forward button to do the slow mo on the VCR... Then go out and try and do it yourself. haha.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Go to Tavarua for a week and ask the lifeguards to give you tips. Spendy but a week on Tavarua is not cheap anyways but pumping Cloudbreak is so worth the $$$.
I haven't been since 2003 when I proposed to my wife. Our plan was to go for our 10th and 20th anniversaries, but the 2010 decree pushed me to look for a different location (we went to the Maldives for our 10th) since I couldn't imagine spending that kind of money and potentially having 30-50 people out at Cloudbreak or Restaurants. How are the crowds late summer/early fall since it's been opened up to everyone? My wife really wants to go back in 2024.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I haven't been since 2003 when I proposed to my wife. Our plan was to go for our 10th and 20th anniversaries, but the 2010 decree pushed me to look for a different location (we went to the Maldives for our 10th) since I couldn't imagine spending that kind of money and potentially having 30-50 people out at Cloudbreak or Restaurants. How are the crowds late summer/early fall since it's been opened up to everyone? My wife really wants to go back in 2024.
What Freeride said...

While there are a lot of people out at Cloudbreak, it's a big playing field and most people tend to stay up the reef and avoid the Shish kebabs section where you can get the tube of your life multiple times a session.
Stick with the Lifeguards and they'll get you into some good ones. It's their job to get you the wave of your life (plus the better the waves the bigger the tip).

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
What Freeride said...

While there are a lot of people out at Cloudbreak, it's a big playing field and most people tend to stay up the reef and avoid the Shish kebabs section where you can get the tube of your life multiple times a session.
Stick with the Lifeguards and they'll get you into some good ones. It's their job to get you the wave of your life (plus the better the waves the bigger the tip).
Lifeguards? That must be something new since I went. The boatmen were pretty hands-off back in 2003. I found my limit out there which was solid 8'. I became a little too familiar with the bottom at the Shish-kebab's section of the reef on the big (for me) day. I swapped boards with a friend of mine who was shaping my boards at the time and got pinched on a solid one, broke the leash and was swimming through the stag head coral minefield in maybe three feet of water with non stop rolling whitewater bowling me over. This went on for at least 10 minutes until there was a long enough lull that the boat go close enough to me to swim to. I was pretty spent and the swell was still growing and finally was too big for everyone's boards/balls. I came out of that nightmare without a scratch.

We stopped off at the right in front of John Roseman's place on the way back. It was maybe a foot overhead, super playful, but the end section bent in so hard it was pretty tricky negotiating the tight little barrels backside. I got pushed pretty deep after not making it out of one of the barrels and was pulling at my leash to get back to the surface. The trailing edge of my fin ended up cutting open the tip of my middle finger pretty good (had to get a few stitches) and as I was paddling back to the boat I got Man-O-War tentacles wrapped around the back of my right knee and calf which hurt a lot worse than the cut finger.

We had the Gudauskas family on our trip and it was the boys' first time there and they were charging. Their mom Nancy filmed most of the sessions and got footage of everyone. We'd all watch the sessions after dinner each night which was super fun.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
when i went it was super small,,, long lulls and some big guy on a LONGBOARD got the few good ones that came thru. i couldn't believe that sht. i also saw a lot of that reef at cloud break. i messed up a few waves for a guy on a fish:shameonyou: he seemed pretty pissed... one of the boat guys, from new zealand was rrrrrrriiippin.

then we had to go surf friggn Desperations!!! i actually got a pretty big one there,,but fck is not what u go all the way to Fiji for. Most beautiful water I've ever seen though.

Last edited:
Reactions: MathDebater

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
when i went it was super small,,, long lulls and some big guy on a LONGBOARD got the few good ones that came thru. i couldn't believe that sht. i also saw a lot of that reef at cloud break. i messed up a few waves for a guy on a fish:shameonyou: he seemed pretty pissed... one of the boat guys, from new zealand was rrrrrrriiippin.

then we had to go surf friggn Desperations!!! i actually got a pretty big one there,,but fck is not what u go all the way to Fiji for. Most beautiful water I've ever seen though.
That's a bummer. I only saw Desperations while out on a fishing excursion. We had a board on the boat and Tanner and Pat Gudauskas went out for a couple to cool off. The wave looked pretty terrible and trippy how there was nothing to really line-up with.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
last time I was there Sep 2015 for two weeks it was pretty much 6-10ft Cloudbreak every day.

we stayed at the cheap island .....one boat trip a day. Spent 4-6hrs per session. intense.
we scored weed of a boatmen and were blitzed before paddle out.

I took a 6'3", 6'9" and 7'6" and barely surfed the 6'3".

Lots of uncrowded sessions where a boat load would come out from Tav. Get one big clean-up set on the head and then head back to Restaurants.

Best day it was overcast 8-10ft. No one else out but us. Went oil slick sheet glass for a few hours ...........those tube-rides still play in my mind.

In that 2 weeks I saw far more sick waves going through unridden than ridden.

lots and lots of heavy doughnuts eaten per session.