Support your local retailers (surf shops)

OTIS

Michael Peterson status
Sep 3, 2002
ENCINITAS, CA, USA
Holiday shopping season is the worst. X-mas shopping is a hassle. I don't like going to the malls anytime of the year. December is too much for me, I can't do it! <BR>This year I'm going to support my local small retailers. I went yesterday to an independent toy store. They had a nice selection and competitive prices. The line to check out was all of two people deep. I will be going to my local surf shop and independent record shops, this week for a couple of other gifts. I think as surfers, it is important to support our local surf shops. It is also important for our economy that the small retailer survives. Don't assume that a specialty store is going to be way over priced. Give them a look, give them a chance to serve you. They are important members of your community, as well as your local economy. At this time of year, keep in mind that you might save a couple of dollars at the big mall. You will definatly save time and strain by avoiding the big mall. Don't forget about the time spent just trying to park at the big mall, AAAAHHHHHH!<BR>I do shop at the big malls and big chain stores throughout the year. I don't buy walking shorts at the local surf shop unless they are on sale. I do buy all of my trunks at the local surf shops. Walking shorts of about the same quality (Billabong, Quik, etc.)can be found at Wal-mart or Target etc., at much cheaper prices. Always check the sales rack at your local surf shop first. I don't know about you all, but I wear shorts 3/4 of the year. Walking shorts are a disposible item to me. <BR>I got through a large chunk of X-mas shopping in record time with low stress by going to the local small retailer. Don't forget about the locals.

abalone

Michael Peterson status
Jan 16, 2002
Good reminder, especially this time of year. I avoid The Mall, can't stand shopping (am I really female???), and patronize small independent stores whenever possible. (I find it hardest with grocery stores.)<P>But remember, Friends don't let friends drink Starbucks.

OTIS

Michael Peterson status
Sep 3, 2002
ENCINITAS, CA, USA
Abalone,<BR>Good on ya for the local support. It is really hard to food shop without going to the Vons or Safeway etc.. Locally, we have Trader Joes and Henry's. They are the closest thing to the small grocery store. I give them lots of business. The green grocer is a thing of the past, unfortunately. <BR>I never go to Starbucks.

Spray92109

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
San Diego, CA, USA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OTIS:<BR><B>Locally, we have Trader Joes and Henry's. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Where do you live again?

OTIS

Michael Peterson status
Sep 3, 2002
ENCINITAS, CA, USA
Encinitas Spray. Come up and surf with me sometime buddy.<BR>By the way, your name is your zip code?<BR>You have some great small retailers down your way. The Black for instance.

Spray92109

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
San Diego, CA, USA
The Black? That's by Biker Beach. I live in SDSU West.
<P>I'm in PB. Henry's and TJs are across the street from each other, forming a symbiotic relationship that allows me, with an occasional trip to Long's and Target, to completely avoid the evil Vons/Ralph's continuum.<P>And yeah, let's surf! Like an idiot, I crushed and broke a finger, so I have had to stay out of the water. Get the stitches out tomorrow, we'll see what the doc says about the broken bone.